SF proposes voting rights for non-citizens

chanel

Silver Member
Jun 8, 2009
People's Republic of NJ
Non-citizen immigrants whose children are enrolled in San Francisco public schools would be able to vote in school board elections, under a proposed charter amendment for the fall ballot that Board of Supervisors President David Chiu will introduce Tuesday.

Chiu ran the 2004 campaign in favor of the limited extension of voting rights and said the idea deserves a second airing. He said an estimated 1 in 3 households with children in public schools are headed by parents who aren't citizens.

Allowing them to vote in Board of Education races would help boost their involvement in their children's education, Chiu said. ''And that helps improve the quality of the schools,'' Chiu said.

Read more: City Insider : New try to let non-citizens vote

:confused:

Wow... Just wow! I know San Francisco has always been a liberal/illegal immigrant "utopia" but this is getting waaaay out of hand! Where will it end? Will there be a point when Califonia will be absorbed by Mexico?

I honestly don't know if any position could ever pay me enough to actually relocate there. When job hunting in the past, I didn't even consider positions in NoCal. I much prefer this coast and the fresh water coast.

Well then why even hold elections here? If those assholes get their way we could have Argentina elect our officials for us... its just retarded nonsense to stir the pot... A lot of immigrants their and a lot Illegal ones or with family who are illegal. They get the impression the libs want to allow their illegal cousins to vote and bamo! new immigrant votes and new voters...PR media don't ya just love it? Why you can almost smell the bullshit from here...

If they approve it the Federal Government should arrest all the Board members for aiding and abetting Illegal Immigrants, fine them like you would a business.

I honestly don't know if any position could ever pay me enough to actually relocate there. When job hunting in the past, I didn't even consider positions in NoCal. I much prefer this coast and the fresh water coast.

I vacationed a few times up in Northern Cali, as a matter of fact the pic of me for my Avatar was taken near Fort Bragg, beautiful area!!! That said, it would seem that California is not being run with the people's(U.S. citizens) best interest at heart. Their elected officials know that they have a huge untapped voting block with the illegal Hispanics so they are catering to their every need... Pelosi is a perfect example of that!
Wake up Californians, take back your State!! Your officials are not for you, they are for themselves!

From the New York State Constitution, not that it matters when progressives are in charge, but State authority should trump Local Authority on matters of Voter qualification.

ARTICLE II

Suffrage

[Qualifications of voters]

Section 1. Every citizen shall be entitled to vote at every election for all officers elected by the people and upon all questions submitted to the vote of the people provided that such citizen is eighteen years of age or over and shall have been a resident of this state, and of the county, city, or village for thirty days next preceding an election. (Amended by Constitutional Convention of 1938 and approved by vote of the people November 8, 1938; further amended by vote of the people November 2, 1943; November 6, 1945; November 6, 1961; November 8, 1966; November 7, 1995.)

New York State Constitution

California State Constitution

CALIFORNIA CONSTITUTION
ARTICLE 2 VOTING, INITIATIVE AND REFERENDUM, AND RECALL

SEC. 2. A United States citizen 18 years of age and resident in
this State may vote.

CALIFORNIA CONSTITUTION
ARTICLE 2 VOTING, INITIATIVE AND REFERENDUM, AND RECALL

SEC. 2.5. A voter who casts a vote in an election in accordance
with the laws of this State shall have that vote counted.

http://www.leginfo.ca.gov/.const/.article_2

Non-citizen immigrants whose children are enrolled in San Francisco public schools would be able to vote in school board elections, under a proposed charter amendment for the fall ballot that Board of Supervisors President David Chiu will introduce Tuesday.

Chiu ran the 2004 campaign in favor of the limited extension of voting rights and said the idea deserves a second airing. He said an estimated 1 in 3 households with children in public schools are headed by parents who aren't citizens.

Allowing them to vote in Board of Education races would help boost their involvement in their children's education, Chiu said. ''And that helps improve the quality of the schools,'' Chiu said.

You live over 1000 miles away, why do you care? Ever heard of local governance?

Truth and Justice are not measured by miles, but relevance.

Have anything relevant of your own to add???

Not that it should matter to you but I did live 10 years in Santa Cruz.

Truth and Justice are not measured by miles, but relevance.

Have anything relevant of your own to add???

Not that it should matter to you but I did live 10 years in Santa Cruz.

Not just that, we are the United States. As we all should be concerned about the oil creeping its way towards the Gulf of Mexico States, we should also be concerned about the invasion thats taking place in our border States and the inaction of their elected officials.

All this is is another wedge issue that the Democrats are using to divide the electorate or prospective electorate....that's the only way they can win...divide and conquer.

For S&M and others who relish their ignorance, San Francisco (and the entire Bay Area) has it's share of LW Fringers but to characterize an entire region (the fifth largest in the U.S.) as being all far left is typical for political hacks.
Much like the other top five metro areas the Bay Area is diverse and vibrant; it is unique owing to world renown universities and providing exceptional cultural, athletic and culinary opportunities. Of course all parts of our country have attributes worthy of praise, and having traveled extensively I appreciate the diversity and beauty of other areas.
I don't characterize everyone in Georgia and S. Carolina as racist morons, Charleston and Savannah are wonderful travel destinations (as long as one goes in the fall or spring). Having visited every region of our country it is worth noting that no one area has everything my home town offers.
To our north, the counties of Marin (Sausalito), Napa and Sonoma and Mendocino; to the South Santa Cruz (the real Surf City) and between there and The City, Mavericks - some of the largest waves to be ridden in the world; and to the East Lake Tahoe, Yosemite and some of the best downhill skiing in the world.
Only a fool, a liar or the willfully ignorant would characterize an entire region because a small but loud minority makes headlines. Of course fools, liars and the willfully ignoratnt are well represented on this MB (but not everyone, there is diversity here - once one gets past the RW echo chamber).

New Topics

Forum List

Back