Seattle's SPECIAL Special Teams....

HUGGY

I Post Because I Care
Mar 24, 2009
Seattle at large...Ballard lately
In the trinity that is football ....Offence , Defense and Special teams...

Seattle has by a huge margin the most special ...Special Teams in the NFL.

One may ask how a team with an offense that has been described as "mediocre" by some can be the best team in the NFL..

Look at these numbers.. Field position is one of the keys to winning. Special Teams is how any team gets consistant good field position..

Taken from Seahawks.com

Four players are primarily responsible for Seattle's league leading Special Teams.

"Jon Ryan
19: Punt-return yards given up, 10 of which came in Week 1 against the Carolina Panthers. That number ranks No. 1 in the League, and by a wide margin. St. Louis Rams punter Johnny Hekker ranks second with 81 punt-return yards surrendered.

Jeremy Lane
24: Fair catches on Ryan's punts. Lane has played fast and physical as the "gunner" during Ryan's punts, allowing him to get down field and in position to make the tackle of any would-be returner. His team-leading 11 coverage tackles have also played a large role in Ryan's miniscule 19 punt return yards.

Steven Hauschka
130: Points, which leads the NFC and ranks second in the NFL. Hauschka has connected on 30 of his 31 kicks (T-2nd NFL) with his only miss coming by way of a blocked attempt against the Colts. His 96.8 percent success rate ranks tied for first in the League.

Golden Tate
540: Yards on punt returns, second-most in the NFL. His 11.7-yard punt return average ranks 4th in the NFC. Two of Tate's returns have played a critical role in two separate wins. His 32-yard return in overtime against the Texans in Week 4 helped set up Hauschka's game-winning field goal and his career-long 71-yard bring back in Week 9 sparked a field goal during the team's franchise-record 21-point comeback win over the Buccaneers."

#HawksMailbag - December 17: What makes Seahawks special teams so special?

Never mind. Lane practiced today and he will play Sunday. My concern for Special Teams and the Seahawk secondary has vanished as well as the Cardinals smallest hopes for winning in the Clink.

Forum List

Back