Schumur: Feds Buy $18M in Grapes To Prop Up NY Growers

Spare_change

Gold Member
Jun 27, 2011
(CNSNews.com) - Senate Minority Leader Chuck Schumer (D.-N.Y.) and Sen. Kirsten Gillibrand (D.-N.Y.) announced yesterday that the federal government will spend up to $18,000,000 to buy Concord grape juice in an effort to increase the price that New York farmers can get for their grapes.

In a letter to Agricultural Secretary Sonny Perdue urging him to have the government buy the grape juice, Sen. Schumer noted that there are “more than 280 growers with over 9,700 acres” of Concord grape vineyards in New York State.

“I write to encourage the United States Department of Agriculture’s (USDA) Agriculture Marketing Service (AMS) to utilize its statutory authority under Section 32 of the Agriculture Act of 1935 to conduct a bonus buy purchase of Concord grape juice as soon as possible,” Schumer wrote Perdue. “This critical bonus buy would help ensure the continued success of Concord grape growers in New York and nationwide, while also helping to supplement the USDA’s supply for nutrition programs.

Yeah! School kids are going to be force-fed grape juice. Grape juice has more sugar than soda, but it does have some some near-magical nutrients. I won't touch the stuff until that sugar has been fermented into God's gift of alcohol.

Will those farmers learn anything other than the government will bail them out?

Yeah! School kids are going to be force-fed grape juice. Grape juice has more sugar than soda, but it does have some some near-magical nutrients. I won't touch the stuff until that sugar has been fermented into God's gift of alcohol.

Will those farmers learn anything other than the government will bail them out?

good point------I do not have distillery experience (beyond chemistry 101) ----but it seems to
me that large quantities of subsidized grape juice could be very helpful to the eastern European
moiety of the population of the State of New York. Grape sugar seems to me to be better than
corn syrup for kids

New Topics

Forum List

Back