Schmidt angry to see 'cowards' speech in TV ad

Psychoblues

Nov 30, 2003
North Missisippi
She blasted a decorated Marine Colonel as a cut and runner. Now she blasts her opposition as being in violation of house ethics rules that the opposition is not yet to be a member of . I suspect the opposition will soon fall under those rules and the blaster will soon be maybe a fry cook at one of her local McDonald restaurants. As Forrest Gump might say, Stupid is as Stupid does. God give me the wisdom to accept the things I cannot change.

“Rep. Jean Schmidt blasted Democrat Victoria Wulsin on Wednesday for allegedly breaking a U.S. House rule that prohibits using the broadcast of House floor proceedings in campaign ads.

"Her continued violation will land her in serious trouble with the House Ethics Committee," Schmidt's spokesman Matt Perin said in a release, referring to the House Committee on Standards of Official Conduct, which the release mistakenly referred to elsewhere as the "House Committee on Official Standards and Conduct."

Besides those errors, there's just one more tiny problem: Wulsin, who is challenging Schmidt in the 2nd District, is not a member of the House. Not yet anyway.”

more:

http://news.enquirer.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20061026/NEWS01/610260378/1056/COL02

This is getting really tacky but interesting. Is this the best that the self described party of morals and values can produce? If you don't mind, I'll mind my own business.

Psychoblues

She blasted a decorated Marine Colonel as a cut and runner. Now she blasts her opposition as being in violation of house ethics rules that the opposition is not yet to be a member of . I suspect the opposition will soon fall under those rules and the blaster will soon be maybe a fry cook at one of her local McDonald restaurants. As Forrest Gump might say, Stupid is as Stupid does. God give me the wisdom to accept the things I cannot change.

“Rep. Jean Schmidt blasted Democrat Victoria Wulsin on Wednesday for allegedly breaking a U.S. House rule that prohibits using the broadcast of House floor proceedings in campaign ads.

"Her continued violation will land her in serious trouble with the House Ethics Committee," Schmidt's spokesman Matt Perin said in a release, referring to the House Committee on Standards of Official Conduct, which the release mistakenly referred to elsewhere as the "House Committee on Official Standards and Conduct."

Besides those errors, there's just one more tiny problem: Wulsin, who is challenging Schmidt in the 2nd District, is not a member of the House. Not yet anyway.”

more:

http://news.enquirer.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20061026/NEWS01/610260378/1056/COL02

This is getting really tacky but interesting. Is this the best that the self described party of morals and values can produce? If you don't mind, I'll mind my own business.

Psychoblues

Jean Schmidt's attack on John Murtha has been the only thing of note during her tenure as Representative from Ohio's 2nd Congressional district. Unless you count her fashion choice for that little piece of political kabuki. She looked as if she'd been attacked by a 4th of July napkin set.

But, her little outburst is a matter of public record. Any angst she might feel about its impact on her political campaign is irrelevant. She's currently tied with her democratic challenger, this in a district that has been a GOP stronghold for decades. So she may likely go down in flames. No great loss either to America or to politics.

RULE V: BROADCASTING THE HOUSE

1. The Speaker shall administer a system subject to his direction and control for closed-circuit viewing of floor proceedings of the House in the offices of all Members, Delegates, the Resident Commissioner, and committees and in such other places in the Capitol and the House Office Buildings as he considers appropriate. Such system may include other telecommunications functions as the Speaker considers appropriate. Any such telecommunications shall be subject to rules and regulations issued by the Speaker.

2. (a) The Speaker shall administer a system subject to his direction and control for complete and unedited audio and visual broadcasting and recording of the proceedings of the House. The Speaker shall provide for the distribution of such broadcasts and recordings to news media, for the storage of audio and video recordings of the proceedings, and for the closed-captioning of the proceedings for hearingimpaired persons.

(b) All television and radio broadcasting stations, networks, services, and systems (including cable systems) that are accredited to the House Radio and Television Correspondents’ Galleries, and all radio and television correspondents who are so accredited, shall be provided access to the live coverage of the House.

(c) Coverage made available under this clause, including any recording thereof— (1) may not be used for any political purpose; (2) may not be used in any commercial advertisement; and (3) may not be broadcast with commercial sponsorship except as part of a bona fide news program or public affairs documentary program.

3. The Speaker may delegate any of his responsibilities under this rule to such legislative entity as he considers appropriate.​

The bold text is what is at question here. Personally, I don't think it applies here because the original broadcast was within the confines of this rule. Any re-broadcasts would not have needed to abide the House Rule because once broadcast, the content would be public domain as I understand it.

The rule seems to be aimed more at preventing sitting House members from using floor footage for any manner of personal gain.

RULE V: BROADCASTING THE HOUSE

1. The Speaker shall administer a system subject to his direction and control for closed-circuit viewing of floor proceedings of the House in the offices of all Members, Delegates, the Resident Commissioner, and committees and in such other places in the Capitol and the House Office Buildings as he considers appropriate. Such system may include other telecommunications functions as the Speaker considers appropriate. Any such telecommunications shall be subject to rules and regulations issued by the Speaker.

2. (a) The Speaker shall administer a system subject to his direction and control for complete and unedited audio and visual broadcasting and recording of the proceedings of the House. The Speaker shall provide for the distribution of such broadcasts and recordings to news media, for the storage of audio and video recordings of the proceedings, and for the closed-captioning of the proceedings for hearingimpaired persons.

(b) All television and radio broadcasting stations, networks, services, and systems (including cable systems) that are accredited to the House Radio and Television Correspondents’ Galleries, and all radio and television correspondents who are so accredited, shall be provided access to the live coverage of the House.

(c) Coverage made available under this clause, including any recording thereof— (1) may not be used for any political purpose; (2) may not be used in any commercial advertisement; and (3) may not be broadcast with commercial sponsorship except as part of a bona fide news program or public affairs documentary program.

3. The Speaker may delegate any of his responsibilities under this rule to such legislative entity as he considers appropriate.​

The bold text is what is at question here. Personally, I don't think it applies here because the original broadcast was within the confines of this rule. Any re-broadcasts would not have needed to abide the House Rule because once broadcast, the content would be public domain as I understand it.

The rule seems to be aimed more at preventing sitting House members from using floor footage for any manner of personal gain.

I'll buy that. Uhhhh,,,,,can you speak with Jean about this?

Psychoblues

Forum List

Back