Science IQ Test

ChemEngineer

Diamond Member
Feb 5, 2019
Estimate only please. Give it your best guess.

How many ounces of steam at 100 degrees Celsius will heat up one pound of gold at 0 degrees Celsius, just condensing all the steam so that both equilibrate at 100 degrees Celsius? (Perfectly insulated container at constant pressure of one atmosphere.)

How many pounds of gold at 200 degrees Celsius (392 Fahrenheit) would it take to melt just one pound of ice at (0 Celsius) 32 degrees Fahrenheit and heat it to steam at 212 degrees Fahrenheit?

(Perfectly insulated container at constant pressure of one atmosphere.)

The answers are incredible and speak to the properties of water as so brilliantly designed by Nature's God, as He is called in our Declaration of Independence, written by Christian men of wisdom and integrity.

Last edited:
I cannot possibly think of any questions more boring than that. How are we supposed to even conceptualize the difference between 2 ounces of steam and 200 ounces of steam? Its such an incredibly meaningless discussion. :laugh:

Science is an AMAZING field of study. Surely you can find something more entertaining than this.

I cannot possibly think of any questions more boring than that. How are we supposed to even conceptualize the difference between 2 ounces of steam and 200 ounces of steam? Its such an incredibly meaningless discussion. :laugh:

Science is an AMAZING field of study. Surely you can find something more entertaining than this.

Shit rolls downhill ...

Alas, good Friend, yours is the only answer I see. My Ignore List is strong.
What are the guesses so far?
I’ve seen “42” which I assume is a joke based on the Hitchhiker’s Guide book.

I didn’t venture an answer because I wasn’t prepared for class this semester.

Why should this semester be any different?

Come-again GIFs - Get the best GIF on GIPHY

How many ounces of steam at 100 degrees Celsius will heat up one pound of gold at 0 degrees Celsius, just condensing all the steam so that both equilibrate at 100 degrees Celsius? (Perfectly insulated container at constant pressure of one atmosphere.)

How many pounds of gold at 200 degrees Celsius (392 Fahrenheit) would it take to melt just one pound of ice at (0 Celsius) 32 degrees Fahrenheit and heat it to steam at 212 degrees Fahrenheit?

The answers are incredible and speak to the properties of water as so brilliantly designed by Nature's God, as He is called in our Declaration of Independence, written by Christian men of wisdom and integrity.

Why the need for such dishonesty?

Many of the those who contributed to the DoI were Deists, not Christian. Others were non-religious.

Why the need for such dishonesty?

Many of the those who contributed to the DoI were Deists, not Christian. Others were non-religious.

Only Jefferson. But he was still well-versed in the Bible and even read the Quran.

Only Jefferson. But he was still well-versed in the Bible and even read the Quran.
You never heard of Thomas Paine? Thomas Paine, of whom it was said, "Without Paine's pen, Washington's sword would never have been wielded", was a thorough-going Deist who's "Age of Reason" deconstructed the bible completely..

0.091 ounces of steam

.0752 of an ounce of steam will heat up a pound of gold to 100 degrees C.

28,352 pounds of gold are required to melt the one pound of ice and heat it to steam.

0.091 ounces of steam
That was no guess.

On another unpleasant subject:

Hateful Hollie has once again stalked me in my original thread, as always, sniffing my underwear as she loves to do.
I never even see her opening posts much less read them, but like the cult of satan, she stalks and spews venom
wherever she ventures.

That was no guess.

Hateful Hollie has once again stalked me in my original thread, as always, sniffing my underwear as she loves to do.
I never even see her opening posts much less read them, but like the cult of satan, she stalks and spews venom
wherever she ventures.

Where did I go wrong?

That was no guess.

wherever she ventures.

The "angry religionist" thing is so cute.

Do you find it strange that you claim to have me on ignore yet you can't help but refer to me in so many of your frantic tirades?

You invite me to respond and throw these petulant hissy fits when I do. Why are you desperate for my attention.

.0752 of an ounce of steam will heat up a pound of gold to 100 degrees C.

28,352 pounds of gold are required to melt the one pound of ice and heat it to steam.
Nice try….but WRONG

The correct answer is 42

1669753185620.png

Where did I go wrong?

Toddsterpatriot

The answer is 0.5079 ounces of ice.

Water has a heat capacity of 4.18 J/g C degree

Gold has a heat capacity of 0.129 J/g C degree

The heat of fusion of water is 80 times the heat capacity of water, so one gram of gold will cool down 100 degrees C with the loss of 12.9 Joules. Ice will melt absorbing 4.18 J x 80 per gram or 334.4 J without changing temperature!

The ratio of 12.9 to 334.4 or .038576 will apply to any respective quantity of grams of gold cooling from100 C and ice just melting without even changing temperature. But a troy pound of gold is 373.24 grams, which at 100 C requires 4,814.796 joules to be absorbed.

4,814.796 J divided by 334.4 J/g = 14.398 g of ice

14.398g/ 453.59 g/pound = .031743 pound

.031743 pound of ice at 0 to cool it. .031743 times 16 ounces is 0.5079 ounces of ice.

453.59 g per avoirdupois pound

373.24 g per troy pound

Forum List

Back