science proves what ever cat owners knows!

strollingbones

Diamond Member
Sep 19, 2008
chicken farm
Scientists observed 20 domesticated cats in their homes for eight months to monitor how the animals recognized and responded to different voices - both strangers' voices and the cats' owners - calling out the cats' names.

The study found that 50 percent to 70 percent of the cats turned their heads at the sound and 30 percent moved their ears - typical reactions to hearing any sound.

Just 10 percent of the felines responded to being called by meowing or moving their tails.

In other words, your cat hears you when you call - he just doesn't care enough to acknowledge it.

Scientists Discover that Yes, Your Cat is Ignoring You | Pets - Yahoo Shine

But mix the concept of food into the sound and get ready to be trampled.

I don't have to say a word. All I gotta do is snap the can tab. She comes running, eats a bite, walks away.

This cat owns the human;

tumblr_m73pzekFWi1rb7zxko1_500.jpg

Our two cats certainly are different. The boy cat is an integral part of my daughters bedtime routine. He will nibble her toe until she gets upstairs for bed, then he lays on top of her head to go to sleep. It's pretty hilarious!

my males are friendlier than the one female.....yoda will run to you like a dog....clark could care less unless he wants something...then he follows you and sings to you....

What the hell difference does it make?

The cat is not going to come anyway

What the hell difference does it make?

The cat is not going to come anyway

A cat is the perfect asshole. Now no one can hit me on this because my Pyewacket made it to 21 and when he died a lot of me did too.

Damn I loved him. Just an old orange and white. Travelled with me to Tennessee out of Toronto and in a back of a van to Manitoba.

I've loved my dogs in my time. But Pyewacket rocked. 21 plus years with me. I miss him so.

Cats rock too.

Scientists observed 20 domesticated cats in their homes for eight months to monitor how the animals recognized and responded to different voices - both strangers' voices and the cats' owners - calling out the cats' names.

The study found that 50 percent to 70 percent of the cats turned their heads at the sound and 30 percent moved their ears - typical reactions to hearing any sound.

Just 10 percent of the felines responded to being called by meowing or moving their tails.

In other words, your cat hears you when you call - he just doesn't care enough to acknowledge it.

What kills me? We already knew it. I don't own them. They own me. I understand this. The only reason they tolerate me is that they haven't figured out how to pop the top on the friskie can.

I don't give a shit what you cat owners say, cats are not smarter than dogs.

I can come home and call the cat's name and I get ignored. When my wife gets home and calls his name, he meows and comes out of hiding. Oh yes, he hears me and ignores me. :cool:

But mix the concept of food into the sound and get ready to be trampled.

I stone them out They love me. We gotta talk.......................I actually do grow catnip. Not anywhere in my back yard. Hell no.

Its a weed. But you can buy sprays .

Johnnys Best seed company ever. Germination rate to die for. You can die for this catnip seed.

I don't give a shit what you cat owners say, cats are not smarter than dogs.

Ginger or MaryAnne?

I've never considered myself an owner so you have to wipe that right off the page, I've lived with so many beasties. I consider myself a cohaibitator on the planet with these guys.

Last edited:

Yep. Some cats just decide to pretend to be deaf.

There is an old joke....

What do you call a dog with no legs? It doesn't matter, he won't come anyway

Same applies to cats

Why Don't Cats Come When You Call? They Have Selective Hearing | TIME.com

---
---

I don't think its a matter of either cats or dogs being smarter than the other. They're just different. The biggest difference is that cats are true predators/carnivores. Dogs are omnivores. Many of their behavioral differences can be accounted for by that.

We currently have two cats - Little Miss Brodie who we found after she was thrown from a car on a bridge. They surely meant to throw her over into the water but she hit the concrete abutment instead. She was only about 5-6 weeks when we found her. Because of abuse, Brodie is shy and withdrawn. Most of her sleeping time is under the covers of the bed.

The Great Catsby is purebred Maine coon who we adopted when a kitten mill was shut down. He's never known even one moment of fear or hunger. That plus the Maine coon personality means he's fearless and just assumes everyone loves him.

He does actually come when he's called. He can be in a room where I want to close the door and if I ask him to come, he usually will. Or, just across the room. Not always, but usually.

I think its fascinating that cats self-domesticated. They decided to join us, not the other way around and our relationship with them reflects that.

Forum List

Back