Science isn’t always the answer.

Mello711

May 5, 2020
I believe that humans are too arrogant in thinking that they can determine our true origins by using science. We make our hypotheses based on “laws of nature” that we assume have to be true. I believe that The secrets of the universe are far too advanced for the human mind to comprehend. We as a species need to humble ourselves and realize that we are not in charge of anything, and that god determines all.

Just 100 years go, things we use every day were too advanced for us to comprehend. That changed. It isn't about being in charge. It's about finding out what works and how that can help us. That has led to the cures to countless diseases, and tools we use every day that would make someone from just 100 years ago think it was magic. We can already grow more than enough food to keep everyone on the planet well fed, and some day science will teach us how to distribute it, thereby ending hunger and famine forever. Believe in all the Gods you want, but we need science as much now as we ever have.

Just 100 years go, things we use every day were too advanced for us to comprehend. That changed. It isn't about being in charge. It's about finding out what works and how that can help us. That has led to the cures to countless diseases, and tools we use every day that would make someone from just 100 years ago think it was magic. We can already grow more than enough food to keep everyone on the planet well fed, and some day science will teach us how to distribute it, thereby ending hunger and famine forever. Believe in all the Gods you want, but we need science as much now as we ever have.
Definitely true. Hopefully this happens sooner rather than later

I believe that humans are too arrogant in thinking that they can determine our true origins by using science. We make our hypotheses based on “laws of nature” that we assume have to be true. I believe that The secrets of the universe are far too advanced for the human mind to comprehend. We as a species need to humble ourselves and realize that we are not in charge of anything, and that god determines all.
Arrogance is convincing yourself that you have The Answer, in either direction.

No one knows. If you want to have faith that it's one of the 2,500 or so gods that humans have maintained over the millennia, great, cool, run with that.

Some of us admit we just don't know, that it's likely we won't know during our lifetime, and we accept that and move on to things over which we have more control.

Meanwhile, it's fun and interesting and stimulating, watching science try to figure stuff out, and learn as it goes.

Science is as far as I know the only reliable tool we have to figure out the answer to questions we have. So yes science is always the answer. Not because it has all the answers but simply because it's the only tool we have to actually get answers that have any hope of being correct.

Saying a god snapped his fingers and created everything is the most simplistic of all explanations.

I agree that humans may be incapable of understanding the origins of the universe because we are physically bound by the limits of the human mind much like a dog can never comprehend calculus because of the limitations of the canine brain but I don't feel the need to say that any gods were involved in the creation of the universe

Wow. A discussion about God with people of different views that is respectful an interesting! How wonderful. There are birds singing outside. Think I’ll go for a walk. Have a good day, everyone! : )

I totally agree with everything there except the god part

Well that's good to know. I will contact the scientists and tell them they can all go home, now.

As Isaac Newton realized, truth is determined both from science and the Bible. Newton wrote more on his Biblical research than on his scientific research.

The Bible teaching on quarantine is an example. The Jews did not realize the invisible enemies that quarantine protected them from. Science has helped us determine that - and that is why we actually see the invisible danger threatening us all right now. Further showing how science and the Bible go hand in hand is this Proverb those of my faith are applying right now:

Proverbs 22:3
The shrewd one sees the danger and conceals himself,
But the inexperienced keep right on going and suffer the consequences.*

Remember also Jesus' direction for us to love our neighbor. Failing to apply the advice from the medical profession to social distance ourselves can cause sickness and death not only to ourselves and our loved ones, but also the people too close to us (literally).

This fails as an appeal to ignorance fallacy.

That science has yet to determine the origins of the universe doesn’t mean ‘god’ is the ‘answer.’

We as a species need to humble ourselves and realize that we are not in charge of anything, and that god determines all.
an individuals spirit is theirs alone.
even in their book of forgeries the above is refuted by the acts of adam and eve - the desert version as a sin - where for true enlightenment by their choice the Almighty gave them their freedom, to fend for themselves.

On one hand you're saying the scientific study of the universe is arrogant because it's all "too much for our tiny human minds to absorb" (paraphrasing), then on the other hand you say something arrogant like this;

"We need to realize that God determines all."

We can't stop asking questions because people like you claim all the answers are in a magic book written by barefoot peasants 2500 years ago.

You want to be religious and save the world, preach about ending wars and getting rid of our mega-arsenal of nuclear weapons.

Last edited:
Actually science never assumes anything is true. That's what science and the scientific method are all about.

Science is as far as I know the only reliable tool we have to figure out the answer to questions we have. So yes science is always the answer. Not because it has all the answers but simply because it's the only tool we have to actually get answers that have any hope of being correct.
Well said.

This fails as an appeal to ignorance fallacy.

That science has yet to determine the origins of the universe doesn’t mean ‘god’ is the ‘answer.’

However, science has determined much about the origin of the universe - here is another example of how the Bible and science go hand in hand:

Job 38:33
Do you know the laws governing the heavens,+
Or can you impose their* authority on the earth?

When Moses wrote the book of Job (c. 1513 BCE) no human even knew there were such laws. Thankfully, science has discovered many of those laws. One reason they have discovered those laws is that they do have authority on the earth so earthling scientists can study them.

For example, the law of conservation of matter and energy embodied in the formula E-Mc^2. This law puts to an end the mythical teachings about our universe coming from nothing - since that would violate E=Mc^2. In fact, we can calculate how much energy was involved in creating the mass of 10^79 amu (atomic mass units) estimated by Eddington years ago.

Btw - some still have blind faith that the universe came from nothing! Believe it or not, some believe the laws of our universe did not come from a lawgiver!

Yet thread title is correct in that while science does tell us many details about the laws and properties of our universe, science does not tell who did this or how this was done. But science can tell us what was done!

Of course scientific technology could prove to be
a mixed blessing.
Tumblr-Nuclearexplosion.gif

Actually science never assumes anything is true. That's what science and the scientific method are all about.

Ideally true. However, some scientists assume the universe had no cause despite the many observations of cause and effect. Simply - while science is a source of truth, as is the Bible, interpretations or accurate observations and Scriptures are sometimes interpreted the wrong way. One way to overcome this problem is realizing truth cannot contradict itself.

In short, all Scriptures on any subject, and all scientific observations on any subject, must be interpreted in harmony to determine truth.

Sadly, some assume this is not possible. Thankfully in most cases this is possible.

New Topics

Forum List

Back