Scrooge Question

Road Runner

Take Back America In 2024 Vote Trump!
Jun 16, 2021
USA
I was just watching A Christmas Carol The Musical last night and a few questions just came into my mind. Why did Scrooge not like his nephew at first? Was it because he reminded him of his sister and he missed her? Or was it because he blamed him for her death since she died in childbirth, or both?

I was just watching A Christmas Carol The Musical last night and a few questions just came into my mind. Why did Scrooge not like his nephew at first? Was it because he reminded him of his sister and he missed her? Or was it because he blamed him for her death since she died in childbirth, or both?
The latter.

Wasn't Jesse L. Martin just totally gay in that production? I never wanted to see it again, after the first time.

Scrooge didn't like anyone, and thought the only reason people tried to be nice to him was because they wanted his money...

(a) What is a "counting house"? [answer below]

(2) Why doesn't Scrooge have any domestic help? A cook or something at least.

(iii) Was Mrs. Cratchit thrilled to have an un-cleaned forty pound turkey delivered to her house on Christmas Day...presumably for consumption that evening?

(a) Ebby was a commodities trader.

(a) What is a "counting house"? [answer below]

(2) Why doesn't Scrooge have any domestic help? A cook or something at least.

(iii) Was Mrs. Cratchit thrilled to have an un-cleaned forty pound turkey delivered to her house on Christmas Day...presumably for consumption that evening?

(a) Ebby was a commodities trader.
He did have a charwoman (housekeeper) and Mrs. Dilber, a laundress. I wonder if one of them did double duty as a cook. Or maybe he just dined out a lot.

I wondered about that turkey too.

The latter.

Wasn't Jesse L. Martin just totally gay in that production? I never wanted to see it again, after the first time.

I don't know? I don't research everyone's sexuality preferences whenever I watch a movie.

Read the book.

I actually did a long time ago in middle school or high school, but that was so long ago I don't remember that too much.

Scrooge is for the time period. Most of the world had no social services at all unless by religious ways. Britain did have an early social system. Watching Scrooge when I was a child in the 1960's is different than as an adult and later. I saw the people asking him for donations as good and honorable and just back then. But somehow with the same story the men who asked for donations from scrooge when he refused as I got older were stealing a percentage of it for themselves before they gave it to those who needed it due to being a bit jaded and cynical in our society.

A rich man was visited in his office by representatives of a local charity.

The men said to him, "We know you're a rich man. Your business makes millions each year. You can afford to give to our charity".

The rich man replied, "When you were checking on me, you failed to notice that my mother has been ailing for several years and her medical expenses are ruinously large. My sister was left a destitute widow of six young children when he husband died, leaving her penniless".

"So", he answered them, "If I don't give them A PENNY ... why should I give you any?".

Forum List

Back