SEI

If you count Portland as "Maine" rather than "San Francisco East" - yeah, I could imagine your visiting a million times. Dithering back and forth between there and reality at the speed of light!
You don't imagine Maine to be some exotic locale, do you? Bar Harbor is a very popular summer vacation destination.

You don't imagine Maine to be some exotic locale, do you? Bar Harbor is a very popular summer vacation destination.
I challenge you to try to phonetically spell out "Bar Harbor" as it is spoken there.

True, though, it may have degenerated. This thread caused me to check on when I was last in Bar Harbor. It was inbound from Yarmouth on one of the last voyages of the vibratory wonder "Bluenose". Of course at age 12 you can hardly be expected to even be aware of that ferry.

The problem is that it is true. Our children are dumb as rocks.
We have gone from teaching this:
  • aboard
  • about
  • above
  • across
  • after
  • against
  • along
  • amid
  • among
  • anti
  • around
  • as
  • at
to made up bullshit like this:

View attachment 567296

So, now we have the only generation on earth that can't tell a woman from a man because of what is being shoved down their throats under the guise of an education...

They didn't include ME! Racist bastards!

princesymbol.png

What the hell are you talking about? I'm from Boston. I've been to Maine a million times.
Oh, Boston.

That explains SO much.

I hear Maine has lifted the quarantine on folks from so far from reality. So why the reluctance to try expressing Bar Harborese? Oh, wait, never got beyond Ogunquit? Yeah, I can see why the "GUN" in that name would send a liberal scurrying back the land of the bean and cod.

Though since Jakey Wirth's and Durgin Park folded there ain't much left to go back to.

Oh, Boston.

That explains SO much.

I hear Maine has lifted the quarantine on folks from so far from reality. So why the reluctance to try expressing Bar Harborese? Oh, wait, never got beyond Ogunquit? Yeah, I can see why the "GUN" in that name would send a liberal scurrying back the land of the bean and cod.

Though since Jakey Wirth's and Durgin Park folded there ain't much left to go back to.
You are trying too hard, or have been drinking too much, or both.

AND I'm a linguist with extensive training and experience with accents, among many other things.

Go sleep it off.

You are trying too hard, or have been drinking too much, or both.

AND I'm a linguist with extensive training and experience with accents, among many other things.

Go sleep it off.
Delusions of so much.

Someone in the family must be ever so proud.

OK, I'll concede you may be a cunninglinguist but, hey' everybody needs a hobby!

I'm glad, though, that Bar Harbor hasn't been exposed to whatever that might be from which you suffer so greatly.

My children were honor students. Smarter than anything you could possibly produce. They don't hide behind John Wayne.
America's children can't write. They don't teach them how any more. They can't read our own constitution unless someone prints it out for them. They are being taught how to prance during story hour however. No wonder you approve...

The situation of American families, neighborhood and society do not end at the classroom door. When you have kindergartners come to school for the first time who are barely potty trained, have never learned anything like proper table manners for snack time, have never been made to share or listen to adult directions--you cannot start right away teaching them to read and work math problems. You just cannot. Most of Kindergarten is now taken up with teaching basic social skills they need just to be in school.

So now they are already a year behind in reading and writing and math. And whose fault is that really? Is that the teacher's fault? the one who was not responsible for teaching the child basic social skills up to age 5?

It's just too simplistic to blame all this stuff on "the schools". Look around at our culture. Really?

Forum List

Back