Schwarzenegger: Turn Off Spanish TV

red states rule

May 30, 2006
This is common sense - if you want to make it in American - learn English

SAN JOSE, Calif. (AP) -- Gov. Arnold Schwarzenegger told a gathering of Hispanic journalists that immigrants should avoid Spanish-language media if they want to learn English quickly.

"You've got to turn off the Spanish television set" and avoid Spanish-language television, books and newspapers, the Republican governor said Wednesday night at the annual convention of the National Association of Hispanic Journalists.

"You're just forced to speak English, and that just makes you learn the language faster," Schwarzenegger said.

"I know this sounds odd and this is the politically incorrect thing to say, and I'm going to get myself in trouble," he said, noting that he rarely spoke German and was forced to learn English when he emigrated from Austria.

Schwarzenegger was responding to a question about how Hispanic students can improve academically. Many journalists for Spanish-language organizations in the audience were surprised by the remarks.

http://hosted.ap.org/dynamic/storie...TION?SITE=SCAND&SECTION=HOME&TEMPLATE=DEFAULT

This is common sense - if you want to make it in American - learn English

SAN JOSE, Calif. (AP) -- Gov. Arnold Schwarzenegger told a gathering of Hispanic journalists that immigrants should avoid Spanish-language media if they want to learn English quickly.

"You've got to turn off the Spanish television set" and avoid Spanish-language television, books and newspapers, the Republican governor said Wednesday night at the annual convention of the National Association of Hispanic Journalists.

"You're just forced to speak English, and that just makes you learn the language faster," Schwarzenegger said.

"I know this sounds odd and this is the politically incorrect thing to say, and I'm going to get myself in trouble," he said, noting that he rarely spoke German and was forced to learn English when he emigrated from Austria.

Schwarzenegger was responding to a question about how Hispanic students can improve academically. Many journalists for Spanish-language organizations in the audience were surprised by the remarks.

http://hosted.ap.org/dynamic/storie...TION?SITE=SCAND&SECTION=HOME&TEMPLATE=DEFAULT

Wow. Even I agree completely with this position. If you want to learn English more quickly, listen to English shows and read English books - not Spanish shows and not Spanish books.

What I found funny was that in the criticism of his point, which was in order to learn English faster you immerse yourself in English, they said he was ignorant of immigration issues.... um... as far as I understand it, Austria is not part of the US and therefore he faced those issues firsthand...

What I found funny was that in the criticism of his point, which was in order to learn English faster you immerse yourself in English, they said he was ignorant of immigration issues.... um... as far as I understand it, Austria is not part of the US and therefore he faced those issues firsthand...
Exactly. Best way to learn another language is through immersion. I tried to better my German when I went to Germany, Austria, and Switzerland, but they insisted on speaking English to me. :(

We all need to speak the same language in order to communicate. It is not racist. It is common sense.

If you can't adapt to the culture of the US, then get out. If they think the U.S. should become "Mexico" to appease immigrants then just stay in Mexico.

RSR: As I've heard someone say: don't like how Mexico is, then actually work to change it.

Then the people of Mexico should make the changes

I do not have a problem with people wanting to come to the greatest country on Earth - I only want them to follow the law and do it the right way

Forum List

Back