Shoplifting/Retail Theft/Shrinkage

DGS49

Diamond Member
Apr 12, 2012
Pittsburgh
I started my "professional" career in retailing. First as assistant manager in a clothing store (Robert Hall), then as manager, then I moved to a discount department store (Hills), then I got out of retailing. Time period 1973-76.

My first introduction to serious shoplifting was in Youngstown, Ohio, where it mainly came in the form of women "shoppers" carrying "purses" that were as large as a medium-sized suitcase. They would come in to the store with the purse empty and leave with the bag full to overflowing, but we were cautioned that if we didn't actually see the merchandise being stuffed in the bag, we couldn't accost them for theft. When we stopped them and called the police, the police would ask us what, exactly, we saw being stolen, and if the goods in the bag didn't match, they would let them go. Much of the theft took place on Friday evenings, and sometimes the same clothing came back on Sunday, for "refund." Our computer systems at the time were too primitive to "realize" that those garments hadn't actually been sold, so there was little we could do about it. Drove me crazy.

At Hill's Department Store, we had a guy whose job was to deal with shoplifting, and our guy was the Picasso of store security. He would scan the store with binoculars from hidden windows high up on the walls and nab the bastards - usually teens stealing little stuff. He would talk them into buying the stuff (call their parents in to pay for it sometimes), making them think that if they paid for it they would get off, THEN he would call the local police. It was beautifully diabolical.

Once I got out of retailing I rarely gave it another thought, although I do recall reading an article one time stating that a large portion of retail theft was actually done by employees - almost half - and that set me back. But I guess it was/is true.

It came to my mind recently because my wife and I have been looking for various things to purchase by checking on the internet to see where they have it in stock, and then when we drive to that store we find that often they don't have what the computer says they have. This past Saturday I was purchasing a small set of dumbbells for my wife at Target. The computer said they had 5 in stock but there were only two left, thankfully, so I bought them.

When leaving the store I ran into an acquaintance who had been working at that store as their HR person for a couple years and we got into a conversation about general things, and I mentioned the fact of the missing dumbbells. "Shoplifting," she said immediately. "It has reached epic proportions during the pandemic."

The retailers don't like to talk about it because if they publicize how badly they are getting ripped off, it will call attention to how easy it is to do, and it will likely make the problem worse.

Are we really that bad?

Thoughts? Observations?

LOL...I had forgotten about Robert Hall
My mom used to take me there for school clothes
That was a long time ago

Shoplifting is more difficult now. EVERYTHING is on video from the time you drive in to the parking lot and every nook and cranny of the store.

With everyone carrying a smart phone and cameras everywhere, it is hard to be anonymous any more

Last edited:
LOL...I had forgotten about Robert Hall
That was a long time ago

Shoplifting is more difficult now. EVERYTHING is on video from the time you drive in to the parking lot and every nook and cranny of the store.

With everyone carrying a smart phone and cameras everywhere, it is hard to be anonymous any more

The shoplifters have adjusted, they go in a group, grab what they can, and then leave before anyone can react.

Plus, some stores have told their employees to not do anything, and that's where you get the videos of people just nonchalantly stuffing a bag for 5 minutes before walking out.

It’s hard to get away with anything nowadays.

I remember a story about a gang of teens who went to a car dealership and did $30,000 worth of damage to new cars. But they were smart and knew there would be cameras. So they all wore Scream masks so nobody could see their faces.

There was a subway station a few blocks away and police got videos of the teens getting off the trains without masks. They wore the same clothes.

I remember a story about a gang of teens who went to a car dealership and did $30,000 worth of damage to new cars. But they were smart and knew there would be cameras. So they all wore Scream masks so nobody could see their faces.

There was a subway station a few blocks away and police got videos of the teens getting off the trains without masks. They wore the same clothes.

It's easy if the local DA's refuse to prosecute.

1608643112162.png

Oh please.....it's industrial scale and its everywhere. My daughter's 17 yr old fellow employee, white girl was showing off new earrings she had stolen from Target cause to quote her ,,,,,,they won't do anything

I started my "professional" career in retailing. First as assistant manager in a clothing store (Robert Hall), then as manager, then I moved to a discount department store (Hills), then I got out of retailing. Time period 1973-76.

My first introduction to serious shoplifting was in Youngstown, Ohio, where it mainly came in the form of women "shoppers" carrying "purses" that were as large as a medium-sized suitcase. They would come in to the store with the purse empty and leave with the bag full to overflowing, but we were cautioned that if we didn't actually see the merchandise being stuffed in the bag, we couldn't accost them for theft. When we stopped them and called the police, the police would ask us what, exactly, we saw being stolen, and if the goods in the bag didn't match, they would let them go. Much of the theft took place on Friday evenings, and sometimes the same clothing came back on Sunday, for "refund." Our computer systems at the time were too primitive to "realize" that those garments hadn't actually been sold, so there was little we could do about it. Drove me crazy.

