Shame on the New York Times! Instead of asking “Where are the fathers of these children?” the New York Times blames childhood poverty on lack of gover

Drop Dead Fred

Platinum Member
Jun 6, 2020
This is my own writing:

Shame on the New York Times! Instead of asking “Where are the fathers of these children?” the New York Times blames childhood poverty on lack of government funding. Also, shame on the New York Times for saying “they had little choice.”​

Here is a recent article from the New York Times about a bunch of unmarried women and their out-of-wedlock babies.

The word “father” does not appear in the article.

Instead, the New York Times uses the following words and phrases to explain why these women and children are living in poverty:

“have few options”

“waiting for subsidized housing”

“18 people had been inside the four-bedroom public housing unit, triple the number of people who had moved in a decade earlier”

“mothers, sons and daughters”

“they had little choice”

“a growing family forced to crowd ever more tightly into the apartment it already had”

“According to a 2016 assessment of housing needs in the city, Philadelphia is supplying less than 12 percent of the publicly supported housing needed for its low-income households”

“Without enough funding to support a program like that”

“Shakia Miller, who lives in a three-bedroom unit at the West Park Apartments, which are owned and managed by the housing authority, applied for a bigger place when she was pregnant with twin boys. They are now 9 years old, yet the family, which includes Ms. Miller’s three older children, is still living in the same apartment.”

“There were six people on the lease at that time, a number that expanded, by the time of the latest lease, to 14. There were three sisters, Rosalee, Virginia and Quinsha, and a growing number of children”

“There should have been a lot more resources for the family”

“For the families that are in such a situation, there may not be much of a choice at all.”

So that’s what’s in the article.

According to the New York Times, these women had no control over anything, and the reason that these women and their children are living in poverty is because the government is not spending enough money.

The New York Times never asks where the children’s fathers are.

The New York Times never asks why these women had so many out-of-wedlock babies that they could not afford to take care of.

Shame on the New York Times for not asking, “Where are the fathers of these children?”

Shame on the New York Times for blaming their poverty on lack of government funding!

Shame on the New York Times for falsely claiming these these women had no choice and no control over their situation!

I’d like to propose a new policy. Instead of the government spending more money on unmarried women and their out-of-wedlock babies, the government should stop funding them entirely.

Unmarried women who have babies out of wedlock should not be rewarded with public housing and section 8 vouchers.

Whatever you reward, you get more of.

We should stop rewarding unmarried women who have babies out of wedlock.

An unmarried women who has a baby out of wedlock should never be eligible for public housing or section 8 vouchers.

Before the Democrats started their “Great Society” and their “war on poverty” in the 1960s, only 5% of babies in the U.S. were born out of wedlock.

Today, it’s 40%.

This chart shows the increase. The chart is from this link at Wikipedia: File:Nonmarital Birth Rates in the United States, 1940-2014.png - Wikipedia

Nonmarital_Birth_Rates_in_the_United_States,_1940-2014

And now I’d like to talk about the origination of the fire that killed those mothers and their children.

First, someone removed the batteries from the home’s smoke detectors.

And second, a very careless and negligent cigarette smoker left their lighter in a place where a five-year-old boy was able to get it and then use it to set the family’s Christmas tree on fire. I don’t blame the five-year-old boy. I do blame the adult smoker.

This incident happened in Philadelphia. And while I don’t know the statistics for Philadelphia, I do know that in New York state, low-income smokers spend 25% of their income on cigarettes.

Choices matter.

Choices result in actions.

Actions result in consequences.

Having babies out of wedlock that you can’t afford is a choice, no matter how many times the New York Times writes that “they had little choice.”

Taking the batteries out of smoke detectors is also a choice that can lead to disastrous results.

Leaving a lighter where a five-year-old can get it is irresponsible and negligent.

Smoking is stupid.

Spending 25% of your income on cigarettes when your own children don’t even have adequate housing is inexcusable.

Childhood poverty would be greatly reduced if people behaved responsibly. Let’s consider two groups of people in the U.S. The first group has a poverty rate of 2%. The second group has a poverty rate of 76%.

The first group consists of people who followed all three of these steps:

1) Finish high school.

2) Get a full-time job.

3) Wait until age 21 and get married before having children.

The second group consists of people who followed zero of those three steps.

Among people who follow all three of these steps, the poverty rate is 2%.

Among people who follow zero of these steps, the poverty rate is 76%.

My source for that information is this article, which refers to this PDF, and the relevant data is on page 15 of the PDF. The study uses data from the U.S. Census Bureau.

Finally, I’m going to end this blog post by posting a video of the song “Love Child” by the Supremes from the 1960s. By today’s standards, this song would be considered extremely conservative, as well as racist and sexist. It’s a great song, with a lesson that needs to be taught more often:

If the father is not there then likely he does not want to be. What can you do?

Here ya go, Here is what you can do. Take THIS attitude:
You want children? I want a family. You'll be baby daddy when daddy has a steady job, marries baby momma and has a nice warm bedroom to place baby in.
Raise your standards girls. Accept nothing less for your children...

Stop rewarding irresponsible behavior. Stop giving public housing and section 8 vouchers to women who have babies out of wedlock.

Naturally, the NYT is going to suggest more government is the solution to problems the government caused to begin with.

Three of the four writers are white. They suffer from the common liberal failing, the soft bigotry of low expectations.

Those are great points!

f the father is not there then likely he does not want to be. What can you do?
You don’t engage in procreative activities with men who don’t have a job, aren’t able/willing to support you, and who have no intent on maintaining a relationship. Until there’s a commitment, no nookie.

Forum List

Back