Senate preparing to vote on building Border Fence

Little-Acorn

Gold Member
Jun 20, 2006
San Diego, CA
The Senate is set to consider the House Fence Bill that passed in the House last week by a margin of 283-138.

The vote may happen as early as today!!

This bill is part of the House's "Border Security Now" package. The Secure Fence Act authorizes: Construction of 700 miles of reinforced fencing along the southwest border. The bill also mandates that the Department of Homeland Security achieve operational control over the entire border. It also reverses present policy and gives border agents the right to disable fleeing vehicles along the border.

Doing this a piece at a time is far better than not doing it at all. This fence will stop most (though not all) illegal border crossers, and will make most of the rest travel literally hundreds of miles out into flat deserts without roads, a place where most cannot or will not go. We eventually need to fence even those trackless wastes, to remove the temptation for them to kill themselves trying.

We also need a bill to expand the Border Patrol enough to patrol the border adequately. Though a good fence will cut down on illegal border crossings by 90% or more, no fence can stop 100% of them. And, with enough time and effort, any fence can be cut or bridged or etc. We also need the border to be patrolled well enough to catch the ones who get through. A fence will allow the BP to concentrate on those relatively few individuals. The fence now, the Border Patrol tomorrow.

Yesterday Senator Frist picked up the fence bill and appears determined to carry it into law. He actually filed parliamentary motions that will force the bill onto the Senate floor, saying “It is time to secure the border with Mexico.”

We are asking everyone to contact the key "Amnesty Republicans," urging them to support the Secure Fence Act (HR 6061).

With your help, we believe we can move several key Republicans to support this bill.

Here is a list of Amnesty Republicans (practically all of the Democrats are pro-Amnesty):

John McCain (R-AZ) 202-224-2235
Lindsay Graham (R-SC) 202-224-5972
Mike DeWine (R-OH) 202-224-2315
Arlen Specter (R-PA) 202-224-4254
John Warner (R-VA) 202-224-2023
Richard Lugar (R-IN) 202-224-4814
Robert Bennett (R-UT) 202-224-5444
Sam Brownback (R-KS) 202-224-6521
Lincoln Chaffee (R-RI) 202-224-2921
Norm Coleman (R-MN) 202-224-5641
Judd Gregg (R-NH) 202-224-3324
Chuck Hagel (R-NE) 202-224-4224
Mitch McConnell (R-KY) 202-224-2541
Lisa Murkowski (R-AK) 202-224-6665
Susan Collins (R-ME) 202-224-2523
Larry Craig (R-ID) 202-224-2752
Pete Domenici (R-NM) 202-224-6621
Mel Martinez (R-FL) 202-224-3041
Gordon Smith (R-OR) 202-224-3753
Olympia Snowe (R-ME) 202-224-5344
Ted Stevens (R-AK) 202-224-3004
George Voinovich (R-OH) 202-224-3353

Kudos for this post, and for the great work you're doing. Unhappily, I find BOTH of my Senators on that list - and both of them OHIO REPUBLICANS!

I wonder if the Senate appreciates the seriousness of this particular vote. These guys are making CAREER DECISIONS here.

Kudos for this post, and for the great work you're doing. Unhappily, I find BOTH of my Senators on that list - and both of them OHIO REPUBLICANS!

I wonder if the Senate appreciates the seriousness of this particular vote. These guys are making CAREER DECISIONS here.

Both of my former Alaskan senators are on that list, both ALASKA REPUBLICANS!

:(

Don't feel like the lone ranger MM..
Both of mine, are on that list also.....:mad:

I've been bombarding them with faxes through the numbersusa site...

Stephanie and Semper Fi:

You have my profound sympathy. The only good news I can offer is that it ain't over yet. These guys still have time to realize that the light at the end of the tunnel is, in fact, an oncoming train. Psychotic, absurdly hopeful Democrats have been kidding themselves that it's the 1970's again - that voter discontent is going to translate into a referendum on the war - that they'll ride their pathological hatred of America into the constellations of power once again. As usual, they're misreading the voters and missing the point. America is PISSED about this immigration madness, and that anger is going to cut through this election cycle like a scythe. If your senators and mine value their jobs, they'd better get to the business of representing their constituents - or they're going to be cut down like so many weeds.

Forum List

Back