CDZ Should the parents of gang members be arrested for accessory to murder, manslaughter and attempted murder?

2aguy

Diamond Member
Jul 19, 2014
The parents of the Michigan school shooter have been arrested and charged with manslaughter......the warning they apparently recieved about their child was a scary picture and scary writing...the day the shooting occurred....

Meanwhile...the parent/parents of actual gang members have far more knowledge of their violent children and their activities........up to and including murder, manslaughter.....

Should the parents of gang members be charged with the same crimes as the Michigan school shooter>

Absolutely!

Parents should bare some responsibility for the actions of their offspring for their entire lives.

There are some 68,000 gang members in Chicago............those prisons are going to fill up with single parents and couples...

No. Not unless they were aware of the crucial facts and circumstances (other than that their children had become a gang member) which would indicate the likelihood of some imminent danger to somebody else.

To put that in different terms: in our laws, usually, the alleged “accomplice” has to have shared a common motive with the main actor in a crime and done something in furtherance of the commission of the crime.

The parents of the Michigan school shooter have been arrested and charged with manslaughter......the warning they apparently recieved about their child was a scary picture and scary writing...the day the shooting occurred....

Meanwhile...the parent/parents of actual gang members have far more knowledge of their violent children and their activities........up to and including murder, manslaughter.....

Should the parents of gang members be charged with the same crimes as the Michigan school shooter>

Ethan Crumbley isn't a gang member.

Short version:

To be guilty as an accomplice, the alleged accomplice has to share the “mens rea” with the primary criminal actor and to have performed some some act (the “actus reus”) in furtherance of that crime.

I don’t know if there’s any evidence that the Crumbley parents were even aware of their son’s murderous thinking. So, if not, it is difficult to believe they could “share” his culpable mental state. They may be guilty of different crimes based on what they did know and what they failed to do. But I’m not sure manslaughter is legitimately on the list.

Short version:

To be guilty as an accomplice, the alleged accomplice has to share the “mens rea” with the primary criminal actor and to have performed some some act (the “actus reus”) in furtherance of that crime.

I don’t know if there’s any evidence that the Crumbley parents were even aware of their son’s murderous thinking. So, if not, it is difficult to believe they could “share” his culpable mental state. They may be guilty of different crimes based on what they did know and what they failed to do. But I’m not sure manslaughter is legitimately on the list.

They aren't accused of being accomplices.

If they bought their 15 yr old child the gun they used in their murder(s), knowing their son was disturbed, and didn't take safety measures to keep it from him,

then sure, I can see them being charged with involuntary manslaughter.

If they bought their 15 yr old child the gun they used in their murder, knowing their son was disturbed, and didn't take safety measures to keep it from him,

then sure, I can see them being charged with involuntary manslaughter.

Do you know they knew their kid was disturbed? Big assumption on your part...

The parent/parents of gang members know their kids are criminals engaged in crime and likely violence......with far more evidence than a scary picture and writings...

If they bought those gangbangers their guns then yes they should be arrested. Anyone abetting a crime is a criminal.

Actually, they are being charged under a theory of accessorial liability.

It is a certainty that neither one of them pulled the trigger.

So to charge them with involuntary manslaughter, they HAVE to be charged as being somehow responsible for the acts of another.

Is involuntary manslaughter the charge?

Why don't you let this just play out while all the evidence is collected.
The parents may or may not have known he was going to shoot up the school.
Mom texting "Don't do it." is evidence or not?

Let me ask..... Is it fact or just alleged that she sent this ^^^^^^^^^ text? "Don't do it."

If they bought those gangbangers their guns then yes they should be arrested. Anyone abetting a crime is a criminal.

They know their kid is a gang member, ..............the baby mommas, sisters, mothers, grandmothers are often the straw buyers who buy the guns illegally for their family gang member..........

Why don't you let this just play out while all the evidence is collected.
The parents may or may not have known he was going to shoot up the school.
Mom texting "Don't do it." is evidence or not?

Let me ask..... Is it fact or just alleged that she sent this ^^^^^^^^^ text? "Don't do it."

I am....I am addressing the other posters who have already convicted the parents......without knowing anything about the situation the same way they convicted Kyle Rittenhouse....

Forum List

Back