Schumer Brags After Blocking GOP School Safety Bill In Senate

excalibur

Diamond Member
Mar 19, 2015
Schumer is a complete disgrace, a miserable person who is stain on the Senate.

On Thursday the New York senator blocked the Luke and Alex School Safety Act after Republican Wisconsin Sen. Ron Johnson asked for it to be passed by unanimous consent, Fox News reported.
The bill, named after Parkland, Florida, shooting victims Luke Hoyer and Alex Schachter, would require the Department of Homeland Security to establish a “Federal Clearinghouse on School Safety Best Practices” for use by state and local educational and law-enforcement agencies, institutions of higher education, health professionals, and the public. And it would require DHS to “collect clearinghouse data analytics, user feedback on the implementation of best practices and recommendations identified by the clearinghouse, and any evaluations conducted on these best practices and recommendations.”
The clearinghouse, which is already available at SchoolSafety.gov, would be codified into law with the bill’s passage.
Schumer objected to Johnson’s request, claiming on Twitter that the bill “could see more guns in schools.”
“GOP Sen. Johnson just tried for a bill that could see more guns in schools—I blocked it. The truth: There were officers at the school in Texas. The shooter got past them. We need real solutions—We will vote on gun legislation starting with the Domestic Terrorism Prevention Act,” he said on Twitter.
”Not surprising that the Democrat leader would lie about the bill he blocked that parents of Parkland victims have been trying to pass for years. Dems aren’t looking for solutions, they want wedge issues that they hope will keep them in power. Sick,” Sen. Johnson said on Twitter.

He is one of the worst....

1653706518299.png

Schumer is a complete disgrace, a miserable person who is stain on the Senate.

On Thursday the New York senator blocked the Luke and Alex School Safety Act after Republican Wisconsin Sen. Ron Johnson asked for it to be passed by unanimous consent, Fox News reported.
The bill, named after Parkland, Florida, shooting victims Luke Hoyer and Alex Schachter, would require the Department of Homeland Security to establish a “Federal Clearinghouse on School Safety Best Practices” for use by state and local educational and law-enforcement agencies, institutions of higher education, health professionals, and the public. And it would require DHS to “collect clearinghouse data analytics, user feedback on the implementation of best practices and recommendations identified by the clearinghouse, and any evaluations conducted on these best practices and recommendations.”
The clearinghouse, which is already available at SchoolSafety.gov, would be codified into law with the bill’s passage.
Schumer objected to Johnson’s request, claiming on Twitter that the bill “could see more guns in schools.”
“GOP Sen. Johnson just tried for a bill that could see more guns in schools—I blocked it. The truth: There were officers at the school in Texas. The shooter got past them. We need real solutions—We will vote on gun legislation starting with the Domestic Terrorism Prevention Act,” he said on Twitter.
”Not surprising that the Democrat leader would lie about the bill he blocked that parents of Parkland victims have been trying to pass for years. Dems aren’t looking for solutions, they want wedge issues that they hope will keep them in power. Sick,” Sen. Johnson said on Twitter.

He and Pelosi are what is totally wrong with this country. Dumb America is starting to see what a third of us with 5 brain cells have seen for yrs.corrupt slime

If it takes more guns, held by very responsible people , to keep our children more safe, then why would Schummer object? He has his personal protection as does his work place. Tell him to tell those who protect him and his other Dem friends to throw their guns away. that will be the day....never.

Schumer said because of that bill we could see more guns in schools. My question to the Left is, "how is that so"?

Johnson said the democrats aren't looking for solutions, they're looking for wedge issues to try to win elections. I think he's right.

Schumer said because of that bill we could see more guns in schools. My question to the Left is, "how is that so"?

Johnson said the democrats aren't looking for solutions, they're looking for wedge issues to try to win elections. I think he's right.

Again, this should not be Political. I understand why he blocked it. The GOP refused to include Universal Background Checks (among other things) and anyone (including a convicted violent felon) can purchase weapons without even showing an ID. I would bounce it as well.

Again, this should not be Political. I understand why he blocked it. The GOP refused to include Universal Background Checks (among other things) and anyone (including a convicted violent felon) can purchase weapons without even showing an ID. I would bounce it as well.

You are a liar. It's now against the law for felons (people who were convicted of a crime punishable by imprisonment for more than one year) to purchase a firearm and the proposed law would not change that.

Which does not explain why the bill's passage could in any way increase the number of guns in schools. Schumer flatout lied about that.

You're right, it shouldn't be political but Schumer made it political. I understand it too, he didn't want to give the repubs a win even though it was a bipartisan bill that might've improved security in some schools across the country.

I got no problem with UBCs, but you can't purchase weapon without showing ID unless it's a private transaction that wouldn't be affected anyway.

That School Safety Act was a good idea. It would've been a good thing for Congress and the country to get something bipartisan done.

You are a liar. It's now against the law for felons (people who were convicted of a crime punishable by imprisonment for more than one year) to purchase a firearm and the proposed law would not change that.

And who is going to be arresting them in that parking lot? You got a cop in your hip pocket? Texas is in bad need of Universal Background Checks and then the cops can bust anyone selling guns on street corners. Otherwise, it's not illegal for them to sell those guns. Just do the Universal Background Checks and treat all the other sales as criminal activity like we do here.

Blow it out your ass. You wacko antigun nuts killed that argument years ago. It's all about politics with you shitheads 🖕 God damn it you lying sack of shit YOU HAVE YO PRODUCE A GOD DAMN PHOTO ID TO BUY A MOTHER FUCKING GUN🖕🖕🖕🖕🖕🖕🖕🖕🖕

Which does not explain why the bill's passage could in any way increase the number of guns in schools. Schumer flatout lied about that.

