Should DC become a state and get 2 Senators and voting rights for residents?

I thought this thread was about giving the District of Columbia statehood?

You should brush up on the topic.

It's about giving the citizens of the district statehood. The district would still exist however would be considerably smaller. That should be enough info to get you to go google something.

Last edited:
The people of DC pay more Federal Taxes than 30 states but are not allowed to vote on how their tax dollars are spent.

During the Revolution, this was called ”Taxation without Representation”

If you are not going to treat them as US Citizens with voting rights, exempt them from federal taxes like Puerto Rico

They made a deal when they became the Capital.

Who cares if they want DC or not?

Who cares if Maryland wants DC or not? I don't know, Maryland. Next

All your protests do is reveal your true goal, and it's not representation.

Of course it's representation. Next

Here's a thought. Who is REQUIRED to vote on state issues? I'm not, and I live in a state. All that is needed is for the local states to allow remote residents for voting and tax paying purposes.

Those states don't want DC residents, especially virtual ones who don't give two shits about a state they don't even live in. Why do you not get this? Maryland does not want to take either the residents of DC virtually (still, so damn stupid) or not.

And I find it ironic to an extreme that you complain about voters from areas they don't live in influencing elections. They already do, they're Americans living abroad who can vote absentee. Plus, you want additional Senators who will influence life over areas they don't live in.

Really? You don't think 700k people who reside directly next to your state however are not apart of it really have that states best interests? Also, do you think residents of a state are going to give two shits about an area they are not financially tied to? It's so dumb.

Maryland is not interested in joining up with DC and DC feels the same about Maryland.

Let's split CA as well: give So Cal back to Mexico, then split the State down the Middle. Split Alaska into 4, wait, 5 States

Let's split CA as well: give So Cal back to Mexico, then split the State down the Middle. Split Alaska into 4, wait, 5 States

You can certainly push for that. I don't know as they all have at least some amount of representation in Congress which is what DC statehood is about.

I guess you guys can't get passed this being about 2 Democratic senators and nothing more.

This argument comes down to creating two senators from a liberal District, nothing more.
It's the liberals way of stacking the Senate by coming through the back window.
I'm sure that if it was a conservative district that these advocates for statehood would be quiet as church mice.
Things even out in the long run. A low population state like Wyoming with about half a million people has the same power as California with about 40 million people in the senate. Same goes for presidential elections and the electoral vote. A minority party like the republicans all too often win in the presidential elections which is why we got stuck with trump.

You can certainly push for that. I don't know as they all have at least some amount of representation in Congress which is what DC statehood is about.

I guess you guys can't get passed this being about 2 Democratic senators and nothing more.
DC statehood is about giving Dims two more votes in the Senate, and nothing else.

WE understand the reason YOU want state representation for a District.
And, let's clear the air...it ain't about the people, its about the two Senators....PERIOD
No, it's about representation and you can't give me one decent reason why 700k citizens should go without it.

Forum List

Back