Serious Discussion Thread

Procrustes Stretched

And you say, "Oh my God, am I here all alone?"
Dec 1, 2008
Positively 4th Street
Lots of people say they want a serious discussion. Somebody want to start? It is pretty simple to avoid the trolls. Staying on message is pretty simple. It may take time between posts, but if you go to your User cp, you should be able to subscribe to this thread and keep it easily accessible.

Go for it.

or not.

:cool:

And yet, you dodged your own question.

Demanding an answer that fits a presupposed/preconceived framework is a sign of weakness. Understanding and investigation of ideas and thoughts goes far beyond the tricks.tactics of debate.

The problem as I see it is that most educated people with limited intelligence confuse debate with argument.

nuance.

One can win a debate and still be wrong factually and intellectually. Arguments stand on their own. Then there is the honest ad open investigation of ideas. This is where opinion comes in. Opinion that is wrong is not to be confused with false argument.

What is it that people really want here? Of course people come here and other places to spam, troll and have fun...but for many there was an initial urge that was far deeper. What happens to that? What kills serious discussion and tamps down the urge to seek out ideas and other opinions, variety of views...conversation tinged with knowledge?

I know I don't have all the answers, but there is something I do know that many others do not.

D.

I agree. Moreover, I concur.

Nonetheless, I reserve the right to change my stance on this issue.

I think I figured out how to resolve the very serious problems with Pakistan.

go on

Well, basically, we want to replicate the Cold War between India and Pakistan. Check it out: First off, we need a series of negotiated agreements known as "redlines" that define what actions from either side will provoke a nuclear response. Then you need an actual Red Line, like the teletype machine between the White House and the Kremlin, but between Islamabad and Mumbai.

Then basically adopt a policy of containment Mr. X style. It would work too because much like the US-Soviet Pax Atomica India is far more powerful than Pakistan and is working very hard to build influence in A-stan as we speak.

Eventually, Pakistan's poor economy will fail because of military overspending, just like the Soviets did. We just have to make sure that the US is there to pick up the pieces, secure the nukes to transfer them to the new government, al a Poppy Bush in '90-'91.

It might take a decade, but it will work IMHO.

Lots of people say they want a serious discussion. Somebody want to start? It is pretty simple to avoid the trolls. Staying on message is pretty simple. It may take time between posts, but if you go to your User cp, you should be able to subscribe to this thread and keep it easily accessible.

Go for it.

or not.

A serious discussion does not start in a thread where the OP is a terminal pissante little troll, like dante.

Go for it.

or not.

Next time you try to engage a serious discussion drop the "or not"; it seems the "or not" rules the day.
I too would like to engage in serious discussion/debate on the issues of the day. Though I admit 'trolling' has some appeal, in particular when engaging others who believe opinions are expressions of judgment, when in reality (especially on message boards) opinons are mostly about taste.

Go for it.

or not.

Next time you try to engage a serious discussion drop the "or not"; it seems the "or not" rules the day.

I too would like to engage in serious discussion/debate on the issues of the day. Though I admit 'trolling' has some appeal, in particular when engaging others who believe opinions are expressions of judgment, when in reality (especially on message boards) opinons are mostly about taste.

not bad. :eusa_whistle:

And yet, you dodged your own question.

Demanding an answer that fits a presupposed/preconceived framework is a sign of weakness. Understanding and investigation of ideas and thoughts goes far beyond the tricks.tactics of debate.

The problem as I see it is that most educated people with limited intelligence confuse debate with argument.

nuance.

One can win a debate and still be wrong factually and intellectually. Arguments stand on their own. Then there is the honest ad open investigation of ideas. This is where opinion comes in. Opinion that is wrong is not to be confused with false argument.

What is it that people really want here? Of course people come here and other places to spam, troll and have fun...but for many there was an initial urge that was far deeper. What happens to that? What kills serious discussion and tamps down the urge to seek out ideas and other opinions, variety of views...conversation tinged with knowledge?

I know I don't have all the answers, but there is something I do know that many others do not.

D.
case made.

:eusa_shhh:

OOYL beeeyotch!

manicares.jpg

mani's 80s idol

Manson formed Marilyn Manson & the Spooky Kids in Florida in 1989...
:eusa_whistle:

Forum List

Back