Sen Intel Cmte: "Soviets" the source of 2016 fake news

cnelsen

Gold Member
Oct 11, 2016
Washington, DC
I watched a few minutes of the Senate Intelligence Committee's hearing on Russian interference in the US election just passed. I'm not sure whether, with age, I am more sensitive to political farce or our political class is becoming more embarrassing, but this shit takes the cake in terms of national humiliation.

Sen Warner's opening statement was a rhetorically inflammatory bucket of cynicism and hypocrisy. He alluded darkly to the vast network of Russian secret, almost supernaturally sophisticated, operatives, mysterious powers of coordination, and a nefarious "fake news" operation churning out a "deluge" of misleading disinformation and feeding it to our well-meaning, but naive, media who were duped by the sinister Russkies into passing along the lies.

The Virginia Democrat waxed downright warlike with a patriotic denunciation of any defilement of the sanctity of the American electoral process. Sitting behind him were a row of rabbis down in DC for the AIPAC convention just wrapped up. It was hard to ignore their collective sniggering at the towering hypocrisy of Warner's phony outrage. AIPAC, you'll recall, is the official arm of Israeli interference in, not only US elections, but the whole of US politics. Warner seemed unaware of how sickeningly pharisaical it is for a member of the body that voted 77 - 23 to invade Iraq based on phony intel provided by Mossad, the Israeli intelligence service, to be dishing indignation at Russia's "foreign meddling".

In his opening statement, the first witness, a professor at Georgetown, said:

"Little evidence has come to the fore of Soviet direct meddling in the actual mechanical election processes of major countries; but they did try to influence the outcomes of the elections and the behavior of foreign leaders in parties, trade unions, the media, and culture."

But then went on to note we do the same thing:

"Yes, from the late 1940s forward the U.S. and other liberal democracies did use overt and covert measures to defend and assist democratic elements abroad—labor, media, intellectuals, and parties—that were under direct attack abroad by well-trained and financed political forces from the Soviet Bloc"

And, in fact, we require foreign actors to meddle in our politics:

"The U.S. National Counterintelligence Strategy of 2016 does call for the collection and analysis of the threats from foreign intelligence"

The professor finished by recommending we counter Russian fake news with fake news of our own:

"Another is to disseminate a positive narrative to refute specific Russian attempts to undermine the democratic narrative."
The swamp gas is already malodorous in this hearing room, but Sen Schumer is on the committee and so look for the atmosphere to turn downright noxious when it's his turn on camera. As for Actual Evidence of the impact of Russia on this election: zero.

"The U.S. National Counterintelligence Strategy of 2016 does call for the collection and analysis of the threats from foreign intelligence"

What? Did the man expound on that in any way?

National Counterintelligence Strategy of the United States of America 2016

I just finished reading that document. I don't see anything that "requires foreign actors to meddle in our politics."

Sen Warner's opening statement was a rhetorically inflammatory bucket of cynicism and hypocrisy. He alluded darkly to the vast network of Russian secret, almost supernaturally sophisticated, operatives, mysterious powers of coordination, and a nefarious "fake news" operation churning out a "deluge" of misleading disinformation and feeding it to our well-meaning, but naive, media who were duped by the sinister Russkies into passing along the lies.

Of course, how else do you speak about foreign espionage and election tampering? Using positive adjectives and a sun will come out tomorrow attitude?

This description is a predictable as saying a Disney movie was cute with a positive message.

I watched a few minutes of the Senate Intelligence Committee's hearing on Russian interference in the US election just passed. I'm not sure whether, with age, I am more sensitive to political farce or our political class is becoming more embarrassing, but this shit takes the cake in terms of national humiliation.

The Virginia Democrat waxed downright warlike with a patriotic denunciation of any defilement of the sanctity of the American electoral process. Sitting behind him were a row of rabbis down in DC for the AIPAC convention just wrapped up. It was hard to ignore their collective sniggering at the towering hypocrisy of Warner's phony outrage. AIPAC, you'll recall, is the official arm of Israeli interference in, not only US elections, but the whole of US politics. Warner seemed unaware of how sickeningly pharisaical it is for a member of the body that voted 77 - 23 to invade Iraq based on phony intel provided by Mossad, the Israeli intelligence service, to be dishing indignation at Russia's "foreign meddling".

"Little evidence has come to the fore of Soviet direct meddling in the actual mechanical election processes of major countries; but they did try to influence the outcomes of the elections and the behavior of foreign leaders in parties, trade unions, the media, and culture."

"Yes, from the late 1940s forward the U.S. and other liberal democracies did use overt and covert measures to defend and assist democratic elements abroad—labor, media, intellectuals, and parties—that were under direct attack abroad by well-trained and financed political forces from the Soviet Bloc"

The professor finished by recommending we counter Russian fake news with fake news of our own:

"Another is to disseminate a positive narrative to refute specific Russian attempts to undermine the democratic narrative."
The swamp gas is already malodorous in this hearing room, but Sen Schumer is on the committee and so look for the atmosphere to turn downright noxious when it's his turn on camera. As for Actual Evidence of the impact of Russia on this election: zero.
Warner seemed unaware of how sickeningly pharisaical it is for a member of the body that voted 77 - 23 to invade Iraq based on phony intel provided by Mossad,

Uh....when was this?

That was from his opening statement posted on line. I quit watching midway through it, so don't know whether he did in his oral testimony.

What I find most telling is I have yet to see any concrete evidence of these fake stories they always allude to, that swayed the election in Trumps favor.

Funny thing is, I suppose we have fed a few fake stories to the Russkies through the years, already. That Prof just might want to review some history there.

That was from his opening statement posted on line. I quit watching midway through it, so don't know whether he did in his oral testimony.
Okay...TY

Of course, how else do you speak about foreign espionage and election tampering? Using positive adjectives and a sun will come out tomorrow attitude?

This description is a predictable as saying a Disney movie was cute with a positive message.
I contemplated not using "alluded darkly" as too trite, but, then, the hearing itself, indeed, the whole "the Russians are coming" hysteria, is an exercise in trite, so I deemed it appropriate.

Forum List

Back