Saudi Arabia’s Fatal Mistake

Tom Paine 1949

Diamond Member
Mar 15, 2020
An interesting article on the decline of Saudi power, the oil crisis exacerbated by SA’s price war with Russia, and even the miscalculation of the White House “Middle East advisor” Jared Kushner. As I have said before, Russia will survive this war. The Saudi Crown Prince may not. War in the Persian Gulf is also now a likely outcome, for reasons I have also explained elsewhere.

“The misrule, blunders and war associated with [Saudi Arabia's Crown Prince Mohammed bin Salman — MBS] will only continue.... The full repertoire of the crown prince's statecraft was on display in a stormy telephone call he made to Russian President Vladimir Putin on the eve of an Opec meeting last month which ended in a calamitous price war between Saudi Arabia and Russia.

“Mohammed bin Salman can see for himself just how big a mistake that call was. The price of oil has collapsed, storage will rapidly run out, and oil companies face the real prospect of having to cap wells. The oil and gas sector accounts for ... 70% of its export earnings. This has just disappeared...

“MBS is finding out now how weak his cards are. To be fair, before he made that call, he took advice from someone as arrogant and unthinking as he is. US President Donald Trump's son-in-law and Middle East advisor Jared Kushner listened to what the Saudi crown prince was about to do and did not object.

“This explains why Trump's first reaction was to welcome the oil crash. Trump thought for every cent cut from the price of oil, a billion dollars of consumer spending power would be released at home. That was until his attention turned to what the oil price collapse was doing to his own oil industry....

“Mohammed bin Salman is about to find out what happens when the world does not need his oil ...”

Saudi Arabia: What happens when the oil stops

SA is still sitting pretty for the long haul as their proven reserves cannot be matched. So they can wait it out. Russia with the virus hurting the Russian economy needs the money. The cost of producing oil is very low for SA as compared to the US and Russia. So they can lower the price and wait it out.

An interesting article on the decline of Saudi power, the oil crisis exacerbated by SA’s price war with Russia, and even the miscalculation of the White House “Middle East advisor” Jared Kushner. As I have said before, Russia will survive this war. The Saudi Crown Prince may not. War in the Persian Gulf is also now a likely outcome, for reasons I have also explained elsewhere.

“The misrule, blunders and war associated with [Saudi Arabia's Crown Prince Mohammed bin Salman — MBS] will only continue.... The full repertoire of the crown prince's statecraft was on display in a stormy telephone call he made to Russian President Vladimir Putin on the eve of an Opec meeting last month which ended in a calamitous price war between Saudi Arabia and Russia.

“Mohammed bin Salman can see for himself just how big a mistake that call was. The price of oil has collapsed, storage will rapidly run out, and oil companies face the real prospect of having to cap wells. The oil and gas sector accounts for ... 70% of its export earnings. This has just disappeared...

“MBS is finding out now how weak his cards are. To be fair, before he made that call, he took advice from someone as arrogant and unthinking as he is. US President Donald Trump's son-in-law and Middle East advisor Jared Kushner listened to what the Saudi crown prince was about to do and did not object.

“This explains why Trump's first reaction was to welcome the oil crash. Trump thought for every cent cut from the price of oil, a billion dollars of consumer spending power would be released at home. That was until his attention turned to what the oil price collapse was doing to his own oil industry....

“Mohammed bin Salman is about to find out what happens when the world does not need his oil ...”

The Saudis will never regain control of the market as long as americans are fracking ...even if they're sidelined ....once prices go above 50 60 bucks they jump right Back in ...its been over for the Saudis

Russia gonna suffer hard and indeed the Saudis royals may not survive thier own shenanigans

I notice how the writer reveals his trump TDS in a story about saudi arabia and russia

The article is not primarily about Jared Kushner, or Donald Trump, but rather about the collapse of Saudi Arabian power, its arrogant and self-destructive policies, and (in my opinion) the much-to-be-desired approaching fall of the pathological butcher who runs that country. Are you a supporter of the Royal Saudi dictatorship of Mohammed bin Salman?

9/11?

The oil and gas sector accounts for ... 70% of its export earnings.

And 50% of Russia's.

When the Japanese attacked the American naval base at Pearl Harbor it took us less that 5 years to kick their ass. Lets do the math here: 9/11 attack was sponsored by Saudi Arabia . But instead, we attacked Iraq because it had "WMDs" that NOTHING to DO with anything...because...Excuse ME? Why? Poor witto Saudis...gas prices are plunging...

I notice how the writer reveals his trump TDS in a story about saudi arabia and russia

The article is not primarily about Jared Kushner, or Donald Trump, but rather about the collapse of Saudi Arabian power, its arrogant and self-destructive policies, and (in my opinion) the much-to-be-desired approaching fall of the pathological butcher who runs that country. Are you a supporter of the Royal Saudi dictatorship of Mohammed bin Salman?

