Sen. Menendez Threatens To Subpoena Defense Secretary Lloyd Austin Over His Refusal To Answer For Afghanistan

excalibur

Diamond Member
Mar 19, 2015
Hopefully, the clock is ticking on this needed threat to the in-over-his-head Austin.

Austin's refusal is inexplicable and inexcusable.

Democratic New Jersey Sen. Bob Menendez threatened to “compel” Secretary of Defense Lloyd Austin to appear before the Senate Foreign Relations Committee on Tuesday.

“I’m very disappointed that Secretary Austin declined our request to testify today,” Menendez, the committee chairman, said in his opening remarks to an appearance by Secretary of State Antony Blinken.

“I expect the secretary will avail himself to the committee in the near future and if he does not, I may consider the use of committee subpoena power to compel him and others over the course of these last 20 years to testify,” Menendez said.

“A full accounting of the U.S. response to this crisis is not complete without the pentagon, especially when it comes to understanding the complete collapse of the U.S.-trained and funded afghan military,” he continued. “His decision not to appear before the committee will affect my personal judgment on the Department of Defense nominees.”

Menendez also asked the Biden administration “to remain focused on Afghanistan” and that the “world bear witness and take action” against political and religious abuses from the Taliban. The senator also said the response from the White House throughout the Afghanistan withdrawal has “often been vague or contradictory.”

The Senate Armed Services Committee has also invited Secretary of Defense Lloyd Austin and Chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff Gen. Mark Milley to attend an open hearing in order to answer questions about the Afghanistan withdrawal.

He still has the right to remain silent, and the Senate can’t make him talk. They can subpoena him and that’s about it.

Even if he is found in contempt of the Senate, it won’t mean much. That would be over turned in the DC Circuit.

I like Senator Menendez, but I don’t think that the Senate can do much.

He still has the right to remain silent, and the Senate can’t make him talk. They can subpoena him and that’s about it.

Even if he is found in contempt of the Senate, it won’t mean much. That would be over turned in the DC Circuit.

I like Senator Menendez, but I don’t think that the Senate can do much.
He can be given immunity from incriminating himself and thus would have to answer questions.....though I do not expect him to refuse to talk.

He has a lot of protection by the mere fact he is black....no senator wants to be accused of being a racist and thus they will not grill him the way they have blinken.

When Menendez subpoenas a member of his own party for questioning, he's usually trying to divert attention away from something shady he did.

Pompeo rejects Congress’ subpoenas for IG, Biden probe info​

In letters sent to the House Foreign Affairs Committee, Pompeo and the State Department’s acting legislative affairs chief said they had no intention of complying with the subpoenas. They said the subpoenas were politically motivated, without merit, and unnecessary as the information and testimony could be otherwise obtained. The letters were obtained by The Associated Press shortly after they were sent to Capitol Hill.
----------------------------------
many under tramp admin ignored subpoenas.

Hopefully, the clock is ticking on this needed threat to the in-over-his-head Austin.

Democratic New Jersey Sen. Bob Menendez threatened to “compel” Secretary of Defense Lloyd Austin to appear before the Senate Foreign Relations Committee on Tuesday.
“I’m very disappointed that Secretary Austin declined our request to testify today,” Menendez, the committee chairman, said in his opening remarks to an appearance by Secretary of State Antony Blinken.
“I expect the secretary will avail himself to the committee in the near future and if he does not, I may consider the use of committee subpoena power to compel him and others over the course of these last 20 years to testify,” Menendez said.
“A full accounting of the U.S. response to this crisis is not complete without the pentagon, especially when it comes to understanding the complete collapse of the U.S.-trained and funded afghan military,” he continued. “His decision not to appear before the committee will affect my personal judgment on the Department of Defense nominees.”
Menendez also asked the Biden administration “to remain focused on Afghanistan” and that the “world bear witness and take action” against political and religious abuses from the Taliban. The senator also said the response from the White House throughout the Afghanistan withdrawal has “often been vague or contradictory.”
The Senate Armed Services Committee has also invited Secretary of Defense Lloyd Austin and Chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff Gen. Mark Milley to attend an open hearing in order to answer questions about the Afghanistan withdrawal.

When you're an American Marxist and lose a troubled soul like Menendez, you're fucked

When you're an American Marxist and lose a troubled soul like Menendez, you're fucked

There are 45 Connecticut residents stuck in Afghanistan, both Senators are Democrats, both are unhappy, with Blumenthal having spoken out about the situation.

Menendez can be formidable.....even if he is a pedophile.

JO

Forum List

Back