No, he didn't lie. He just knee jerked a response.

You're right, it shouldn't be political but Schumer made it political. I understand it too, he didn't want to give the repubs a win even though it was a bipartisan bill that might've improved security in some schools across the country.

The Repubs tried to introduce a database that already exists for guidelines on school safety in the form of a law. We don't need that. If a school decides to use that DB then more power to them but we should not introduce a law that forces them. Again, I would bounce it for that reason as well.

I got no problem with UBCs, but you can't purchase weapon without showing ID unless it's a private transaction that wouldn't be affected anyway.

Universal Checks also cover private sales and transactions. If you want to sell or transfer your weapon to your buddy, you have to go find a FFL dealer who will run that background check for you. We have a 7 buck charge levied for that. If it doesn't include private transactions it isn't much of a Universal Background Check not is it.

Now you are going to counter that criminals will ignore this. It's been 9 years since the UBC was started here and us Citizens just automatically comply with it. It's no big thing. Not much any of us can do about two criminals exchanging firearms.

That School Safety Act was a good idea. It would've been a good thing for Congress and the country to get something bipartisan done.

Say goodnight, Gracy. You really need to learn manners.

And who is going to be arresting them in that parking lot? You got a cop in your hip pocket? Texas is in bad need of Universal Background Checks and then the cops can bust anyone selling guns on street corners. Otherwise, it's not illegal for them to sell those guns. Just do the Universal Background Checks and treat all the other sales as criminal activity like we do here.
You are so emotionally fucked you cannot think through the problem. You want Universal background checks but ask hunarcy "who is going to check those parking lot sales? Do you have a cop in your back Pocket?" Do you know what universal background checks are?
No, he didn't lie. He just knee jerked a response.

The Repubs tried to introduce a database that already exists for guidelines on school safety in the form of a law. We don't need that. If a school decides to use that DB then more power to them but we should not introduce a law that forces them. Again, I would bounce it for that reason as well.

Universal Checks also cover private sales and transactions. If you want to sell or transfer your weapon to your buddy, you have to go find a FFL dealer who will run that background check for you. We have a 7 buck charge levied for that. If it doesn't include private transactions it isn't much of a Universal Background Check not is it.

Now you are going to counter that criminals will ignore this. It's been 9 years since the UBC was started here and us Citizens just automatically comply with it. It's no big thing. Not much any of us can do about two criminals exchanging firearms.
Criminals do background checks?

Coddling together Bills as they are needed is what we have failed to do in common sense legislation. Republicans may have had a good Bill that would have shown us the faults in our system that we may have caused from previous legislation and rulings from extremist judges. Of course, the large Bills with money in them like the 1.2 trillion Dollar Reconstruction Bill is an example that doles out resources to pork and payouts to groups of why we are in this trouble.

Luke and Alex School Safety Act of 2019

This bill requires the Department of Homeland Security (DHS) to establish a Federal Clearinghouse on School Safety Best Practices for use by state and local educational and law-enforcement agencies, institutions of higher education, health professionals, and the public.

DHS shall, among other things

• collect clearinghouse data analytics, user feedback on the implementation of best practices and recommendations identified by the clearinghouse, and any evaluations conducted on these best practices and recommendations; and
  • coordinate with the Department of Education, the Department of Health and Human Services, and the Department of Justice to assess and identify best practices and recommendations and establish an advisory board to provide feedback and propose additional recommendations.
The bill specifies the criteria for best practices and recommendations of the clearinghouse, including evidence that the best practice or recommendation has had a significant effect on improving the health, safety, and welfare of persons in school settings.

WTF?
A bill to get ideas from?

It's a joke.
So is Johnson, doing something without actually DOING anything.

Identify best practices?
An advisory board?

May as well send kids home with their schools newsletter.

Luke and Alex School Safety Act of 2019

This bill requires the Department of Homeland Security (DHS) to establish a Federal Clearinghouse on School Safety Best Practices for use by state and local educational and law-enforcement agencies, institutions of higher education, health professionals, and the public.

DHS shall, among other things

• collect clearinghouse data analytics, user feedback on the implementation of best practices and recommendations identified by the clearinghouse, and any evaluations conducted on these best practices and recommendations; and
  • coordinate with the Department of Education, the Department of Health and Human Services, and the Department of Justice to assess and identify best practices and recommendations and establish an advisory board to provide feedback and propose additional recommendations.
The bill specifies the criteria for best practices and recommendations of the clearinghouse, including evidence that the best practice or recommendation has had a significant effect on improving the health, safety, and welfare of persons in school settings.

WTF?
A bill to get ideas from?

It's a joke.
So is Johnson, doing something without actually DOING anything.

Identify best practices?
An advisory board?

May as well send kids home with their schools newsletter.
So you're saying that it's a bad thing for agencies to communicate with each other and find out what works? Remember back before homeland security behere each agency did not communicate with other agencies? You want to go back to those days?

So you're saying that it's a bad thing for agencies to communicate with each other and find out what works? Remember back before homeland security behere each agency did not communicate with other agencies? You want to go back to those days?
That bill won't do a damned thing.

" Establish a Federal Clearinghouse on School Safety Best Practices for use by state and local educational and law-enforcement agencies, institutions of higher education, health professionals, and the public".

Too many hands making the soup.
Too many opinions on what is "best".
SEVEN people aren't going to agree on something, let alone an entire agency or institution or the public.

Forum List

Back