Scientists look to place a pro-science president

Stephanie

Diamond Member
Jul 11, 2004
: :rolleyes:
Frustrated by their government's position on the environment, climate change and stem cell research, a group of US scientists have decided to take matters into their own hands and actively promote the election of a president in 2008 who is more receptive to science.

Scientists and Engineers for America plunged into politics last week with the aim of campaigning for particular candidates, starting with the 2006 mid-term elections. SEA says that "scientists and engineers have a right, indeed an obligation, to enter the political debate when the nation's leaders systematically ignore scientific evidence and analysis."

SEA's main targets will be the Bush administration and the Republican leadership, says executive director Mike Brown. "[They] are the source of a lot of the problems we've identified."

So far, the pitch has struck a responsive chord. Within days of the group being announced on27 September, nearly 2500 people had signed up as members. SEA's advisory board includes two of Bill Clinton's former science advisers - John Gibbons and Neal Lane - and eight Nobel laureates.http://www.newscientist.com/article/mg19225722.800-scientists-look-to-place-a-proscience-president.html

I fail to see how 2500 folks signing up as members can be construed as a "responsive chord" unless they are listening to the reverberations in their hollow heads!

Right---you say that until thier research makes them enormously rich. Then you accuse them of being rich fat cats who screw people over by charging for thier product or service

Uuuummmmm...........no! What a weird conclusion to come to. I'm more interested having a scientist in the top job than a conservative born again Christian...and I'm sure the likes of someone like Darin would like it the other way around. Different folks, different strokes and all...

Uuuummmmm...........no! What a weird conclusion to come to. I'm more interested having a scientist in the top job than a conservative born again Christian...and I'm sure the likes of someone like Darin would like it the other way around. Different folks, different strokes and all...

ahhhhh anti-Christian again. I should have known

I'm curious---are you able to see the bigotry in what you jsut said or is that still a blind spot?

ahhhhh anti-Christian again. I should have known

I'm curious---are you able to see the bigotry in what you jsut said or is that still a blind spot?

I'm anti any religion being in politics. How would you feel about a Muslim being president? Make you happy? And if you would rather have a Christian in the WH than a scientist, does that make you anti science? See how vacuous and silly your point is?

I'm anti any religion being in politics. How would you feel about a Muslim being president? Make you happy? And if you would rather have a Christian in the WH than a scientist, does that make you anti science? See how vacuous and silly your point is?

still a blind spot---gotcha !

Nevermind Science dissagrees on all of those issues.

:bong420:

Anyway I hope it happens regardless of the ( ) in front of their name on the ballot.

The US has really been getting its ass kicked in the science/math department for awhile now.

If Muslim extremists werent waging a war on our nation and he has principled values Id have no problem voting for a Muslim as President.

And you make the baseless conclusion that being Christian is anti-science. Quite the opposite. It is the Christian world that is responsible for the advances in scientific endevours.

Of course not---I can admit to my bigotry---you, however, will not !

Get the difference NOW maybe ? nevermind--too much of a strain for ya.

Not a strain at all. I don't mind if a Christian or a Muslim is president, as long as they keep their religion to themself. You can't say the same. If I had a choice, I'd prefer a non-religious scientist type in charge. I bet under ANY circumstances you wouldn't want a Muslim. Get the difference NOW. Maybe too much of a strain for ya...:tinfoil:

It is the Christian world that is responsible for the advances in scientific endevours.

Not necessarily the Christian world. I'd say the Western world, which has more Christians in it. Back in the day, Arabia was the cradle of scientific endevour. Unfortunately Islam has stuffed that up good and proper...

Not a strain at all. I don't mind if a Christian or a Muslim is president, as long as they keep their religion to themself. You can't say the same. If I had a choice, I'd prefer a non-religious scientist type in charge. I bet under ANY circumstances you wouldn't want a Muslim. Get the difference NOW. Maybe too much of a strain for ya...:tinfoil:

:lame2: go find the other half of you brain:sleepy1:

Forum List

Back