Senate bill would prohibit carry-on bag fee

Dont Taz Me Bro

Diamond Member
Staff member
Senior USMB Moderator
Gold Supporting Member
Nov 17, 2009
Las Vegas, Nevada
I am getting so sick and tired of the Federal government digging its hands into every damn thing it touches. Whether or not an airline charges for a carry-on bag is none of the government's business. They do not have a right to tell an airline what they can and can't charge people for. If you don't want to pay $45 to for your carry-on bag, then don't fly Spirit airlines. See how simple that is? When Spirit starts losing customers they'll be forced to do away with the fee. The bottom line is if Spirit is intent on getting this money, they'll simply just raise ticket prices and get it anyway. We don't need the government to be involved. This is another occurrence of them attempting to over reach their Constitutional limitations.

Airlines would be prohibited from charging fees for carry-on bags, according to U.S. Senate legislation introduced Tuesday to counter a new luggage fee of up to $45 at low-cost carrier Spirit.

Democrats Ben Cardin and Mary Landrieu said carry-ons often contain personal items that are "important for the safety and health" of travelers. These may include medication, personal care products and eyewear.

"At this point, only one airline has announced plans to charge for carry-on item fees, but we cannot allow these flood gates to open," Cardin said in a statement announcing the bill he and Landrieu sponsored.

Senate bill would prohibit carry-on bag fee - News- msnbc.com

they should dis- allow all carry on baggage.. think of the fossil fuel that would be saved.. unless you have a baby who needs a bottle and a diaper change. you don't need a carry on.. waste of time, fuel energy and space. and besides which they could board a plane full of people in 1/4th the time if people weren't up dicking around in the overhead bins. It's always bin :eusa_angel: my number one pet peeve when flying,, some asshole rushes on opens door,, shoves, stuffs crams his shit in the bin, sits by window.. next passenger is seated next to him,,in aisle, then the asshole decides he needs something so he pops up, over the other passenger into the aisle, everthing comes to a standstill while he hauls his shit back out,, rifles through it, rearranges it, pulls out a fucking pocketbook novel and then sits back down.. outlaw that shit.

Stupid asses think that this sort of nonsense will help them regain some of their popularity. Unfortunately for them, many will see right through their attempts at appearing to "look out for our best interests", when what it all really boils down to is the government gaining more control and teaching people to depend on them to "take care of our needs".

The airlines should be able to charge anything they want. There are plenty of upstart airlines who can draw passengers away from the majors if they don't charge excessive fees.

The airlines should just raise their rates and stop the nickel and dime crap

It is a gimmick on the airlines part....we used to fly where checked baggage and carry on baggage was INCLUDED in the price of the ticket...2 bags to check in and 2 bags that can carry on...

Then the airlines decided to charge 25 bucks per piece of check in baggage, then the airlines changed it to 25\\$25 for the first piece of checked baggage and $50 for the second piece of baggage, and some now charge for seat assignment ahead of reaching the airport, and NOW they want to charge for our checked in baggage too?

It is BULL CRAP on the airline's part....

They advertise their flight for $199 Fare to new york, but then when you go to book it, it is 50% more in price than what they advertised, due to the fees of check in baggage....

Yes, they can price their product but they should NOT be allowed to deceive their customers with this kind of machination.... Just price the ticket, so we KNOW the full cost of the flight, UPFRONT.

I agree, gov't has no business doing this. Seems to me it would be Spirit airlines suicide if they made that stupid fee.

Airlines need to come up with better ways to get revenue. ONe thought I had is to sell ad space on the back of seats. For cheaper ticket, I wouldn't mind looking at an ad during the flight

As much as people bitch and complain about the airlines, they don't have a large profit margin. With the price of jet fuel way up, they have to make sure their flights are full, hence why they usually overbook to ensure that. it doesn't take much for an airline to start losing money

Last edited:
They are not charging less or more overall....the reason they are doing it this way is to fool customers and make them believe they can afford to fly, whether vacation or work.

They use this for ADVERTISING ONLY so that they can advertise things like $99 Fares, but the truth of the matter is that it is a $199 dollar fare, when said and done, and THAT is the fare they had advertised before they began this measure.

