Sewing machines

Yep, for those large pieces, it’s tough. We don’t have a traditional rectangular dining table, and for some things so wished I did, just for sewing! :/
Nice job!
I have a drafting table in my sewing room, as well. When I do sew, it is invaluable.
Unfortunately now that we're in a smaller house the only place I can set up my huge old dinner table is in the garage. It's bigger than the drafting table and is great for layout and cutting pieces. Think of a frock "skirt" as a midi that starts at the natural waist, some were even longer.
I had a living history to go to and had little time and nothing but civil war military clothing so I improvised, tossed together an unlined pseudo-town coat out of cotton canvas and threw it together with my first (not so well done vest), some kersey blue trousers, southwest planter's hat and a pair of preacher boots. I look like some poor old sod buster coming into town on a Saturday night....... :lol:

sBD7vpgPIU1xaeXyL5GBICICeIQg-C7RytcxeV-3iZ9jhZSAEXtVHhFXNltoBgCsOrul0NNu71TWM0A6TF4eFfCL4-oaSRvmFU1nZ-8yC75QZpeOkhfXwPelpEc5JHtrO5hOYxc2cKBeSkaP3KgDFtVGGXrr11sK1hjDTYYg1FtFBXpyX7DFaXgbVaodQ9ejYH7U_cdm_Qe3cnX0kBU0qo57ZoidgNdR1w1tTWpuIVZjFdmM52mCuFYe51HIL1udl7J6EDjGfLEp4d-VoyoTXnBKsEdjM-OPdm6lC-FRWNMWOgrYRV8Omt-zX8fYtuZHLDNAX37c_TvzcpmrNbHhOBCokg357Ro66HwBk06hF9e6I-isWEkolUOE6YJ0J9qK4q2Uz4pdHGSR1XpJVaoGP6AXs6YrJhKxks6AVf8b_SKxpUjhLR5LXgTIhoT42Sb5HvS_vqQDHAcEgqK_Cm6WxNtJSqa-F_VW5se3eKJ34q1JNrSbZpbLiy90AGa_vbTZ0OgX__8nAMKup0rPHdpoyeNYWXzRI7Vefcz7On3fPWX3lU4rT6Z0oTWYm_HN2Gvtwqeq0T0yREqaiYunkNgBy6pf4OE0itsQapzQIaF0BUCI2Wpxbu-u81E1C1XSNj4=w517-h918-no

AF1QipNwZYzDCRgq--8dPWwEzNrLPDbPTWSI34gjmftQ
You look like Colonel Sanders!
Do you want traditional or extra crispy?
Crispy

Looking for a good, inexpensive (under $100) medium to heavy duty sewing machine that's easy to use and will sew fabrics like wool and canvas.

I was wondering if this would work.

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00VV4ZWBQ/?tag=ff0d01-20

I would be sewing my own period (1700s and 1800s) clothing.
We got this.

71UT%2BEpN-WL._SL1500_.jpg

Be sure to order a quarter inch presser foot.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000JQM1DE/?tag=ff0d01-20
If they make their sewing machines a "well" as they make their printers you couldn't pay me to take a Brother.........
Ours has been good.
In my experience,you've been lucky. I will never own another Brother product, ever.
Look at me in the outfit I made last month!

crazy-fashion1.jpg

Looking for a good, inexpensive (under $100) medium to heavy duty sewing machine that's easy to use and will sew fabrics like wool and canvas.

I was wondering if this would work.

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00VV4ZWBQ/?tag=ff0d01-20

I would be sewing my own period (1700s and 1800s) clothing.
We got this.

If they make their sewing machines a "well" as they make their printers you couldn't pay me to take a Brother.........
Ours has been good.
In my experience,you've been lucky. I will never own another Brother product, ever.

View attachment 213321
Modern San Francisco pattern?

We got this.

Ours has been good.

View attachment 213321
Modern San Francisco pattern?
West Texas.

Looks too lightweight to sew canvas
New Singers are not the workhorses of old

It's sad. Appliances used to be made last and they could actually be repaired if necessary. I have a KitchenAid mixmaster that mr. boe bought for me 25 years ago. It still works great. My sister bought a new one three years ago, and it's already broken. She can't get it repaired - it's made to be disposable. Same thing with sewing machines, imo.

