Septic Tanks vs Sewer System

Hopefully a future investment. When power goes out we also lose the well pump. Luckily in twenty years here we have never lost power more than a couple of hours.
We definitely could do the natural gas generator.
We had a tornado just before the quarantines...
It knocked out both sets of transmission lines to the sub station that produces distribution power...
And that's when the fighting started.

They could have had power back in a day but...they started arguing over where to put the temp poles to run the power to the sub station. The transmission poles were trashed but the distribution lines were in decent shape mostly.

And it took 4 days for them to settle the argument. And a half day to restore the power.

When looking for a home, make sure it is connected to a sewer system and not a septic tank. Septic tanks get backed up on a regular basis and you will not be able to use your toilet.
We don't have sewer systems in most of KY. They are for typical over populated cities.

Treat your septic tank and drainfield right it will never back up. Don't flush TP, tampoons, don't dump old food down it and flush. Throw TP in a can with lid, not flush it down, use 1 ply non colored if you do.

If you have a load of people in the home that don't follow "treat it right" (septic usually designed for 4) have the poopumper guy suck it out every 4 years. I treat mine right, I'm 67 and only had a tank pumped once but was unnecessary.

When the tank is open and pumped shovel in some horse shit, jump starts the bacteria again. Got some old Fleishman's yeast dump a packet (open it not the foil) in the bowl and flush.

EJXknw9U8AIegPi.png

When looking for a home, make sure it is connected to a sewer system and not a septic tank. Septic tanks get backed up on a regular basis and you will not be able to use your toilet.

I've been living in the same home for 29 years with a septic tank.
I use Ridex and I try never to dump grease or coffee grounds down the drain.
Agree. 25 Years on mine. I do the same.

This isn't really true ... not if the installation was proper ... there should be a clean-out just a few feet before the tank ... if the tank inlet is blocked or the tank is full, simply unscrew the plug ... all the household plumbing will work as expected ...

The downside is that now you'll have raw sewage spilling out on the ground by your tank ... but trust me on this one, the pump truck guy can fix that ...

=====

Funny story I'd like to share ... not many but a few plumbers will confirm this ...

The first time this happened to me, I just blew it off ... one of those weird anomalies that occasionally come up ... Neptune was occluding Zyzzuvy's Star or something ...

The second time, I inquiried ...

Look ... I understand how damn slippery a woman's knickers can get, God knows how many have slipped through my hands ... but sewer systems are big enough around to handle a pair of knickers just fine ... it's not a problem if they slip out of your hands ... they'll be at the bottom of the tank soon enough, and I never asked the pump truck guy what he did with all the ones he was collecting ... what I don't understand is teeshirt, bra, pants, socks ... a woman undressing and flushing her clothes down the toilet ... teenager sized clothing ...

Well ... the answer came back ... you guessed it already ... there was indeed a teenaged girl involved and she had just seen her flowers for the first time ... and panicked ... and just ... kept ... flushing ...

This happened a total of three time to me over 21 years and 16 units ... so this is surprisingly common ... at least some of the women posters here would have done this ... perhaps they could explain this better, it's certainly beyond me ... but something to keep in mind if you come across a particularly stubborn problem ...

No they don't.

You have to get your septic tank pumped regularly and the cost is far less than your annual water and sewer bill.

You expect them to add Rid-X to their septic tanks and have them pumped every few years?

You've set your expectations far too high. :wink:

A properly maintained septic system should never back up. I lived on a property with one for 8 years and we never had a problem with it because we maintained it.

In Missouri, of you own three acres or more, lagoon sewer treatment is an option...

Forum List

Back