Sharon is in it deep

Dec 3, 2003
Fayetteville
JERUSALEM (AP)--A defiant Ariel Sharon brushed off calls to resign Thursday, vowing to complete his term despite a burgeoning bribery scandal. But even a top official from his own party said Sharon's days as prime minister may be numbered.

Speaking publicly for the first time since a real estate developer was indicted Wednesday on charges of bribing Sharon with $690,000, Sharon told a youth gathering from the ruling Likud Party that he intended to stay.

``I arrived here as prime minister and as chairman of the Likud, a position I plan to fill for many more years, until 2007 at least,'' Sharon told the cheering youths, referring to the date of the next scheduled election.

Sharon has battled back from political adversity before. In 1983, he was forced to resign as defense minister when a government inquiry found him indirectly responsible for the deaths of hundreds of Palestinians in Beirut refugee camps at the hands of Israel's allies in a Christian militia.

Justice Ministry officials said they would decide within weeks or months whether to indict Sharon for accepting bribes. Charges would only be filed if prosecutors are convinced he had criminal intent in taking the money.

If indicted, legal precedent says Sharon would have to suspend himself until the end of proceedings, a prospect those close to him are coming to terms with.

``If the prime minister is indicted, there is no doubt he will have to resign,'' Education Minister Limor Livnat told Israel Radio.

But there is mounting pressure on Sharon to step down now.

A Dahaf Institute poll published in the Yediot Ahronot daily on Thursday found 49 percent of Israelis think Sharon should resign or suspend himself now; 38 percent said he should remain premier. The poll of 504 people had a margin of error of 4.4 percent.

The focus of the scandal is the so-called ``Greek Island Affair,'' in which businessman David Appel allegedly paid Sharon's son Gilad money so Sharon, then foreign minister, would use his influence to help Appel promote a tourism project in Greece in 1999.

Despite a flurry of criticism, Sharon said he would not step down.

``I am not about to resign. I emphasize, I am not about to resign. I am busy with work from morning to night, and I do not intend to make time for issues that are under investigation,'' Sharon told Yediot. Sharon's aides confirmed the remarks.

Sharon said the burgeoning scandal would not deflect his attention from what he considers to be more pressing issues, including a hearing at the world court in The Hague, Netherlands, on the legality of a barrier Israel is building in the West Bank.

Sharon confidant Eyal Arad said the scandal would not affect the prime minister's ability to carry out his duties.

``Prime minister is not just any other job. He has to take life and death decisions on a daily basis,'' Arad told Channel Two TV. ``But he has been under fire before, not imaginary but real fire, and he knows how to function in difficult circumstances,'' Arad said, referring to Sharon's days as an army general.

God is punishing Sharon for destroying a synagoge last week. As soon as Sharon moves against his own people god will make sure he is no more.

God says the jews must never make a truce with Israels enemies.

How come Sharon is getting in to trouble just now when he starts hurting jews and trying to follow the US backed peace plan.

So God doesn't want Sharon to kill fellow jews, but the little boy who is murdered because he was throwing rocks at a tank is alright?

I seriously doubt that Jews have the highest IQs in the world considering that to keep out bombers they build a wall in the middle of the country, just like two 10 year old brothers who can't get along and share a room would do.

Originally posted by Palestinian Jew

So God doesn't want Sharon to kill fellow jews, but the little boy who is murdered because he was throwing rocks at a tank is alright?

I seriously doubt that Jews have the highest IQs in the world considering that to keep out bombers they build a wall in the middle of the country, just like two 10 year old brothers who can't get along and share a room would do.

The Philistina people took on the name Palestinians after the 1967 war against Israel by the Arab nations. Before that time the Arabs referred to themselves as Jordanian, as that Arab country ruled Yesha territory before it was reclaimed by its original owners, the Jewish people.

See how the Palestinians protect their children when they try to kill their hosts. The Jewish people who gave them jobs, freedom to worship and live and a democracy where the Arab themselves could become part of the Jewish government.

He is a murderer!!!! Why was it OK for him to use terrorist tactics against the arabs but not OK for them to use the same tactics against israel?

http://www.nationmaster.com/encyclopedia/Qibya-massacre

Encyclopedia: Qibya massacre
The Qibya massacre was a military action in October 1953 carried out by Israeli troops in a West Bank village.

The military action as Qibya was carried out by two Israeli units, a paratroop company and Unit 101 under the command of Ariel Sharon (who became Prime Minister of Israel in 2001). It led to the death of over 50 Palestinian Arabs and the demolition of most houses in Qibya, a village in the western West Bank, which was then under Jordanian control.