At Hill's Department Store, we had a guy whose job was to deal with shoplifting, and our guy was the Picasso of store security. He would scan the store with binoculars from hidden windows high up on the walls and nab the bastards - usually teens stealing little stuff. He would talk them into buying the stuff (call their parents in to pay for it sometimes), making them think that if they paid for it they would get off, THEN he would call the local police. It was beautifully diabolical.

Once I got out of retailing I rarely gave it another thought, although I do recall reading an article one time stating that a large portion of retail theft was actually done by employees - almost half - and that set me back. But I guess it was/is true.

It came to my mind recently because my wife and I have been looking for various things to purchase by checking on the internet to see where they have it in stock, and then when we drive to that store we find that often they don't have what the computer says they have. This past Saturday I was purchasing a small set of dumbbells for my wife at Target. The computer said they had 5 in stock but there were only two left, thankfully, so I bought them.

When leaving the store I ran into an acquaintance who had been working at that store as their HR person for a couple years and we got into a conversation about general things, and I mentioned the fact of the missing dumbbells. "Shoplifting," she said immediately. "It has reached epic proportions during the pandemic."

The retailers don't like to talk about it because if they publicize how badly they are getting ripped off, it will call attention to how easy it is to do, and it will likely make the problem worse.

Are we really that bad?

Thoughts? Observations?
Ya, it is that bad. People can't pay bills right now and they are not going to let little Susy have no Christmas. Hungry and poor equals desperate. Crimes will go up when people have no money. That's over stuff wanna be scared wait till you see how thirsty people act. Wanna see the worst in people, wait till a lack of water.

Are we really that bad?

Thoughts? Observations?
Ya, it is that bad. People can't pay bills right now and they are not going to let little Susy have no Christmas. Hungry and poor equals desperate. Crimes will go up when people have no money. That's over stuff wanna be scared wait till you see how thirsty people act. Wanna see the worst in people, wait till a lack of water.

Sorry, but it isn't desperate people turning to a life a crime, it's established criminals seeing an opening and exploiting it.

Are we really that bad?

Thoughts? Observations?

Sorry, but it isn't desperate people turning to a life a crime, it's established criminals seeing an opening and exploiting it.
Ta, based on what? You go interview the people? There are people out there right now that can't pay the bills that normally would not be taking stuff. It will get worse. Mark my words. Of course I am poised to make some money. If you have money when shit hits the fan and going to hit the fan. Real estate is up right now. Sell it. It will go down soon and it will be buy time.

Are we really that bad?

Thoughts? Observations?

Ta, based on what? You go interview the people? There are people out there right now that can't pay the bills that normally would not be taking stuff. It will get worse. Mark my words. Of course I am poised to make some money. If you have money when shit hits the fan and going to hit the fan. Real estate is up right now. Sell it. It will go down soon and it will be buy time.

I have a relative who is a DA, most crime isn't one off, it's repeat offenders.

And most crime isn't criminal on non criminal, it's criminal on criminal. When my relative prosecuted things like robberies and assaults, the victims "jacket" was thinner than the perpetrators, but not by much.

Most crime isn't due to extreme circumstances, it's due to laziness and a decided lack of morality.

Are we really that bad?

Thoughts? Observations?

And most crime isn't criminal on non criminal, it's criminal on criminal. When my relative prosecuted things like robberies and assaults, the victims "jacket" was thinner than the perpetrators, but not by much.

Most crime isn't due to extreme circumstances, it's due to laziness and a decided lack of morality.
Under normal conditions that is true. Right now ain't normal. Life freeking sucks right now. Pandemic and ever one at each others throats. Right now is not normal and God help us if it is the new normal. Suicides are up, loneliness is up, bank accounts are down, bad stuff is just around the corner. Opiate scurge,. Ya we need to wake up soon while there is something to wake up to.

Are we really that bad?

Thoughts? Observations?

Under normal conditions that is true. Right now ain't normal. Life freeking sucks right now. Pandemic and ever one at each others throats. Right now is not normal and God help us if it is the new normal. Suicides are up, loneliness is up, bank accounts are down, bad stuff is just around the corner. Opiate scurge,. Ya we need to wake up soon while there is something to wake up to.

Are we actually seeing more first time criminals? or are everyday criminals just being emboldened?

Forum List

Back