Save Earth: Attack Christmas

Robert Urbanek

Platinum Member
Nov 9, 2019
Vacaville, CA
The Earth would be a lot cleaner place if we eliminated gift-giving on Christmas.

Household waste increases by 25 percent between Thanksgiving and New Year’s Day: an extra one million tons a week in US landfills, much of it merchandise boxes, gift wrapping and discarded Xmas trees.

Nearly 60 percent of Americans receive unwanted gifts during the holidays, of which $90 billion worth are returned. And half of that winds up in landfills because it is often cheaper for a retailer to trash an item than resell it. That’s a lot of energy and resources totally wasted.

And, of course, there are the millions of gallons of gas consumed by people shopping for gifts.

One way to alleviate the problem is to buy people gift cards that are redeemable at “big box” stores so people can use the cards to buy essentials like groceries and take their time to buy what they really want or need.

Or, as a culture, we could celebrate Christmas more like Thanksgiving and reserve gift giving for birthdays.

The Earth would be a lot cleaner place if we eliminated gift-giving on Christmas.

Household waste increases by 25 percent between Thanksgiving and New Year’s Day: an extra one million tons a week in US landfills, much of it merchandise boxes, gift wrapping and discarded Xmas trees.

Nearly 60 percent of Americans receive unwanted gifts during the holidays, of which $90 billion worth are returned. And half of that winds up in landfills because it is often cheaper for a retailer to trash an item than resell it. That’s a lot of energy and resources totally wasted.

And, of course, there are the millions of gallons of gas consumed by people shopping for gifts.

One way to alleviate the problem is to buy people gift cards that are redeemable at “big box” stores so people can use the cards to buy essentials like groceries and take their time to buy what they really want or need.

Or, as a culture, we could celebrate Christmas more like Thanksgiving and reserve gift giving for birthdays.
I think someone's getting a lump of coal for Christmas......... :eusa_whistle:

Okay, what's on your mind for Easter? The incredible waste on dye and egs, landfill full of toy grass and Easter Bunny candy boxes and the money spent on Easter Clothes?

Yeah - all good points Robert. When I receive an unwanted gift - I RE-gift it thus eliminating half my shopping the following year for birthdays and Christmas presents. If we all re-gifted more, half the problem could be greatly reduced.

I neighbor of mine had a Christmas party last year that was very clever. All the best neighbors were told to bring an anonymous gift with a maximum cost of $25. The packages were numbered and everyone picked a number out of a hat and one by one opened gifts. Toward the end of the evening (after much spiked punch) people were trading crap they didn't want or need for something they did.

It was fun, everyone left happy and walked home. Half my shopping was eliminated, and I'll bet half the gifts (including mine) were re-gifts from the previous year. The other half was ordered from Amazon Prime (lots of gift cards redeemable online) eliminating the need for trips to the mall.

1342129715454_6159927.png

Meh.

Or we could reuse and recycle things better.

New Topics

Forum List

Back