Ain't that the truth.
The Wife and I bought a Monkey Wards refrigerator 29 years ago and is now the garage fridge.....has never been serviced and still works like a charm. If I remember correctly we paid around $250 bucks for it.
Fast forward to 2017.....had to replace our built in GE Profile to the tune of $7000 bucks...broke in less than a year.

Indeed. We have a big freeze in our basement that we bought 22 years ago; and when we first moved into our house, we kept the ancient fridge it came with. I think we've had the freezer repaired once. The fridge must have been 35 years old when we finally had to replace it due to a replacement part no longer being made. I hate the new fridges. All of the energy efficiency nonsense makes the walls to thick and has reduced the interior space. I can't imagine what repairs will cost.

There are retro patterns being reproduced now.
Retro Butterick | Butterick Patterns. There are others as well.
JoAnn’s Fabric has classes for the beginner.

I had a sewing machine like this for years...

Lot346a.JPG

Then I got a fancy Brother sewing machine and hate it. I miss my old sewing machine!

I want to find old sewing patterns and create something from them. But I have to learn how to sew.

Thanks. They have some cool ones at a thrift shop I go to.

I switched my hobby interest to prospecting and have been having fun with my metal detector. I may take up learning to sew i the winter.

Yep, for those large pieces, it’s tough. We don’t have a traditional rectangular dining table, and for some things so wished I did, just for sewing! :/
Nice job!
I have a drafting table in my sewing room, as well. When I do sew, it is invaluable.
The 4411 I have heard great things about. You can get it new for $139 on Amazon.
It's supposed to be the best (cheap) heavy duty non-commercial machine on the market. When I bought the Start my disposable income was very limited, that has changed but with the Start doing everything I need it to do for now there's no need to upgrade at this point.
Still getting my home "office"/work room put together after the move, put the sewing table (and old Ikea drafting table) up and unpacked the machine. Have to put my frock coat back together, finish a vest I've been working on and make my 1850s pants and/or maybe some fall front trousers.
Here's the last mid 1800s wool vest I made.

9h5bpRjlpXmUwdWziWP42T-OgOJrfY-sm77m4HNcvyOG7grBPX1J_s2mRa6teINlmbyqPwxu2y6wmyJ_vm0G6IWWMzLjkoLmkiYBNiPYWr3TV8g9jnXsPLLRpomiUV6L6wKZNUkOocX2PUHeLEScE0v_xFeNhJH08O-aGGI-UymyAwbyoStgONwu5t2IT2hmAVG6xikxyatDMTpOnek--3V3bQBjyC65dnrPuVHhyPA2kTMeZRIt9RatQx67z1kq8xX0RiHm7U2d5u9d8mKXo5-Z8umikeP9BL19MpUbmzmpFb1TXUQPD2j_DlFvWilZ_Tqhb0s7rezU-TlZAGQsUohVkOaC8Px_yAsmW4DUPNvEhrrW22l-txd_G-4RTdE_5UQHFMF7RpP0h0XQZsr280xProwIRHNweUVKAM9CmMbBVuhIt4_BIX4M814zQBlay0enPBbzxzzdXbGFzGhzM4EBzD11ILq7E_ItHslH7XbUGSloeEymNiksnrcfieIrmcGuUZw76birlfutLdIYTMQ_ucR5EQFXN-jqWEiX23_kHxgWp1wd-mgOZrz4bBBL-ZWrz_94r7DTqeqmz74bWhNAgtkoInmyu6FONE56EBl8FziGlIGTORQfn7l_rX0=w611-h918-no
Unfortunately now that we're in a smaller house the only place I can set up my huge old dinner table is in the garage. It's bigger than the drafting table and is great for layout and cutting pieces. Think of a frock "skirt" as a midi that starts at the natural waist, some were even longer.
I had a living history to go to and had little time and nothing but civil war military clothing so I improvised, tossed together an unlined pseudo-town coat out of cotton canvas and threw it together with my first (not so well done vest), some kersey blue trousers, southwest planter's hat and a pair of preacher boots. I look like some poor old sod buster coming into town on a Saturday night....... :lol:

