Separation anxiety

My baby left for college this morning, I thought it would be easy.:tears1:

Why would you have thought such? It's very traumatic. It'll be fine in a week or so. Did she go with friends? When I took my son freshman year, I stayed two nights in a hotel! (Seperation anxiety? Who me???) Trust me, it gets easier!

Wow, MrP.! And I was having trouble with my oldest starting middle school! Sorry for your anxiety... "This too shall pass." :(

At least she'll probably miss you too.

For the first few hours.
Of course, at least the first few days after getting used to cafeteria food or the first 'arguement' with someone.

Actually I think after the 'adjustment' week, the kids started getting 'homesick' about 3 or 4 weeks after leaving. I think there is a correlation there with dawning reality that while 'easier' than high school for most schedualing aspects, the responsibility has fully shifted onto the student. Funny thing, after the first Christmas break, (not Thanksgiving-too short), they were pretty eager to get back! ;)

At least she'll probably miss you too.

For the first few hours.
Don't listen to Mr C, he's just a young college kid.... if the embarrassing truth (to him, at least) were known, he's probably IMing, emailing and phone calling the folks back home every chance he gets....

Probably Mom and Dad send him a care package every now and then, too.

"Oh Mom, I forgot to pack my Teddy Bear, Mr. Buggles, could you please overnight him to me ASAP? Please?"

:teeth: :teeth: :teeth:

Don't listen to Mr C, he's just a young college kid.... if the embarrassing truth (to him, at least) were known, he's probably IMing, emailing and phone calling the folks back home every chance he gets....

Probably Mom and Dad send him a care package every now and then, too.

"Oh Mom, I forgot to pack my Teddy Bear, Mr. Buggles, could you please overnight him to me ASAP? Please?"

:teeth: :teeth: :teeth:

Oh I wish it was a Mr. Buggles. :laugh: My son emailed me, 'to send him a case of Gatorade, any flavor than Lemon.'

Me: 'Ummm, that would be too expensive to ship, dear.'

Him: 'Mom, you don't know how expensive it is to buy down here!' :eek2:

Of course, at least the first few days after getting used to cafeteria food or the first 'arguement' with someone.

Actually I think after the 'adjustment' week, the kids started getting 'homesick' about 3 or 4 weeks after leaving. I think there is a correlation there with dawning reality that while 'easier' than high school for most schedualing aspects, the responsibility has fully shifted onto the student. Funny thing, after the first Christmas break, (not Thanksgiving-too short), they were pretty eager to get back! ;)

Yep... that's about right. I went to a community college my first two years, then transferred to a four yer school for my junior year. I couldn't wait to go away and hang with my class mates. Then after a week or so, I got to see their disgusting habits and they got to see mine. By the end of the 2nd semester, we couldn't wait to get away from each other. One of my roommates moved out after the first semester, but not after leaving an insulting note about my girlfriend. The next year, I got to room with a bunch of guys I never laid eyes on before, they were great. In fact at the end of the year, we actually were getting along great. Too bad I was a senior and had to graduate.

Oh I wish it was a Mr. Buggles. :laugh: My son emailed me, 'to send him a case of Gatorade, any flavor than Lemon.'

Me: 'Ummm, that would be too expensive to ship, dear.'

Him: 'Mom, you don't know how expensive it is to buy down here!' :eek2:

Actually Mr Buggles isn't entirely made up. I had a room mate with a stuffed turtle!!!! And I don't mean a formerly living turtle that had been stuffed, no, it was a plushy toy! I think he had it since he was three....

Yep... that's about right. I went to a community college my first two years, then transferred to a four yer school for my junior year. I couldn't wait to go away and hang with my class mates. Then after a week or so, I got to see their disgusting habits and they got to see mine. By the end of the 2nd semester, we couldn't wait to get away from each other. One of my roommates moved out after the first semester, but not after leaving an insulting note about my girlfriend. The next year, I got to room with a bunch of guys I never laid eyes on before, they were great. In fact at the end of the year, we actually were getting along great. Too bad I was a senior and had to graduate.

Oh my. I was pretty lucky with the roomate deal. More kids seem to be getting 'single rooms' now, but I think they are missing out on just how disgusting and nice some people can be. I think college should be about roomates, especially for at least a year.

Both of my sons were not lucky of the roomate deal. My first son, for some reason, decided to have his dad take him down to school. His father helped him get the bags out of the car at 9am, shook his hand and said goodbye. So, my 17 year old son got everything up to his room, unpacked, and waited until 3 for his roomate.

He called me to ask what he should do. I was 4 hours away, so I said, "Why don't you go get your books?" I figured it would give him something to do.
He told me he thought his dad was going to buy them, but left. (I hung up and cried.) I told him to go ahead, have them call me and I'd charge them over the phone.

When he got back, still no roomate. It would be 3 days before he showed up, he was 21 and had been in jail, for drug possession. He drove a new BMW, his parents dropped him off, saying, "You better clean up your act some, we can't take this..." 3 weeks later, he was dealing drugs out of the room, my son did narc him, for the RA was obviously watching their room.

Needless to say, it was a very rocky start. Luckily he had rushed and joined a fraternity, moving out of the dorm in sophomore year.

Obviously the second son learned from the oldest, I went down with him on Friday night getting a hotel room, figuring we'd move him in on Saturday. Turned out because we were early, they let him move in on Friday. So I got the room to myself, he got to stay in the dorm which we set up. The next day his roomate was there by 10:30 and the parents were nice.

At first, all was fine, they seemed a lot alike. After about a month, the roomie was drinking and partying until late, often with friends in the room. My son on the other hand, is pretty regimented. He likes his 'fun' on Friday/Sat, otherwise he wants to be up at 5am for a run and does homework sleep to make that happen.

After the first semester, he moved to an 'honors floor' with a mandatory 8pm quiet rule. He and his roomate there got along great. The guys from that second semester are among his best friends from school now. 2nd year he made RA and has his own room since. ;)

My brother and I have been really close since I was born. I remember it being really hard for him to go to college, my dad was in Iraq at the time, too.

This last Sunday (day before yesterday) we moved him back in, for his second year. He has an apartment this year with 3 other ROTC cadets. I met one of which, she seemed nice. I cant wait to go and visit and maybe catch a Badgers game. I'll admit it, I did the same thing Mr. P probably did.

Oh, and sorry to semi-necropost.

My brother and I have been really close since I was born. I remember it being really hard for him to go to college, my dad was in Iraq at the time, too.

This last Sunday (day before yesterday) we moved him back in, for his second year. He has an apartment this year with 3 other ROTC cadets. I met one of which, she seemed nice. I cant wait to go and visit and maybe catch a Badgers game. I'll admit it, I did the same thing Mr. P probably did.

Oh, and sorry to semi-necropost.

Men do cry, Semper. Don't let anyone ever tell ya different.

Forum List

Back