I am not a supporter of MBS because of the Jamal Khashoggi matter which I personally believe that he gave it his blessing but the execution of it was flawed.

Still he survived it. and most of those poor fools who did the deed are probably dead or in jail.
Yes if the the kingdom was to start loosing money and prestige in the oil game he could be replaced with one of his relatives.

But it is a long shot as it is a monarchy and it will depend upon if anyone else wants to challenge him.
Still there is a high probability he will ride it out as he was the chosen one to be the King. It is a family affair and in the end they do not want to look to bad with in-house squabbling.

I am a supporter of any ally in the region who opposes iran - an even more brutal and dangerous dictatorship

Are you for the irans and against trump?

• Funny
Reactions: cnm
I am a supporter of any ally in the region who opposes iran - an even more brutal and dangerous dictatorship
After all, it was Iranians who carried out the most brutal terrorist attack on American soil in history.
I get your attempted irony

Without allowing you to bog us down with trivial ancient history, libs went out of their way at the time to avoid blaming all muslims

so dont reverse course and try to blame all saudi’s now

• Funny
Reactions: cnm
i love the commonly used Saudi expression "tal omrak", which means "may god prolong your life"...it is used often, especially by the elites or folks in the media

When the Japanese attacked the American naval base at Pearl Harbor it took us less that 5 years to kick their ass. Lets do the math here: 9/11 attack was sponsored by Saudi Arabia . But instead, we attacked Iraq because it had "WMDs" that NOTHING to DO with anything...because...Excuse ME? Why? Poor witto Saudis...gas prices are plunging...

We attacked Iraq because they attacked Kuwait and the Saudis; we had defense treaty agreements with both countries; unlike most countries, the U.S. was famous then for always honoring its treaties. Obama changed all that, but it was still true when Bush I was in office.

Saudi is still a wild card; I keep expecting to wake up every morning and seeing the new 'Reform' Prince's head being paraded around on a pike outside his palace, but so far he's still there, and in charge of a truly massive and largely hidden sovereign wealth fund the most people seem to be completely oblivious to. True the oil reserves are declining fast, the easy oil rapidly being used up and the deep stuff expensive and costly to raise, but they are going to be a force in the region for another 3 decades at least, barring a revolt of some kind or other, so writing them off is pretty premature. Whoever ends up controlling their sovereign wealth fund and huge gold reserves is going to have a lot of clout, especially with the U.S. Some claim the gold reserves alone run around 320 tonnes, and that is not counting the gold held by many individual families. And, they've been buying U.S. treasuries in big lots since last year. Not too shabby for a small country barely upward of Dark Age medieval status dependent on imports for everything, including water. The Israelis operate top notch slat water purifier plants in several countries now; the Saudis have much more to gain from an alliance with them over a bunch of gangsters running extortion rackets with fake 'refugees' for cover.

Last edited:

It's an opinion piece. The Saudis don't even like the Trumps. they do respect the US president whoever that is.

Saudi is still a wild card; I keep expecting to wake up every morning and seeing the new 'Reform' Prince's head being paraded around on a pike outside his palace, but so far he's still there, and in charge of a truly massive and largely hidden sovereign wealth fund the most people seem to be completely oblivious to. True the oil reserves are declining fast, the easy oil rapidly being used up and the deep stuff expensive and costly to raise, but they are going to be a force in the region for another 3 decades at least, barring a revolt of some kind or other, so writing them off is pretty premature. Whoever ends up controlling their sovereign wealth fund and huge gold reserves is going to have a lot of clout, especially with the U.S. Some claim the gold reserves alone run around 320 tonnes, and that is not counting the gold held by many individual families. And, they've been buying U.S. treasuries in big lots since last year. Not too shabby for a small country barely upward of Dark Age medieval status dependent on imports for everything, including water. The Israelis operate top notch slat water purifier plants in several countries now; the Saudis have much more to gain from an alliance with them over a bunch of gangsters running extortion rackets with fake 'refugees' for cover.
You are dumb as a stump. The Saudis have 50 desalination plants (not crappy reverse osmosis) since the 1960s and they have over 300 recharge dams to capture ground water.

The Saudis will never regain control of the market as long as americans are fracking ...even if they're sidelined ....once prices go above 50 60 bucks they jump right Back in ...its been over for the Saudis

Russia gonna suffer hard and indeed the Saudis royals may not survive thier own shenanigans
Saudi Arabia and Saudi ARAMCO are fine and have extremely low production emissions.

New Topics

Forum List

Back