Shoot to kill or just injure?

you have no choice but to let lots of risky people pass within 7 yds of you, on the sidewalk, in cars as you walk or drive, in public buildings, all over the place. "stuff" starts at less than 5 yds, almost always and it gets lots closer, really fast, if you don't do something about it. I once had a guy with an upraised crescent wrench charge me from less than 4 yds. I did not back up, yet I was able to draw an (openly worn, in my waistband) 1911, cycle the slide, assume a weaver stance and yell "freeze" (and he did). He was still not within arm's reach, but if he'd taken one more step, I've have emptied the mag into his chest and he could see that. He knew me. Those who claim that 7 yds is it, are correct, tho, for the average guy with a holstered gun.

You were able to draw the weapon, cycle the action, and assume a weaver stance before the guy could cover 12 feet???

Must have been a slow guy with the wrench. :biggrin:
17 feet minimum distance is what they taught us and that's not a guarantee you'll be able to react in time to not get stabbed at least once before getting off a round with a holstered sidearm.

My practice has been when I feel threatened for my life/safety, I don't wait for it to escalate. I casually put my hand on the trigger and keep it there until the threat passes without ever bringing it to the person's attention that I'm carrying. The surprise factor increases your safety factor greatly, IMO. I don't ever want to get into a struggle over the weapon and run the risk of maybe having it get away from me into the hands of the perp.

you have no choice but to let lots of risky people pass within 7 yds of you, on the sidewalk, in cars as you walk or drive, in public buildings, all over the place. "stuff" starts at less than 5 yds, almost always and it gets lots closer, really fast, if you don't do something about it. I once had a guy with an upraised crescent wrench charge me from less than 4 yds. I did not back up, yet I was able to draw an (openly worn, in my waistband) 1911, cycle the slide, assume a weaver stance and yell "freeze" (and he did). He was still not within arm's reach, but if he'd taken one more step, I've have emptied the mag into his chest and he could see that. He knew me. Those who claim that 7 yds is it, are correct, tho, for the average guy with a holstered gun.

You were able to draw the weapon, cycle the action, and assume a weaver stance before the guy could cover 12 feet???

17 feet minimum distance is what they taught us and that's not a guarantee you'll be able to react in time to not get stabbed at least once before getting off a round with a holstered sidearm.

My practice has been when I feel threatened for my life/safety, I don't wait for it to escalate. I casually put my hand on the trigger and keep it there until the threat passes without ever bringing it to the person's attention that I'm carrying. The surprise factor increases your safety factor greatly, IMO. I don't ever want to get into a struggle over the weapon and run the risk of maybe having it get away from me into the hands of the perp.
Just don't shoot yourself in the leg by accident, or an innocent person....... There's a reason law enforcement is trained not to touch the trigger until we're ready to actually fire.

This is the Federal Use of Force Chart:

UOF-CONT.jpg

Notice the arrows go both ways, the subject escalates, you escalate, the subject deescalates, you deescalate. It's a good thing to know and if followed will keep you out of legal trouble and jail for making a rash or stupid decision.

Just don't shoot yourself in the leg by accident, or an innocent person....... There's a reason law enforcement is trained not to touch the trigger until we're ready to actually fire.

UOF-CONT.jpg

Notice the arrows go both ways, the subject escalates, you escalate, the subject deescalates, you deescalate. It's a good thing to know and if followed will keep you out of legal trouble and jail for making a rash or stupid decision.

My post stated I put my finger on the trigger WHEN I feel threatened for my life. I don't go around at the ready without a good reason. Also, the weapon I CC doesn't have a hair trigger--not running the risk of an accidental firing.

UOF-CONT.jpg

My post stated I put my finger on the trigger WHEN I feel threatened for my life. I don't go around at the ready without a good reason. Also, the weapon I CC doesn't have a hair trigger--not running the risk of an accidental firing.
My finger doesn't go on the trigger until I'm actually going to pull the trigger, no mistakes.

And 17 feet is for a holstered weapon that is ready to fire. Prison/con claims he drew, cycled the action on a 1911, assumed a shooting stance and yelled "freeze" before the guy was within arms reach. Arm's reach is around 3 feet. So the guy only had to move 9 feet. I find the whole scenario hard to believe.

It's not hard to believe ..... it's fiction.

If I'm reading this right: You are putting your finger on the trigger while your weapon is still concealed?

Holy shit, that is a recipe for disaster. I would strongly suggest you re-think that.

And 17 feet is for a holstered weapon that is ready to fire. Prison/con claims he drew, cycled the action on a 1911, assumed a shooting stance and yelled "freeze" before the guy was within arms reach. Arm's reach is around 3 feet. So the guy only had to move 9 feet. I find the whole scenario hard to believe.

I just practiced this a month or so ago.

I can do the "Mossad Draw" - "Condition Three Draw" and in relatively short ( Very quick ) time. I just practiced this a month or so ago.

Draw from concealed ( handgun is under a shirt or jacket ), have the handgun turned sideways ( I am right handed - top of slide faces left ) , "rack the slide" with my left hand, turn the handgun 90 degrees to the right ( upright ), Place weak hand on top of strong hand, Shoot two rounds center mass of target at a distance of 40 feet.

I can do that maneuver in the blink of an eye, and have the two rounds center mass...about two to three inches apart.

Shadow 355

Last edited:

UOF-CONT.jpg

Never put your finger in the trigger guard until your ready to pull the trigger.
Especially before you draw!!!.

Forum List

Back