Secret panel can put Americans on "kill list'

Lakhota

Diamond Member
Jul 14, 2011
Native America
By Mark Hosenball

(Reuters) - American militants like Anwar al-Awlaki are placed on a kill or capture list by a secretive panel of senior government officials, which then informs the president of its decisions, according to officials.

There is no public record of the operations or decisions of the panel, which is a subset of the White House's National Security Council, several current and former officials said. Neither is there any law establishing its existence or setting out the rules by which it is supposed to operate.

The panel was behind the decision to add Awlaki, a U.S.-born militant preacher with alleged al Qaeda connections, to the target list. He was killed by a CIA drone strike in Yemen late last month.

More: Secret panel can put Americans on kill list' | Reuters

By Mark Hosenball

(Reuters) - American militants like Anwar al-Awlaki are placed on a kill or capture list by a secretive panel of senior government officials, which then informs the president of its decisions, according to officials.

There is no public record of the operations or decisions of the panel, which is a subset of the White House's National Security Council, several current and former officials said. Neither is there any law establishing its existence or setting out the rules by which it is supposed to operate.

The panel was behind the decision to add Awlaki, a U.S.-born militant preacher with alleged al Qaeda connections, to the target list. He was killed by a CIA drone strike in Yemen late last month.

Finally Lahkota:: Something legitimate for the BOTH of us to worry about..
Congrats on finding a REAL concern...

You can bet that Breitbart, WorldNutDaily, Fox News, etc. will revive their Obama martial law conspiracy to cancel 2012 elections.

This story WAS the headliner on HuffPost - but now it's not even on their front page. However, the Reuters link in the OP is still good.

By Mark Hosenball

Exactly what several of us have been saying for days in these two threads: http://www.usmessageboard.com/law-and-justice-system/187580-due-process-for-noncitizens-but-not-for-citizens-10.html#post4237938 and http://www.usmessageboard.com/general/187406-assassinating-american-citizens-for-or-against.html.

It's unconstitutional on its face.

Am I duplicating any previous threads regarding this particular Reuters story?
No, not at all. At least, I don't think so.

I provided the links so that you can also see what others are saying about it, as well, if you already haven't.

I know you and I usually disagree on almost everything but it tickles me pink and restores some of my lost faith in the integrity of folks beyond partisanship that, irrespective of political position, we can both recognize wrong as wrong.

:thup:

I once thought I had a reasonable grasp as to who was in control of government - but since 9/11 I no longer have a clue.

I once thought I had a reasonable grasp as to who was in control of government - but since 9/11 I no longer have a clue.

I can tell you who's NOT in control.. Every Congress for 20 years has skipped the hard stuff like oversight and management and pandered to the crisis du jour. They stopped writing legislation and started passing "empty frameworks" to be filled in latter by the bureaucracy.. I don't think they know what their job is anymore. Or perhaps, they've given up on trying to train and control the behemoth..

Don't you think you should get an answer to your question BEFORE you expect this collection of clowns to be in charge of MORE of our lives?

We don't need to go back to the anti-intelligience agency days where it was worth election points to say nasty things about the CIA. But we DO need to assert that 9-11 didn't turn the National Security Advisor into a Supreme Commander..

I can tell you who's NOT in control.. Every Congress for 20 years has skipped the hard stuff like oversight and management and pandered to the crisis du jour. They stopped writing legislation and started passing "empty frameworks" to be filled in latter by the bureaucracy.. I don't think they know what their job is anymore. Or perhaps, they've given up on trying to train and control the behemoth..

Don't you think you should get an answer to your question BEFORE you expect this collection of clowns to be in charge of MORE of our lives?

We don't need to go back to the anti-intelligience agency days where it was worth election points to say nasty things about the CIA. But we DO need to assert that 9-11 didn't turn the National Security Advisor into a Supreme Commander..
Abso-fucking-lutely!

[emphasis added]

By Mark Hosenball

Finally Lahkota:: Something legitimate for the BOTH of us to worry about..
Congrats on finding a REAL concern...

I agree. Sad that Bush and Obama have created this.

This President is venturing into some very dangerous territory. It is pretty disturbing. The U.S. Government killing fellow American Citizens should be disturbing to all Americans. Where will this take us? I'm very nervous about this.

That's lovely. How do you stay off of it? There's probably about 340 million names on there right now.

If every Muslim that ever says anything positive about Al Queada or threatening to the security of the USA makes it to that list -- We're gonna need more drones than Louisiana has m'skeeters..

The vast majority of US Muslims do not like what the extremist are doing. In fact, most would happily help kill them. They have broken most of what the Qu'ran stands for.

so the president puts folks on a secret American citizen kill list?...wow, that fucking bush......oh. wait, ..:rolleyes:...you can see the outcry in the media.....:lol:

Forum List

Back