Security Slip Up Let Shahzad on Plane

boedicca

Uppity Water Nymph from the Land of Funk
Gold Supporting Member
Feb 12, 2007
The No Fly list didn't work:

From the AP:

The Obama administration played down the fact that Shahzad, a U.S. citizen born in Pakistan, had made it aboard the plane. Homeland Security Secretary Janet Napolitano wouldn't talk about it, other than to say Customs officials prevented the plane from taking off. White House spokesman Robert Gibbs said the security system has fallback procedures in place for times like this, and they worked.

And Attorney General Eric Holder said he "was never in any fear that we were in danger of losing him."

But it seemed clear the airline either never saw or ignored key information that would kept Shahzad off the plane, a fact that dampened what was otherwise hailed as a fast, successful law enforcement operation.

The no-fly list is supposed to mean just that. And Shahzad's name was added to the list early Monday afternoon as a result of breaking developments in the investigation, according to a law enforcement official, speaking on condition of anonymity to discuss an ongoing investigation.

But when Emirates sold the ticket, it was working off an outdated list. Airline officials would have had to check a Web forum where updates are sent if it were to flag him. Because they didn't, law enforcement officials were not aware of his travel plans until they received the passenger list 30 minutes before takeoff, the official said.

By that time, passengers are usually on board.

Gibbs blamed the airline but emphasized a more positive bottom line: U.S. authorities did get Shahzad on the no-fly list and he never took off.

Security slip let suspect on plane, near takeoff - Yahoo! News

Note how the Obama Administration is blaming the airline (consistent with their record of never taking responsibility for anything). Given the urgency of this situation, one cannot help but wondering why they didn't exert a bit more effort to notify airlines of updated information. Timing is everything. With all the staffing available at the federal level, they couldn't contact the airlines at surrounding airports?

Unbelievable.

This is one story you won't see in the MSM.

I heard about it on the MSM this morning...and having heard it, corrected several posters who were ranting about him being on the No Fly list for a very long time.

To the Rightwingnuts who gave up 5 catastrophic attacks in 2001........"almost" is the same as "he did it"

He "almost" set off a bomb....that is the same as "he did set off a bomb"

He "almost" got away....that is the same as "he did get away"

RW - the only reason why hundreds of people were not killed on Saturday is because Shahzad was incompetent (something he has in common with our president).

It's not something in which any rational person would take comfort.

RW - the only reason why hundreds of people were not killed on Saturday is because Shahzad was incompetent (something he has in common with our president).

The 9/11 terrorists were incompetent too....but then, they got away with it.

And your point is?

They were incompetent? Their mission was a success, unfortunately.

If you equate dying as getting away with it then you're right. :cuckoo:

I heard about it on the MSM this morning...and having heard it, corrected several posters who were ranting about him being on the No Fly list for a very long time.

Fact is Shahzad was placed on the no-fly list and he should never have been allowed to board the plane. Pardon me for not believing you about hearing it on MSM, your credibility is less than desirable.

Fact is Shahzad was placed on the no-fly list and he should never have been allowed to board the plane. Pardon me for not believing you about hearing it on MSM, your credibility is less than desirable.

Driving to work...on KFI, the largest talk radio station in Southern California...and the No Fly on him came out only hours beforehand. If you care to look at some of my posts earlier today, you will notice I have been correcting people based on what I learned on MSM early this morning.

And as to you not believing me...I will cry in my pillow every nite.

Considering the severity of the situation, it is very lax to just rely on computer systems to update the airlines. Why didn't they go into proactive mode and actually call airlines? They had One Specific Person to locate. Anyone with a shred of common sense would have picked up the phone and contacted a Real Live Person at each airline. It wouldn't have taken that long, considering the personnel levels of the Feds.

I just returned from Germany a couple weeks ago from visiting my son (in the Army). I flew out of Nuremberg and when i was checking in my bags the woman explained to me that my name was on the no-fly list so it was going to take a little longer....security had to call the US to verify my birthday and other information to prove i wasn't the one! I'm 56 yrs old, 5'1" tall white female with no record...they had no problem holding me up for a short time (which was ok with me...i want to fly safe!). But they didn't check out a person that "looks" middle eastern, pay cash for a quick ticket back to the middle east??? hmmm....

Driving to work...on KFI, the largest talk radio station in Southern California...and the No Fly on him came out only hours beforehand. If you care to look at some of my posts earlier today, you will notice I have been correcting people based on what I learned on MSM early this morning.

And as to you not believing me...I will cry in my pillow every nite.

Fact is Shahzad was placed on the no-fly list and he should never have been allowed to board the plane.

which incompetent boob in Clinton's administration allowed them to learn to fly 747's but not to land them? how damn dumb can ya get..

which incompetent boob in Clinton's administration allowed them to learn to fly 747's but not to land them? how damn dumb can ya get..

I know....for over 9 months....how stupid can they get......?

This guy had to build a bomb at home and drive it to NYC. Pretty much a failure on all levels. The 911 guys had to learn to fly a jumbo jet and fly it into biuldings. Comparing the two events is painfully retarded.

I just returned from Germany a couple weeks ago from visiting my son (in the Army). I flew out of Nuremberg and when i was checking in my bags the woman explained to me that my name was on the no-fly list so it was going to take a little longer....security had to call the US to verify my birthday and other information to prove i wasn't the one! I'm 56 yrs old, 5'1" tall white female with no record...they had no problem holding me up for a short time (which was ok with me...i want to fly safe!). But they didn't check out a person that "looks" middle eastern, pay cash for a quick ticket back to the middle east??? hmmm....

Yeah, Emirites Airline....and now they've admitted they didn't update their list enough beforehand.

How do I know this? MSM.

This guy had to build a bomb at home and drive it to NYC. Pretty much a failure on all levels. The 911 guys had to learn to fly a jumbo jet and fly it into biuldings. Comparing the two events is painfully retarded.

All kinds of people learn how to fly planes and only want to learn how to take off and not to land. Happens all the time. And no one let the authorities know. No one at all.

All kinds of people learn how to fly planes and only want to learn how to take off and not to land. Happens all the time. And no one let the authorities know. No one at all.

Deflection all you got? Flying a jumbo jet takes no more skill than driving a car? Cool I have a driver's license. Want to ride in a plane with me? I promise to try and land at the airport.

Forum List

Back