Senator John Thune: Top Senate Republican threatens to tank the economy if he can't cut Social Security

Lakhota

Diamond Member
Jul 14, 2011
Native America
Senate Minority Whip John Thune said Republicans want to hold the country's credit hostage if they can't cut Social Security benefits.

Sen. John Thune of South Dakota, the No. 2 Republican in the U.S. Senate, said on Tuesday that the GOP plans to use the debt ceiling as leverage to make cuts to Social Security and other social safety net programs.

Does Thune understand who owns the Social Security money? What do you think?

1670022146325.png

1670022117994.png

The article and the OP are, to put it simply, lies. Period. Lies. No other word for it.

Neither this Senator nor any other Senator has suggested cutting SS benefits.

Is Lahkota a liar, or just stupid?

It is a puzzle.

If anyone wants to refute the above, please provide a QUOTATION of any Republican senator suggesting a cut to SS benefits.

I won't hold my breath.

And now we turn to the real world and see what Thune has ACTUALLY said:

On entitlement program changes, Thune said Congress should weigh an increase in the Social Security retirement age. But he didn’t rule out a deal that might simply start the process of making key changes, pointing to a proposal by GOP Senator Mitt Romney and others for a task force to examine what needs to be done.

The article and the OP are, to put it simply, lies. Period. Lies. No other word for it.

Neither this Senator nor any other Senator has suggested cutting SS benefits.

Is Lahkota a liar, or just stupid?

It is a puzzle.

If anyone wants to refute the above, please provide a QUOTATION of any Republican senator suggesting a cut to SS benefits.

I won't hold my breath.

Yes and yes.

The money raised by the SS (and Medicare) Payroll Taxes HAVE NOT been "put into the general fund." That would be a violation of law. They go into the SS Trust Fund, from which they are borrowed by the general fund, and those loans must be repaid.

RIGHT NOW, the revenues generated by the Payroll Taxes are insufficient to pay for the benefits being paid, so the general fund is repaying those loans, supplementing SS revenues, in order to continue paying benefits as required by law.

One can say that this is all just accounting bullshit, but it is the law. Without the TRUST FUND, SS would have been declared UNCONSTITUTIONAL from the beginning, so Congress will respect that fiction utterly. The alternative is too awful to even contemplate.

Senate Minority Whip John Thune said Republicans want to hold the country's credit hostage if they can't cut Social Security benefits.

Sen. John Thune of South Dakota, the No. 2 Republican in the U.S. Senate, said on Tuesday that the GOP plans to use the debt ceiling as leverage to make cuts to Social Security and other social safety net programs.

Does Thune understand who owns the Social Security money? What do you think?
How does ANYBODY tank the economy worse than vegetable Joe and the democrats already have over the past two years. How have you survived for as long as you have being as STOOOOPID as you are.

Whaleshit. Social Security is a Ponzi scheme. The money you pay in isn’t saved anywhere -your payments are coming entirely from the taxes of current workers.

Your little meme is an absolute lie meant to fool people, but it couldn’t be further from the truth.

Do NOT count on this bullshit for your own retirement, invest and save as though you will never see these handouts at young workers expense, because you probably won’t.

The program is flagrantly unconstitutional and should have ended by SCOTUS immediately when it was passed after a stay preventing implementation. It is utterly unsustainable.

If you see anyone ACTUALLY willing to tackle this problem head on by phasing out this bullshit mistake, let me know, as they should have the full support of anyone rational.

Last edited:
The largest holder of U.S. debt is the U.S government. Which agencies own the most Treasury notes, bills, and bonds? Social Security, by a long shot. The U.S. Treasury publishes this information in its monthly Treasury statement.

Social Security trusts, including the Federal Old-Age and Survivors Insurance and Federal Disability Insurance Trust Funds, held $2.75 trillion in Treasurys as of August 2022. The next largest agency was the Military Retirement Fund at $1.18 trillion. Other large holders of debt include the Office of Personnel Management Retirement, Medicare (which includes the Federal Supplementary Medical Insurance Trust Fund), then cash on hand to fund federal government operations.

Are you retarded? Google the "Biden economy"...

STFU ya stupid indian.
The economy sucks and everyone knows it.
You'd have to be a complete idiot not to notice the price of gas,inflation the lack of goods and the insane prices of what is available.
We're making a pot of seafood gumbo this weekend and it's going to cost over $300 bucks for the seafood. That more than double what we normally pay.
Fuck you and fuck Google.

The largest holder of U.S. debt is the U.S government. Which agencies own the most Treasury notes, bills, and bonds? Social Security, by a long shot. The U.S. Treasury publishes this information in its monthly Treasury statement.

Sorry but it's the US citizens that have to pay that debt.

And now we turn to the real world and see what Thune has ACTUALLY said:

On entitlement program changes, Thune said Congress should weigh an increase in the Social Security retirement age. But he didn’t rule out a deal that might simply start the process of making key changes, pointing to a proposal by GOP Senator Mitt Romney and others for a task force to examine what needs to be done.

I get what he is saying (and how it was distorted) but the debt ceiling should not be used as a “vehicle” for legislation. It used to be a standard bipartisan vote, without a battle because all it is is paying our bills…moneyalready spent.

How does ANYBODY tank the economy worse than vegetable Joe and the democrats already have over the past two years. How have you survived for as long as you have being as STOOOOPID as you are.

STFU ya stupid indian.
The economy sucks and everyone knows it.
You'd have to be a complete idiot not to notice the price of gas,inflation the lack of goods and the insane prices of what is available.
We're making a pot of seafood gumbo this weekend and it's going to cost over $300 bucks for the seafood. That more than double what we normally pay.
Fuck you and fuck Google.
Another example that I experienced today. An extension spring 1/2" diameter x 3" long x 12 GA,= $30. I couldn't find one in a 100 mi. radius of my house. SMFH, so my tractor has to be jury rigged so that I can plow the driveway. Biden Economy! That's the dumbest thing I've heard in years.

Forum List

Back