Events leading up to the attack
The attack was the climax of a number of border clashes; such clases began almost immediately after the signing of the armistice in 1949. The State of Israel was confronted by a wave of Palestinian infiltrators from Jordan. The Jordanian Arab Legion made attempts to stop the infiltrations.

On October 12, 1953, a Jewish mother and her two children were killed by Jordanian infiltrators in the Israeli town of Yahud. The Israeli government decided to carry out a retaliatory strike against the village of Qibya in the West Bank. The order was given by Defense Minister Pinhas Lavon, who did not consult the cabinet and apparently misinformed Acting Prime Minister Moshe Sharett of the order. On October 13, at the meeting with the MAC (Mixed Armistice Commission), the Jordanian representative denounced the attack and promised Israel full cooperation in tracking down the murderers and asked Israel to refrain from retaliation. (The Iron Wall, Avi Shlaim, p.90-93). Sharett said later that "the Commander of the Jordan Legion, Glubb Pasha, had asked for police blood-hounds to cross over from Israel to track down the Yahud murderers" (Jerusalem Post, October 31, 1965).

The Attack
The attack on Qibya took place in the evening of October 14, 1953. It began with an artillery barrage at the village until Israeli troops reached the outskirts of the village. Mines were laid out on roads to prevent Jordanian troops from joining the fight. When the village had been cleared of resistance, Israeli soldiers ordered the civilains to leave their homes and stated that they would be demolished; they then laid explosives around many of the houses and blew them up. The claim that villagers were given an opportunity to flee is contradicted by the fact that the Israeli units had an order to achieve maximum civilian casualties. At dawn the operation was considered completed and the Israeli troops returned home.

Forty five villagers' houses had been destroyed, as well as the mosque, the school and the water reservoir. Over 50 people were killed, two thirds of them women and children. The rest of the village population, around 2,700 in number, were able to flee. The Israeli government initially claimed that the killing was carried out by Jewish civilians living near the border, but later admitted that it was done by military forces

I find it impossible to shed tears for a people who used the same tactics that they are now subject to themselves!!!!

Priminster Sharon was a valiant soldier and did nothing more than go after the murderers of Israeli women and children.

Read your own post, if you have the ability to do so....

On October 12, 1953, a Jewish mother and her two children were killed by Jordanian infiltrators in the Israeli town of Yahud. The Israeli government decided to carry out a retaliatory strike against the village of Qibya in the West Bank. The order was given by Defense Minister Pinhas Lavon, who did not consult the cabinet and apparently misinformed Acting Prime Minister Moshe Sharett of the order. On October 13, at the meeting with the MAC (Mixed Armistice Commission), the Jordanian representative denounced the attack and promised Israel full cooperation in tracking down the murderers and asked Israel to refrain from retaliation. (The Iron Wall, Avi Shlaim, p.90-93). Sharett said later that "the Commander of the Jordan Legion, Glubb Pasha, had asked for police blood-hounds to cross over from Israel to track down the Yahud murderers" (Jerusalem Post, October 31, 1965).

This was not a retaliatory attack as stated in this arab based rag but a police action to destroy those who came into Israel to murder innocents.

Israel like the United States or any free country has the right to go after those who murder their own citizens whether they be domestic mass murderers or foreign murderers.

Israel and Sharon did not decide to go after these murderers as a whim or to start a conflict.

The USS Liberty spy ship was in a place where they didn't belong in war time. The US government and sailors of that ship should have notified Israel of their intentions before they showed up and there would have been no incident.

Originally posted by AtlantaWalter

You really have a difficult time letting go of the USS Liberty thing don't you? Must be the guilt!!!!

I didn't bring up the original post on the USS Liberty. You are the one who uses military losses to allies by friendly fire as an excuse to put forth your hate and envy.

Maybe you don't understand the difference between prevention of attacks on your people and starting a war (jihad) against those whose continued existence proves your man made god a fraud.

Kill the messenger and blame them for their own destruction.

Nice try.....

Originally posted by AtlantaWalter

Maybe I should be a bit more succinct in my feelings so that you not misunderstand me:

No one misunderstood your hateful feelings. It is well documented that Arab suicide bombers dress like Orthdox Jewish men so that they can get close to the small children and blow them up.

I found a picture of your girlfriend for all to see:

Sharon is not supporting a law abiding and unifying populous, Sharon is doing what he is doing for self-interests only. In this respect Sharon is a Trump clone.

The USA should distance themselves from this zion culture.

Stop giving Israel arms now!!!
:)-
:)-

Forum List

Back