Sen. Tom Coburn (R - OK) is retiring after 2016

Statistikhengst

Diamond Member
Nov 21, 2013
deep within the statistical brain!!
First big Senate retirement announcement of the year.

Tom Coburn is resigning.

US Sen. Coburn to Resign After Current Session - ABC News

He is also keeping his word by doing this: in 2010, he said that were he to be re-elected, he would not seek a third term.

This is unlikely to change anything in the calculus for the 2014 mid-terms, for Coburn's retirement is as of January 2017 and his seat is surely safe (R) no matter who the candidate is.

Tom Coburn - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

For those who don't know. Sen. Coburn is also a physician and a Southern Baptist Deacon. He is also battling cancer, and I wish him a full recovery.

Last edited:
I like Coburn. This is a significant loss in my opinion regardless of party affiliation. I put Coburn in the same class as Wyden of Oregon. Both are fairly hard nosed guys who are fair imo.

• Banned
Yepp. I like him as well. And I think he is a principled guy and one who can disagree with a President, and strongly at that, and still be friendly with him. That says a lot.

I am impressed that he kept his word, but not surprised that he kept his word.

Self-imposed term-limits. I like.

• Banned
Really, really bad news:

Coburn is now retiring at the end of this congressional session, not at the end of his term in 2016:

http://www.coburn.senate.gov/public...ecord_id=61711d96-4e1f-4d29-b826-0bb22521acdf

This can only mean that the cancer is getting the better of him. This is heartbreaking to see happen to any person.

It also means there will be one more Senatorial election in 2014, a special Senatorial for Oklahoma. Prognosis: Rock-Solid (R).

Damn, cancer seems to be everywhere. All I can do is to wish Senator Coburn and his family well. Coburn, an arch-Conservative, has also been a true gentleman at the well of the Senate.

[MENTION=45104]WelfareQueen[/MENTION] [MENTION=25505]Jroc[/MENTION] [MENTION=20412]JakeStarkey[/MENTION] [MENTION=32163]Listening[/MENTION]

Forum List

Back