Should DC become a state and get 2 Senators and voting rights for residents?

When they made it the Capitol, it was just swampland
The founders never envisioned a major city of 700,000 disenfranchised from the vote
And, of course, exempt from state taxes, which they would have to pay and couldn't deduct from their federal taxes.

Frankly, why would it matter?

What matters is what is best for We the People today. I don’t think disenfranchising 700,000 people is best for the country
So give them the same representation people living abroad get, the right to vote absentee.

I am also reminded of the old slogan...No Taxation without Representation.

Does this no longer apply?

LOL, the not a Democrat is stumping for the Democrats ... again ...

Psst, they can vote. And they do. For President and for all their own government. DC not being in a State is in the ... wait for it ... Constitution ...

And BTW, Democrat shill, no one was in DC when the Constitution was written. Everyone who moved there went knowing what it was.

By my count, that's three strikes, you're out ...

I see 700k U.S. citizens without representation. How or who they vote for should not be a consideration for statehood.

Be honest, if it were reverse you would totally oppose it. You just want free Senators and however many congressmen they would get. Your lie is shallow and obvious. All your lies are

And, of course, exempt from state taxes, which they would have to pay and couldn't deduct from their federal taxes.
They are not allowed to collect property taxes from Federal Buildings and museums that are tax exempt.
The city receives a subsidy for the lost revenue

Be honest, if it were reverse you would totally oppose it. You just want free Senators and however many congressmen they would get. Your lie is shallow and obvious. All your lies are
Who says Republicans can’t win Senate Seats?
They manage to do it in other blue states.
Democrats won TWO seats in solid Red Georgia last election

The question is….how much money does DC send to the Federal Government?

And they don’t get a say on how it is spent including other national issues
It is how much they receive. Which is substantially more then they give up. I do not know D.C. Do they have ghettos? If so how much are they giving up? And are those areas artificially improved by massive resources poured into them? They do not need a say on national issues. For they are doing what they want anyway. And getting billions of year free from the Feds on top of their local government.

It is how much they receive. Which is substantially more then they give up. I do not know D.C. Do they have ghettos? If so how much are they giving up? And are those areas artificially improved by massive resources poured into them? They do not need a say on national issues. For they are doing what they want anyway. And getting billions of year free from the Feds on top of their local government.
I seriously doubt they receive more than they pay in federal taxes and that is irrelevant in determining the right to vote.

If that is the case, few Red States would have the right to vote

DC receives 30 cents for every dollar they pay in Federal Taxes

1635364982692.jpeg

I think they pay a city tax since they are not a state
If they become a state, they would pay state and city taxes, and wouldn't be able to deduct them from their federal returns. You don't really think a new democrat state would miss out on that, do you? NYC residents pay all those taxes, and so would the residents of the new state.

I seriously doubt they receive more than they pay in federal taxes and that is irrelevant in determining the right to vote.

If that is the case, few Red States would have the right to vote
It is who are they? the lower class is not paying that. There is a lot of higher price businesses and people in that city. They know the deal. The lower class even gets rebates from the city. Add in state and federal social programs and they are doing okay. They ain't leaving.

If they become a state, they would pay state and city taxes, and wouldn't be able to deduct them from their federal returns. You don't really think a new democrat state would miss out on that, do you? NYC residents pay all those taxes, and so would the residents of the new state.
NYC pays for NY State taxes and City Taxes
In DC it would be the same

It is who are they? the lower class is not paying that. There is a lot of higher price businesses and people in that city. They know the deal. The lower class even gets rebates from the city. Add in state and federal social programs and they are doing okay. They ain't leaving.
Yes
Poor people have it so good

The people of DC pay more Federal Taxes than 30 states but are not allowed to vote on how their tax dollars are spent.

During the Revolution, this was called ”Taxation without Representation”

If you are not going to treat them as US Citizens with voting rights, exempt them from federal taxes like Puerto Rico
Or

like the OP suggested give the land back to Maryland…

Why is that not truly an option?

NYC pays for NY State taxes and City Taxes
In DC it would be the same
An entire state made up of one city. Taxes might be called only one thing, but would for sure go up. You don't think democrats would let them just sit there, do you?

Yes
Poor people have it so good
They do not. But they play the system. The system is designed to not want to leave if you can survive and have a pulse. I do understand what you say. The way from the 1960's has to change. It has peaked out. What ever success has been maxed and now they are going to enforce quotas called equity even worse. We can not compete and the costs are higher and higher.

Forum List

Back