SCOTUS Rules 8 - 1 Against Puerto Rico Free Stuff

An Den? An What? They are citizens of an unincorporated territory. As such, they are not qualified for statehood at this point. The population is aging and their industrial or economic base has never been very productive. They have or had 54 billion in debt and filed for bankruptcy a couple of years ago, the largest state to do that so far. They had nearly another 50 billion in unfunded obligations because like all Democrat/Leftist controlled governments, they govern based on giving citizens goodies in return for votes.

I have no animosity toward Puerto Ricans. The few I've met were fine folks. BUT, when a country has fewer than 3 million residents and half of them are dependent on government assistance to simply survive, tossing more cash at them isn't the answer. It's a black hole and until structural changes in their government are accomplished, private investment there is never going to improve and investment is the real key to helping that nation.

Oddly enough, the case that led to this current SCOTUS ruling is a situation where I'd side with the plaintiff. He was a U.S. citizen, living in the U.S. then moved back to PR. I don't understand why that should cause him to lose his SSI.

PR is not a nation, they haven't been independent for more than 500 years.

For that matter, I cant find where the Constitution gives the fed gov authority to redistribute wealth anywhere. Much less in a damn territory.

Most being the key term.

Kavanaugh noted that Puerto Rico residents are mostly exempt from federal income, estate and excise taxes, among others. They do pay other federal taxes, such as Social Security, Medicare and unemployment taxes, and they are eligible for the benefits programs that those taxes fund.

“But just as not every federal tax extends to residents of Puerto Rico, so too not every federal benefits program extends to residents of Puerto Rico,” Kavanaugh wrote.

Forum List

Back