Sewing machines

Period clothing would be great.

A lot of what you do will be couture. So the machine doesn't have to be amazing.

You only need expensive sewing machines for zips imo. But it's a flimsy piece of crap. Maybe start with it and then upgrade later?

Yeah, the sewing is pretty much straight forward, no real fancy stitching though some of my purist contemporaries would have conniptions if they knew I was using a sewing machine........ :lol:
I've managed to find outlets for relatively inexpensive natural (period correct) fabric, mostly linen, wools and silk, cotton from the 1840s and beyond. The interfacing in most cases calls for 24" woven all natural horsehair, but all I've been able to find is 22" and that is rather expensive.
I'd just be sewing it for me so I don't have to go with the generic fit (mostly blends with rayon and poly in them) that are commercially available.

Well crud. We just sold a leather/heavy fabric sewing machine.

I don't think the machine at your link would do very well with heavy duty fabrics. IMO, if you want to use it for heavier fabrics (like denim or duck or canvas weight) and still stay at that price, you should look for a used machine.

1700 - 1800 ... American? Like for re-enactments?

Last edited:

I don't think the machine at your link would do very well with heavy duty fabrics. IMO, if you want to use it for heavier fabrics (like denim or duck or canvas weight) and still stay at that price, you should look for a used machine.

Yeah, I've been doing reenacting/living history for decades. I was going to but a 1750s outfit together but now that I'm in the southwest (and not Spanish) I decided to go ahead with an 1870s/80s persona besides I already have most of what I need for that era.
And no, I'm not going to be a "cowboy", hell I'm 61 years old....... :lol:

Looking for a good, inexpensive (under $100) medium to heavy duty sewing machine that's easy to use and will sew fabrics like wool and canvas.

I was wondering if this would work.

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00VV4ZWBQ/?tag=ff0d01-20

I would be sewing my own period (1700s and 1800s) clothing.
Ringel,

I am Mike's daughter. Nice to meet you. Sewing is my hobby. you will be better off looking for a used Singer model 404 with a cabinet. it might cost you a bit more thn a hundred dollars but for what you want its better.

Merry Christmas.
Diane.

Check out stores that repair sewing machines.

For authentic period costumes it's best to use a machine as close to a foot-treadle driven machine as possible. There are still hundreds of old black Singers around of the models that first appeared in that form and were later motorized. I keep one for sewing wing sleeves out of Irish linen for vintage aircraft. You can get heavy-duty needles without too much effort. The one I have kept for over 50 years was converted and I use it almost exclusively as motorized but now and then, for a heavy, demanding job, I switch back to the treadle drive for very fine control of the stitching on multi-layer seams. Do too many of those and you get over-developed leg muscles!

1914-singer-model-66-red-eye-treadle.jpg

You can sometimes find one on eBay.

Check out stores that repair sewing machines.

For authentic period costumes it's best to use a machine as close to a foot-treadle driven machine as possible. There are still hundreds of old black Singers around of the models that first appeared in that form and were later motorized. I keep one for sewing wing sleeves out of Irish linen for vintage aircraft. You can get heavy-duty needles without too much effort. The one I have kept for over 50 years was converted and I use it almost exclusively as motorized but now and then, for a heavy, demanding job, I switch back to the treadle drive for very fine control of the stitching on multi-layer seams. Do too many of those and you get over-developed leg muscles!

View attachment 57332

You can sometimes find one on eBay.
Had one a long time ago, sold it. Nah, I'll stick with modern, as long as the fabric is correct then I'm not worried about it. Already went through my ultra-authentic phase back in my 30s and 40s, 99% of everyone looking at it wouldn't know the difference between hand sewn, antique machine sewn and modern machine sewn. Heck I'll probably use fusible cotton interfacing as opposed to woven horsehair interfacing, about half the cost and only I will know it's there.
Heck I could even cut my costs more by going with a wool/rayon blend fabric as the only way to tell it's rayon and not silk is to light it......... :dunno:

Yeah, I've been doing reenacting/living history for decades. I was going to but a 1750s outfit together but now that I'm in the southwest (and not Spanish) I decided to go ahead with an 1870s/80s persona besides I already have most of what I need for that era.

You better post pics!!!!

Looking for a good, inexpensive (under $100) medium to heavy duty sewing machine that's easy to use and will sew fabrics like wool and canvas.

I was wondering if this would work.

Amazon.com - SINGER 1304 Start Basic Everyday Free Arm Sewing Machine with ZigZag, Blind Hem Stitches and more -

I would be sewing my own period (1700s and 1800s) clothing.
Ringel,

I am Mike's daughter. Nice to meet you. Sewing is my hobby. you will be better off looking for a used Singer model 404 with a cabinet. it might cost you a bit more thn a hundred dollars but for what you want its better.

Merry Christmas.
Diane.
I'm not going to be doing any serious sewing other than making a few outfits. I'll be using tropical wools and light weight canvas (medium weight muslin).
I'm not planning on sewing a bear fur coat anytime soon........ :D

You better post pics!!!!
pict.jpg

Oooooh, pics not picts....... My bad........

Basically the outfit will look somewhat like this though I'll be going with somewhat different colors, the outfit Viggo's wearing;

appaloosa18.jpg

Basically the outfit will look somewhat like this though I'll be going with somewhat different colors, the outfit Viggo's wearing;

appaloosa18.jpg

Kinda the Tombstone look.
View attachment 57335
Roughly the same period. Already have a persona (history) worked out. Civil War with Syke's Regulars, V Corps, rising to the rank of Major, a year afterwards out west fighting Indians before resigning my commission to hunt buffalo. Back to scouting for the Army in the southwest then working as a railroad boss laying track from Galveston up to San Antonio and now have a freight company out of San Antonio supplying the Army in El Paso.
As for weapons I have a double barrel muzzleloading shotgun, an 1860 Calvary model Colt revolver, an 1859 Remington Revolver and I'm hoping to pick up an 1859 Sharps conversion to 52-70 (one of the favorite buffalo guns of the time).
If you look carefully you'll notice the gun belt he's wearing is not the gun belts you see in Hollywood movies, those weren't invented until the 1930s (I think). Basically it's a wide leather belt with an early slim holster that has a belt loop on the back, The other belt (on top) is simply a cartridge belt.

appaloosa18.jpg

Kinda the Tombstone look.
View attachment 57335
Roughly the same period. Already have a persona (history) worked out. Civil War with Syke's Regulars, V Corps, rising to the rank of Major, a year afterwards out west fighting Indians before resigning my commission to hunt buffalo. Back to scouting for the Army in the southwest then working as a railroad boss laying track from Galveston up to San Antonio and now have a freight company out of San Antonio supplying the Army in El Paso.
As for weapons I have a double barrel muzzleloading shotgun, an 1860 Calvary model Colt revolver, an 1859 Remington Revolver and I'm hoping to pick up an 1859 Sharps conversion to 52-70 (one of the favorite buffalo guns of the time).
If you look carefully you'll notice the gun belt he's wearing is not the gun belts you see in Hollywood movies, those weren't invented until the 1930s (I think). Basically it's a wide leather belt with an early slim holster that has a belt loop on the back, The other belt (on top) is simply a cartridge belt.

Holy shit!!! You're really into this stuff!
I think the American west is one of the most fascinating times in our history.
While there may be more important times in our nations history nothing compares to the mystique of the west.

Forum List

Back