As far as fuel going up...there is an additional fee also added to the fare price for that, and as far as safety there is an additional 9/11 fee added to the fare as well and as far as other security fees, they are added to the price as well etc etc etc...along with adding baggage fees and NOW adding carry on fees as well....?

It is deceiving...I don't believe deceit is a part of capitalism, nor should it ever be....let the sun shine in.... Instead of a Bait and Switch

Advertise, UPFRONT, what the ACTUAL cost of the fare between New York and San Francisco is....

I took a fare to Tampa, from Bangor maine, on allegiant airlines....they advertised a $19 dollar fare from BGR to TPA....

But when I went to book it....they charged, a fee to purchase the ticket on line, they charged a fee to get your seat assignment, and they charged a fee for my one bag....they charged all kinds of fees like 9/11 fees etc...

The fare was $119 dollars one way, when I was done the booking....

NOW IF THAT is NOT false Advertising, I don't know what is.....

They are not charging less or more overall....the reason they are doing it this way is to fool customers and make them believe they can afford to fly, whether vacation or work.

They use this for ADVERTISING ONLY so that they can advertise things like $99 Fares, but the truth of the matter is that it is a $199 dollar fare, when said and done, and THAT is the fare they had advertised before they began this measure.

As far as fuel going up...there is an additional fee also added to the fare price for that, and as far as safety there is an additional 9/11 fee added to the fare as well and as far as other security fees, they are added to the price as well etc etc etc...along with adding baggage fees and NOW adding carry on fees as well....?

It is deceiving...I don't believe deceit is a part of capitalism, nor should it ever be....let the sun shine in.... Instead of a Bait and Switch

Advertise, UPFRONT, what the ACTUAL cost of the fare between New York and San Francisco is....
except its a huge par if capitalism

Ninetendo represents the worst of capitalism with the Wii. Yeah, when it came out it was much cheaper than Xbox 360 and PS3, but you only got one controller. Had to buy another control ($50), 2 nunchuks ($40 each), memory card ($20) cause they put the tiniest amount of memory on the actual hardware) and other accessories so that by the time you got it all it was just as much as the other systems

Agreed but govt should not be in the business to regulate this. Let the free market solve this as it will. Many other airlines were quoted this past week that they would not be adding this fee. Let the people choose. If the govt regulates this, the airlines will just hide the fee in a higher ticket price and more consumers will lose out.

It is a gimmick on the airlines part....we used to fly where checked baggage and carry on baggage was INCLUDED in the price of the ticket...2 bags to check in and 2 bags that can carry on...

Then the airlines decided to charge 25 bucks per piece of check in baggage, then the airlines changed it to 25\\$25 for the first piece of checked baggage and $50 for the second piece of baggage, and some now charge for seat assignment ahead of reaching the airport, and NOW they want to charge for our checked in baggage too?

It is BULL CRAP on the airline's part....

They advertise their flight for $199 Fare to new york, but then when you go to book it, it is 50% more in price than what they advertised, due to the fees of check in baggage....

Yes, they can price their product but they should NOT be allowed to deceive their customers with this kind of machination.... Just price the ticket, so we KNOW the full cost of the flight, UPFRONT.
Care, the bill I heard Senator Schumer discussing this AM was about Spirit airlines offering very low rates (up to the discerning customer to determine as compared to others) but they would have a separate $45. charge for carry on luggage. All other things being equal, and if the customer is willing, why should they be restricted from carving out a niche of their own by offering this program?

Last edited:
And when the SEANTE is at it? WHY the fuck don't they advocate carry-on fees to the heavily subsidized AMTRAK?

How about Grehound Buses? Trailways? Or any other transportation mode?

Isn't this where *WE* are headed as a Nation if this comes to fruition?

Yep. Rhetoric. They're proposing to TELL Companies what they can/cannot do...FUCK the Senate telling companies what they can/Cannot DO.

It illustrates WHY government needs to shut up and let Customers take care of it on it's own.

That's right...Comapnies cannot be trusted...

New Topics

Forum List

Back