Sexual Orientation: What are it's causes?

Cenotaph

2+2=4
May 7, 2012
This is somewhat inspired by Maxcha's thread, which... instead of arguing the morality (silly word) of homosexuality, we're arguing in what causes it.

Is it genetic, hormonal, or psychological... or possibly a combination of two or three?

From the evidence I have seen, it seems to be pointing towards hormones. There have been specific twin studies over the past few years that examine sets of twins with differing sexual orientations. Each set of twins are genetically identical and have experienced (relatively) uniform environmental settings. If this is true, the "nurture" aspect of psychological development is omitted with just "nature" left... Since it's not genetic (in this instance), then maybe it's hormonal?

Here's what I can say with a definite answer:
  1. Sexual orientation is not a choice.
  2. It's is not unnatural... seeing that it's a phenomina that occurs in many other species (not just humans).
By the way, if you're going to make a post in what your opinion is, then please leave links pointing towards evidence that supports your claim.

[youtube]IoZoRbP-0WM[/youtube] [youtube]WTLAof9oXCI[/youtube] [youtube]RGnZgC47SLA[/youtube]

2. It's is not unnatural... seeing that it's a phenomina that occurs in many other species (not just humans).

How do you know it's not a choice? Other than you being too stupid to understand that something can be a choice without being as trivial and conscious as Coke vs. Pepsi?

What do you mean it occurs in many species? Do you know of individuals of any non-human species that likes to cross-dress? Do you know that animals are stupid? Can you point to any documented example in the animal kingdom of healthy, wild animals totally avoiding heterosexual acts in favor of homosexual acts?

Identical twins go a long way in refuting the born-that-way hypothesis. The failure to find genetic other congenital cause of homosexuality, after herculean effort, also goes a long way in refuting the born-that-way hypothesis.

Do you think pedophiles are born-that-way?

You're full of shit.

Identical twins go a long way in refuting the born-that-way hypothesis. The failure to find genetic other congenital cause of homosexuality, after herculean effort, also goes a long way in refuting the born-that-way hypothesis.

Do you know of individuals of any non-human species that likes to cross-dress?

Classic clueless CON. :lol:

How do you know it's not a choice? Other than you being too stupid to understand that something can be a choice without being as trivial and conscious as Coke vs. Pepsi?

What do you mean it occurs in many species? Do you know of individuals of any non-human species that likes to cross-dress? Do you know that animals are stupid? Can you point to any documented example in the animal kingdom of healthy, wild animals totally avoiding heterosexual acts in favor of homosexual acts?

You're full of shit.

How do I know it's not a choice? I am gay myself.

How do I know homosexuality occurs within other species of the animal kingdom? It occurs in penguins, dogs, bison, owls, beetles, whales, and numerous other organisms (too many to list). I would post a few links supporting this, but I do not have 15 or more posts, so... I am unable to. However, any quick research will show that I am correct.

If you want evidence of healthy, wild animals rejecting heterosexuality in favor of homosexuality, then look up the story on the penguins, Roy and Silo. Oh, and organisms of different species do not crossdress because animals do not usually wear clothes.

Also, please refrain from antagonizing people in this thread. It exists to get away from the bullshit, not to continue it. (It also doesn't help your argument).

Being a homo is a choice; a pathetic choice, but a choice none the less. :doubt:

Do you have any scientific evidence to support this claim?
Sure.

Homos who get their fudge packed have chosen to get it packed.

It's really that simple. :cool:

So that's a "no."

Last edited:
<snipped>

Also, please refrain from antagonizing people in this thread. It exists to get away from the bullshit, not to continue it. (It also doesn't help your argument).

<snipped>

You're talking to Ariux.

Ah, I see you're new. Well, suffice it to say, you've just given Ariux a hardon by responding to his bait. Now he'll troll you some more.

Last edited:
On another note... I should have made the "it's" in the titled "its." That's going to bug the hell out of me. :lol:

It doesn't take a scientific study to figure out.

That it's a "choice" for two guys to pack each others fudge.

It's does not happen by accident.

We're not discussing whether or not acting on homosexual urges is a choice, but whether or not homosexuality as a sexual orientation is (which it's not).

Heres the thing:

No one is 100% straight opr gay ( no matter what they say ) The data concerning prenatal hormones is interesting in that it shows us that we can be predisposed from birth to a certain orientation.

Lets say three people are born this way

Person A is predisposed 70% homosexual 30% straight
Person B is predisposed 50/50
Person C is predisposed 30% homosexual 70% straight.

Predisposition does not decide on the persons eventual sexual orientation. That comes from two other factors: Enviornment and finally choice.

Now some people will object to the choice factor but let me explain. One has to accept what they are in order to live their lives. In that sense, choice is a factor.

I think the reason theres such a strong debate on the subject is that there isnt a single cause but a combination of factors that lead to sexual orientation, both straight and homosexual.

We're not discussing whether or not acting on homosexual urges is a choice, but whether or not homosexuality as a sexual orientation is (which it's not).
Actually, it's a self inflected mental illness. :doubt:

absolutely untrue, man.

Go find out why men have nipples. Then rethink your stance.

Look I get that your religion says its a sin. So in order for it to be a sin, it HAS to be a choice, because something thats not in your control cannot be a sin, but you cant let your religion blind you to the science.

When you do, youre taking the same stance as those who misrepresent Islam as a religion of hate and violence.

Heres the thing:

No one is 100% straight opr gay ( no matter what they say ) The data concerning prenatal hormones is interesting in that it shows us that we can be predisposed from birth to a certain orientation.

Lets say three people are born this way

Person A is predisposed 70% homosexual 30% straight
Person B is predisposed 50/50
Person C is predisposed 30% homosexual 70% straight.

Predisposition does not decide on the persons eventual sexual orientation. That comes from two other factors: Enviornment and finally choice.

Now some people will object to the choice factor but let me explain. One has to accept what they are in order to live their lives. In that sense, choice is a factor.

I think the reason theres such a strong debate on the subject is that there isnt a single cause but a combination of factors that lead to sexual orientation, both straight and homosexual.

I have actually heard of this theory before, and another one similar to it in that sexuality "fluxuates" as a life progresses.

I can safely say that there have only been a couple of instances in my life to where I was (a little) aroused at the female form. So, speaking on a personal level, I can see how this theory could be believable/valid, but... what do you have to say about those who claim to have never been attracted to women before? That they're lying or...

EDIT: Forgot this: Again, I am sorry to repeat myself, but it is not about whether we accept what we are and make a choice (as you put it), but what we are dealt with in terms of the orientation itself. I did not choose to be attracted to guys. I just am. I choose to date guys because my attraction to women is so minute and rare that it's almost nonexistent.

Last edited:
Has zero to do with my religion.

What homos do is just plain nasty and perverted.

I wish it wasn't a choice and was genetic.

Because most homos don't breed.

So their abnormal gay gene would go extinct rather quickly.

Forum List

Back