Shopping for a shotgun

JBond

Winning
May 15, 2016
Kansas
I need a solid semi-auto shotgun that is multi-use. Hunting, skeet, trap etc. Home defense is also in the equation, but not as important.

Budget is under $1500

Thanks.

I need a solid semi-auto shotgun that is multi-use. Hunting, skeet, trap etc. Home defense is also in the equation, but not as important.

Budget is under $1500

Thanks.

Remington 11-87 is a good choice

To elaborate, soft shooter. The wife needs to feel confident with it also.

I am leaning towards a beretta a400 or something similar. They are pricy. The a300 might be the ticket.

Baikal under and over, Model 27.

iu

All you need. Never fails to go bang, never stops working.

To elaborate, soft shooter. The wife needs to feel confident with it also.

I am leaning towards a beretta a400 or something similar. They are pricy. The a300 might be the ticket.
Why semi auto?

A pump shotgun is perfectly fine

For the price of one semiauto you could get a 12 gauge for you and a 410 or 20 gauge for the wife

Budget is under $1500

Thanks.
Personal opinion
There is no fix-all for a universal one shotgun for all situations
Because you wouldn't want a long-barreled shotgun for a home defense situation but a long barrel shotgun would be the best for hunting, and ported for skeet shooting.

Budget is under $1500

Thanks.
Personal opinion
Because you wouldn't want a long-barreled shotgun for a home defense situation but a long barrel shotgun would be the best for hunting, and ported for skeet shooting.

an 18 in barrel isn't too long for home defense IMO though it might be for some people.

Of course if you like a handgun you can't go wrong with a Judge.

Semi autos are problematic. Too much goes wrong with them. Over under is so much better in most all circumstances.

Budget is under $1500

Thanks.
Personal opinion

an 18 in barrel isn't too long for home defense IMO though it might be for some people.

Of course if you like a handgun you can't go wrong with a Judge.
But the OP is wanting a shotgun for hunting and skeet shooting also.
Side note You would need a 26- 30-inch barrel for skeet and clay shooting with ported barrel. If not mistaken. I'm more into tactical home defense shotguns than others.

Budget is under $1500

Thanks.
Check out Frenchie Affinities. Prices begin at under $1,000 but can go way higher, depending on the model and gauge. They have been around for a long time and have a good record of reliability.

A Remington 870 would be my suggestion. No, it is not a semi auto. But the pump action makes it almost as fast and far more reliable.

You say your budget is $1,500?

A Remington 870 Express can be had for $300 or a little less. So you get a 12 ga and a 20 ga, and have spent only $600.

You can buy aftermarket barrels for $250 to $350 each. So you add a 30+ inch and an 18" tactical barrel, and you have spent another $600.

That leaves you another $300 for a tactical stock or a quality light. I recommend the light.

The biggest (or most significant) differences between the Remington 870 and the Mossberg 500 is the weight and the location of the safety.
The Remington puts the safety behind the trigger, while the Mossberg puts it on the rear of the receiver. The Remington tends to be a little heavier, but that is not necessarily a bad thing. If you are shooting 3" 12 ga shells, having extra mass to control the recoil is good.

But, in the end, both Mossberg and Remington make excellent pump shotguns that are reliable, versatile and with aftermarket parts that make them adaptable.

Semi autos are problematic. Too much goes wrong with them. Over under is so much better in most all circumstances.
Especially if one wants ultimate security reliability.

edit...I've never had an over/under not go bang on the second shot, even when fed the crappiest reject reloads. The same cannot be said of my experience with semis.

Last edited:
Especially if one wants ultimate security reliability.

edit...I've never had an over/under not go bang on the second shot, even when fed the crappiest reject reloads. The same cannot be said of my experience with semis.
If its a starter gun 870 Express for $400 new. Can't go wrong and it will last a long time. Plus they have minimal parts.

In my younger days (70s) I was a CPSA shooter, I’ve owned various shotguns. When I started out shooting we were using 1-7/8oz cartridges, it used to be fairly bruising on the shoulder. Nowadays because of the lead content shooters in the U.K. can only buy 7/8oz cartridges so I guess the shoulder bashing isn’t as bad as it once was.
The worst shoulder basher of course was the Winchester GB, high brass.
In my opinion a 2nd hand Winchester skeet in 12guage would do for anything within 40 yards.

I absolutely love this website:
Semi-Automatic Shotguns | Cheaper Than Dirt

I would see if there is a firing range that will let you rent and fire the type of shotgun and it's variations before buying. Most replies are about double barrels (big fan) and pumps, which do have their limitations, but still effective. Even with the kick.
I have an ar style 12 gauge... Nice and not as bulky as many would assume... It was before I found ctd website though.... Joke on me.

Not anymore. So long as you buy a quality piece they are every bit as reliable as a pump.

Not anymore. So long as you buy a quality piece they are every bit as reliable as a pump.

I've had mine for quite sometime... Years, and not one issue... Not even a jam, which is/was a concern for the one I have. Taken care, of cleaned, regularly they are damn fine weapons.

I absolutely love this website:
Semi-Automatic Shotguns | Cheaper Than Dirt

I would see if there is a firing range that will let you rent and fire the type of shotgun and it's variations before buying. Most replies are about double barrels (big fan) and pumps, which do have their limitations, but still effective. Even with the kick.
I have an ar style 12 gauge... Nice and not as bulky as many would assume... It was before I found ctd website though.... Joke on me.

When I was younger I was a CPSA skeet and sporting shooter. I particularly like this one, the price is cheap as chips. Nice style... it would tick all the boxes if it was a multi choke.

EAA GiRSAN MC312GOBBLER 12 Gauge Semi Auto Shotgun 24" Vent Rib Barrel 3-1/2" Chamber with Red-Dot Inertia Driven FO Front Sight Camo Polymer Stock Cerakote Finish | Cheaper Than Dirt

Forum List

Back