Sharon to discuss nukes as part of broader peaceplan

Originally posted by DKSuddeth
why shouldn't we do it? They are as much of a threat to us as they are Israel, just like the premise for Iraq, right?

I think we should. I think we will. And if the Iranians themselves don't do something to remedy the situation before we show up, they had better get out of the way. The mullahs have declared war. Once upon a time we didn't take things like that too seriously. Time's they are a-changin'.

here, I will disagree with you. Iraqi Liberation was one of the reasons that was given when there were objections to the idea of WMD's being passed off to terrorists and it was a continued reason up until hussein was overthrown. Only now is it used as a 'positive outcome' and trumpeted by the pundits as a reason for the regime change.

Well, I think we all know we didn't go to Iraq primarily to free Iraqis, though it was common understanding that that would be a result of deposing Hussein.

We went to Iraq because: 9/11 happened, old threats we're re-evaluated, Hussein was in violation of UN sanctions, he had WMD, and he consorted with terrorists.

The stories of the pundits may change, but they are pundits. What's important is that the administration hasn't backed off it's justifications, even though it may now be stressing other positive developments.

Originally posted by DKSuddeth

yes it is. here, I will disagree with you. Iraqi Liberation was one of the reasons that was given when there were objections to the idea of WMD's being passed off to terrorists and it was a continued reason up until hussein was overthrown. Only now is it used as a 'positive outcome' and trumpeted by the pundits as a reason for the regime change.

I believe that Iraqi liberation was not only a positive side effect of the war against Sadaam. The mass graves of men, women and children, the starving people and the monumental billions of dollars in wealth of the Iraqi despot and his family are a definite positive. Unfortunately there are many more countries in the very same condition. It is impossible for the US to destroy all human suffering and inequality in the world nation of despots but it sends each and every one of them a clear unmistakable message.

They no longer have an America that is willing to bomb an aspirin factory in the middle of a desert with a multimillion dollar missle and call it a day.

It seems to me that there is also something about this whole WMD thing that may really be more about domestic politics right here in the USA.

Did anyone notice this week when Senator Rockefeller and his democrat cohorts announced loudly and proudly that if they knew then what they know today about the misleading and overstated evidence of Sadaam's WMDs, that America would never have voted to go into this war against Iraq.

In other words, the Democrat party has put itself out on the proverbial limb and has just completed sawing off the limb on which they stand based on NO WMDs being found.

This sounds terrible. But what if George Bush and England had known since before the last Iraqi war started that the WMDs were real and they also knew that France (partner of Sadaam) had notified him of the US intention to go to war?

What if the US had satelites observing truck convoys of these WMDs being sent out of Iraq, into Syria and later into Lebanon's Beklk'a valley where part were buried in Syria and the bulk of them buried in Lebanon?

What if in the next several weeks to a month or two, the US administration suddenly found Sadaam's moved and hidden cash of WMDs and captured or recovered them for the world to see?

That is not a pretty thought but what would the Democrats do to elect their party back into office now that they have successfully proven that George Bush went to war without proper knowledge of the WMDs or like Mr. Kerry's concept of involving the UN in this giant step to war?

That limb they are on would quickly take them tumbling to the ground. This premise can only be seen in the light of events in the next few months before November, 04.

If this presumptive knowledge is indeed fact, then like the capture of Sadaam at a certain time gave GW Bush a giant bump in public opinion and approval. Polls are way too subjective on a time line continuum to have any real meaning or impact.

We'll just have to wait and see.

Forum List

Back