sBD7vpgPIU1xaeXyL5GBICICeIQg-C7RytcxeV-3iZ9jhZSAEXtVHhFXNltoBgCsOrul0NNu71TWM0A6TF4eFfCL4-oaSRvmFU1nZ-8yC75QZpeOkhfXwPelpEc5JHtrO5hOYxc2cKBeSkaP3KgDFtVGGXrr11sK1hjDTYYg1FtFBXpyX7DFaXgbVaodQ9ejYH7U_cdm_Qe3cnX0kBU0qo57ZoidgNdR1w1tTWpuIVZjFdmM52mCuFYe51HIL1udl7J6EDjGfLEp4d-VoyoTXnBKsEdjM-OPdm6lC-FRWNMWOgrYRV8Omt-zX8fYtuZHLDNAX37c_TvzcpmrNbHhOBCokg357Ro66HwBk06hF9e6I-isWEkolUOE6YJ0J9qK4q2Uz4pdHGSR1XpJVaoGP6AXs6YrJhKxks6AVf8b_SKxpUjhLR5LXgTIhoT42Sb5HvS_vqQDHAcEgqK_Cm6WxNtJSqa-F_VW5se3eKJ34q1JNrSbZpbLiy90AGa_vbTZ0OgX__8nAMKup0rPHdpoyeNYWXzRI7Vefcz7On3fPWX3lU4rT6Z0oTWYm_HN2Gvtwqeq0T0yREqaiYunkNgBy6pf4OE0itsQapzQIaF0BUCI2Wpxbu-u81E1C1XSNj4=w517-h918-no

AF1QipNwZYzDCRgq--8dPWwEzNrLPDbPTWSI34gjmftQ

Very Cool!

Looks too lightweight to sew canvas
New Singers are not the workhorses of old

It's sad. Appliances used to be made last and they could actually be repaired if necessary. I have a KitchenAid mixmaster that mr. boe bought for me 25 years ago. It still works great. My sister bought a new one three years ago, and it's already broken. She can't get it repaired - it's made to be disposable. Same thing with sewing machines, imo.

Ain't that the truth.
The Wife and I bought a Monkey Wards refrigerator 29 years ago and is now the garage fridge.....has never been serviced and still works like a charm. If I remember correctly we paid around $250 bucks for it.
Fast forward to 2017.....had to replace our built in GE Profile to the tune of $7000 bucks...broke in less than a year.

Indeed. We have a big freeze in our basement that we bought 22 years ago; and when we first moved into our house, we kept the ancient fridge it came with. I think we've had the freezer repaired once. The fridge must have been 35 years old when we finally had to replace it due to a replacement part no longer being made. I hate the new fridges. All of the energy efficiency nonsense makes the walls to thick and has reduced the interior space. I can't imagine what repairs will cost.

I hear ya!
Can't wait to head for a new smaller place!!

You'd be better off finding a used ELNA or Bernina from the 70s or 80s if you can find one in excellent condition. They have all metal parts instead of the cheap plastic in modern machines.
The one I have right now works for my needs, heck I've even sewn leather (fairly light weight, 3-4 oz) without any problems. Now if I was making this stuff for a living I'd fork out the big bucks but I'm not but I will probably upgrade to a Singer 4411 somewhere down the road.

Singers are all offshored now and they’re just crap. I was raised sewing on Singer machines. My mother never owned anything but. She still had her original black treadle machine.

I’m thinking of getting an embroidery machine, for use in my costume making. Anybody here had any experience or suggestions.

You'd be better off finding a used ELNA or Bernina from the 70s or 80s if you can find one in excellent condition. They have all metal parts instead of the cheap plastic in modern machines.
The one I have right now works for my needs, heck I've even sewn leather (fairly light weight, 3-4 oz) without any problems. Now if I was making this stuff for a living I'd fork out the big bucks but I'm not but I will probably upgrade to a Singer 4411 somewhere down the road.

Singers are all offshored now and they’re just crap. I was raised sewing on Singer machines. My mother never owned anything but. She still had her original black treadle machine.

I’m thinking of getting an embroidery machine, for use in my costume making. Anybody here had any experience or suggestions.
Hell, the majority of products we purchase these days are made off shore. Welcome to the modern age........

New Topics

Forum List

Back