Saudi 'will step in if US quits Iraq'

ekrem

Silver Member
Aug 9, 2005

WASHINGTON: Saudi Arabia will launch a "massive" intervention to help Iraq's minority Sunnis against Iran-backed Shi'ite attacks if the US pulls its troops out, a senior Saudi government adviser said yesterday.Writing in the Washington Post newspaper, security expert Nawaf Obaid said the withdrawal of US forces from Iraq could result in King Abdullah opening the gates to provide Iraq's Sunnis with funds, arms and logistical support.

Obaid, a scholar at the Centre for Strategic and International Studies in Washington and a security and energy adviser to the Saudi ambassador to the US, said King Abdullah has fended off "intense" pressure to provide financial and arms support for Iraq's Sunnis from Sunni leaders inside Saudi Arabia and around the Middle East.

Also pushing the monarch, he said, are "a new generation of Saudi royals in strategic government positions who are eager to see the kingdom play a more muscular role in the region".

But Obaid said that King Abdullah pledged to US President George W Bush that he would not intervene, despite the rise in bloody sectarian reprisal killings. However, that would change if the US begins pulling its troops out, Obaid warned.

Obaid's article, which he said reflected his own views and not the Saudi government's, came just days after US Vice-President Dick Cheney visited Riyadh.

http://www.gulf-daily-news.com/Story.asp?Article=163195&Sn=WORL&IssueID=29255

So everyone waiting the USA to leave.
The strongest in the region will make its interests succeed.

WASHINGTON: Saudi Arabia will launch a "massive" intervention to help Iraq's minority Sunnis against Iran-backed Shi'ite attacks if the US pulls its troops out, a senior Saudi government adviser said yesterday.Writing in the Washington Post newspaper, security expert Nawaf Obaid said the withdrawal of US forces from Iraq could result in King Abdullah opening the gates to provide Iraq's Sunnis with funds, arms and logistical support.

Obaid, a scholar at the Centre for Strategic and International Studies in Washington and a security and energy adviser to the Saudi ambassador to the US, said King Abdullah has fended off "intense" pressure to provide financial and arms support for Iraq's Sunnis from Sunni leaders inside Saudi Arabia and around the Middle East.

Also pushing the monarch, he said, are "a new generation of Saudi royals in strategic government positions who are eager to see the kingdom play a more muscular role in the region".

But Obaid said that King Abdullah pledged to US President George W Bush that he would not intervene, despite the rise in bloody sectarian reprisal killings. However, that would change if the US begins pulling its troops out, Obaid warned.

Obaid's article, which he said reflected his own views and not the Saudi government's, came just days after US Vice-President Dick Cheney visited Riyadh.

http://www.gulf-daily-news.com/Story.asp?Article=163195&Sn=WORL&IssueID=29255

So everyone waiting the USA to leave.
The strongest in the region will make its interests succeed.

All out war between Saudi Arabia and Iran? That is intriguing...even to a liberal like myself.

So basically, if we pull out there wont be a civil war, it will be a regional, if not a world war.

So basically, if we pull out there wont be a civil war, it will be a regional, if not a world war.

More evidence that the "cut and runners" have not considered future consequences in the region or the rest of the world. They think we live in some kind of vacuum and cannot even see the larger implications.

About time the regional folks set-up. Damn, how many trillions have we given Saudi in equipment, training, blah, blah over 30 + years? For what, for them to sit on their ass why we foot the bill? BS!

I say let them deal with it. It’s time, and they will if they have to.

Saudi denies may interfere in Iraq to back Sunnis
Sat Dec 2, 2006 11:54 PM IST

RIYADH (Reuters) - Saudi Arabia said there was no truth in an article by a Saudi security adviser suggesting the world's top oil exporter would back Iraq's Muslim Sunnis in the event of a wider sectarian conflict.

Nawaf Obaid, a security adviser to the Saudi government, said on Wednesday the kingdom would intervene with funding and weaponry to prevent Shi'ite militias attacking Iraq's Sunnis once the United States begins pulling out of Iraq.

He also suggested Saudi Arabia could bring down world oil prices to squeeze Shi'ite power Iran, which Saudi Arabia and other Sunni Arab countries accuse of meddling in Iraq.

"There is no basis in truth to the article by the writer Nawaf Obaid in the Washington Post of Nov. 29, 2006," the state Saudi Press Agency quoted an "official source" as saying
http://in.today.reuters.com/news/ne...R_RTRJONC_0_India-278704-2.xml&archived=False

The grand plan of Mohamed? The religion of peace? Not only do they desire to wipe all Jews off the planet, but themselves as well. Nice religion.:bow3:

Shame they couldn't do a more closer to home study on the impact of killing a race off, before working on the joo's! That would rock to know a nuke melt down just melted Iran or Syria for starters.....I'm sick yes but really I'm sick of the humane crap and touchy feely things the west acts like, we are equally as cruel we've just put measures in place to prevent us from being complete jackasses all the time, yet it is ok for the typical muzi in the name of jihad:ali:

Shame they couldn't do a more closer to home study on the impact of killing a race off, before working on the joo's! That would rock to know a nuke melt down just melted Iran or Syria for starters.....I'm sick yes but really I'm sick of the humane crap and touchy feely things the west acts like, we are equally as cruel we've just put measures in place to prevent us from being complete jackasses all the time, yet it is ok for the typical muzi in the name of jihad:ali:

That would be great for them to spend so much time building a nuke, only to have it go off in their faces!:dev3:

You just can't trust the Saudis or any Middle Eastern country for matters such as these.The Middle East is the most unpredictable place n the world.In 1993 , USA was using Saudi Arabia as its base to bomb Saddam's army and to stop him from conquering Kuwait. Saddam just ran away from Kuwait burning oil wells and destroying settlements.

And Saudi never like Saddam's Iraq and now they don't fancy Mahmoud's Iran either. So , the Saudis might just declare war on iran and fire a few of their Chinese missiles into Teheran if Iran continues to behave like this.

I think we have to call Riyadh's bluff this time.

Akshay

Is that a call the rest of the middle east can handle. Look at the UAE, they are pretty much rick puppets over there I know I spent many years in Abu Dhabi and with out the US or some world power they ain't doing much.

You just can't trust the Saudis or any Middle Eastern country for matters such as these.The Middle East is the most unpredictable place n the world.In 1993 , USA was using Saudi Arabia as its base to bomb Saddam's army and to stop him from conquering Kuwait. Saddam just ran away from Kuwait burning oil wells and destroying settlements.

And Saudi never like Saddam's Iraq and now they don't fancy Mahmoud's Iran either. So , the Saudis might just declare war on iran and fire a few of their Chinese missiles into Teheran if Iran continues to behave like this.

I think we have to call Riyadh's bluff this time.

Akshay

All the Saudis care about is stability and the money that it brings. They are completley dependent on the US and its allies as none of them does any work- they rely on us to pump the oil, run the plants, and cook their food. They don't give a damn about us otherwise. But they are not going to instigate any war with Iran, because they know that if we leave, they will be overun by those "lower class" arabs.

All the Saudis care about is stability and the money that it brings. They are completley dependent on the US and its allies as none of them does any work- they rely on us to pump the oil, run the plants, and cook their food. They don't give a damn about us otherwise. But they are not going to instigate any war with Iran, because they know that if we leave, they will be overun by those "lower class" arabs.

Yes I'd agree on that part alone the saudi's are very much about self and keeping a quality of life the way it is.

Forum List

Back