Separation of Church and State

The number of Supreme Court justices is not in the Constitution.

Primary elections are not in the Constitution.
Department of Education isn't in the Constitution. This country did better without it for 200 years.
You’re supposing that MLK actually has a say.
How stupid of you.
I'm saying MLK was a man of God and Warnock is a phoney leftist wolf in sheep's clothing.

Department of Education isn't in the Constitution. This country did better without it for 200 years.

I'm saying MLK was a man of God and Warnock is a phoney leftist wolf in sheep's clothing.
With which sermon do you take the most umbrage?

It ain't there. Libs are wrong on this one. If Congress wants to set up a national religion, they can do so.
No, they can't. The No Religion Test clause of Article VI specifies "[N]o religious Test shall ever be required as a Qualification to any Office or public Trust under the United States." This was placed in specifically because the Church of England did exactly that in order to establish and reinforce their national religion.

There is also, as many others have already mentioned, the First Amendment.

The DOI is a legal document.
No it isn't. It is essentially a Mission Statement, telling exactly why we were done with King George, and what kind of Union we were going to be. The laws at the time were each Colony's, and soon after, the short-lived Articles of Confederation.

Which leads to the observation that Separation of Church and State is, indeed, not in the Constitution, but neither is the guarantee for Life, Liberty, and the Pursuit of Happiness. No one seems to contest that, though.

No it isn't. It is essentially a Mission Statement, telling exactly why we were done with King George, and what kind of Union we were going to be. The laws at the time were each Colony's, and soon after, the short-lived Articles of Confederation.

Which leads to the observation that Separation of Church and State is, indeed, not in the Constitution, but neither is the guarantee for Life, Liberty, and the Pursuit of Happiness. No one seems to contest that, though.
The British thought it a powerful enough document to go to war over it.

That is what right wingers often claim. Do you know who doesn't believe that though?

I've had that very discussion on here with people on the left and I was given pat explanations as to why it is so difficult for blacks to get IDs: lack of birth certificates; lack of funds to purchase an ID, etc.

Then of course there is the accusation of voter suppression.
........ most black people.
Exactly. But a lot of white people do.

You're kidding, right? Every time the issue of voter ID comes up, Democrats call it voter suppression.
What does that have to do with the claim that Dems don't think blacks are capable of getting voter IDs?

That said, why would anyone bother with voter ID implementation these days? Waste of time.

God is not in the Constitution.

Go ahead. Try to find any mention of God in the Constitution. God, Creator, whatever.

Good luck with that.

At the very bottom, where it is signed and dated, you will find the secular, ""Seventeenth Day of September in the Year of our Lord one thousand seven hundred and Eighty seven".

But nowhere else is God mentioned in any form.
The Creator is mentioned in the Declaration of Independence.

If we truly believe in Separation of Church and State why de we allow so called reverends to run for office. Seems to be this should bar any clergyman be it a minister, priest or rabbi from holding office.
The principle is separation of church and state, not separation of Christians and state.

Any person who fits the criteria for the office of President (thirty five years of age, natural born citizen) can run for, and be elected to, the office of President. Anything else would be considered discrimination and unconstitutional.

What does that have to do with the claim that Dems don't think blacks are capable of getting voter IDs?

If one thinks requiring voter ID is voter suppression then by definition, one thinks blacks would have difficulty acquiring ID. Why else would they call it voter suppression?
That said, why would anyone bother with voter ID implementation these days? Waste of time.

It's only a waste of time if you don't have a problem with non-tax-paying illegal aliens voting or people committing voter fraud such as voting more than once or outside their district. All of these things have occurred already.

If one thinks requiring voter ID is voter suppression then by definition, one thinks blacks would have difficulty acquiring ID. Why else would they call it voter suppression?

Why would one not also think whites may have difficulty getting a voter ID as well?

It's only a waste of time if you don't have a problem with non-tax-paying illegal aliens voting or people committing voter fraud such as voting more than once or outside their district. All of these things have occurred already.
It's a waste of time because if Trump or someone like him lost an election, they would simply say voter IDs we're faked. Probably flew in from China on pallets and the supporters would believe it.

That ship has sailed.

The British thought it a powerful enough document to go to war over it.
The Revolution started more than a year before the Declaration of Independence was drafted. The British also didn't necessarily see it as a "war," but a putdown of civil unrest.

And even if they did, that still doesn't make it a legal document.

The Revolution started more than a year before the Declaration of Independence was drafted. The British also didn't necessarily see it as a "war," but a putdown of civil unrest.

And even if they did, that still doesn't make it a legal document.
Here's an interesting take on it. I see your reasoning. Here's one I likr.

I've had that very discussion on here with people on the left and I was given pat explanations as to why it is so difficult for blacks to get IDs: lack of birth certificates; lack of funds to purchase an ID, etc.

Then of course there is the accusation of voter suppression.

Exactly. But a lot of white people do.
Yep. Racists who believe that crap are usually white.

Why would one not also think whites may have difficulty getting a voter ID as well?

You tell me. The argument is bullshit and completely devoid of logic yet a lot of whites on the left maintain this idea anyway.

As I stated to Bulldog, I've had discussions on here with people on the left on the issue of voter ID and their positions are that requiring voter ID is voter suppression of blacks and minorities and that they (some, anyway) would have difficulty acquiring one.

I'm not making this shit up. It has become an issue to the point that a conservative organization (Turning Point, I believe) went out on the streets to ask people of both races if blacks would have a hard time acquiring an ID to vote. Many whites they talked to thought blacks would have some difficulty in this regard but the blacks they talked to were like, "What the fuck? Why would blacks have a hard time getting an ID?"
It's a waste of time because if Trump or someone like him lost an election, they would simply say voter IDs we're faked. Probably flew in from China on pallets and the supporters would believe it.

That ship has sailed.

That's like saying we shouldn't bother prosecuting the crime of murder since most murderers will deny it anyway.

This is pure speculation on your part; you don't know that this would happen. And even if it did, so what?

By the way, when I go vote, I am required where I live to present my ID (driver's license) to verify that I am registered to vote and to vote in that district. So I don't understand why 1.) requiring an ID to vote is a problem for some Democrats and 2.) Why IDs are not required everywhere already. It also makes me wonder if people can just show up at a polling station, not show ID, push buttons on the machine and leave. If that is what's happening in some places, holy fuck.

Forum List

Back