Saturday Night Fever Reviewed: Vile portrayals, Somewhat Boring... But Guess What. Hollywood Says It's Iconic

Can you actually not grasp the difference between 'rape' & 'statutory rape'?
They are 2 entirely different crimes.
Yeah, that's why I called it statutory rape. Either one will land you in prison for quite awhile.

You're full of crap.
Yeah and I get the feeling your head would be the perfect tool for getting it out.

Cuckoo's next was an LSD addicts drugged-out hallucination, and nothing more. There was no 'deep meaning'. Kesey didn't know where the hell he was when he wrote it. It's much the same as the Beatles' "Come Together" People cite the brilliant lyrics, but they were total drug-induced gibberish. Yeah, it was a #1 song, because dumb kids listened to opinion shapers about how great it was. And it was the Beatles. Yeah, adult rape kids, but it doesn't mean it should be glamorized and pitched as a 'love story' to dumb kids. Art is no excuse to show immoral acts and glamorize them. Had I been the parents of any of these young actors, no way I would have allowed them to play that scene. It's trash.
Damn, you are about as dull and irritating as getting a migraine headache while waiting to get an impacted tooth pulled.

You need to get a life, Mush, or at least get laid. I get the feeling you've done neither yet.

It's true. In 45 years, I had never seen Saturday Night Fever. The only part I had ever seen was on TV where Tony and his Italian family are sitting at the dinner table and Tony's dad slaps the back of his head. But once again, and I say this all the time lately, I didn't know there was a theater version that was far far more explicit. Filthy language and themes, frontal nudity, gang rape scenes. Utter trash.

But the kiddies liked it for the dance scenes back in 1977. If I didn't know better, I'd guess Travolta was gay as the day is long the way he looks and struts on the dance floor. The dance scenes were boring to me. But it was indeed a time capsule. Seems like yesterday all the guys had mustaches and the women had the Toni Tennille do.

The premise: Tony and Annette (Donna Pescow) were practicing together to enter a disco dance contest. Annette has a crush on Tony. But Tony sees Stephanie dancing, and is smitten. He ditches the groveling Annette and makes a play for Stephanie as both dance partner and girlfriend.

Travolta was solid as usual. But his costar, leading lady Karen Lynn Gorney was miscast as Stephanie and her acting was poor. She couldn't decide what she was. Aloof or silly. Dominating or obsequious. Her reactions didn't fit the scenes. Travolta's Tony was supposed to be 19 and Stephanie 20. But Gorney was 32 and looked it. She was supposed to be his love interest. Instead, she looked more like his teacher, maybe even his mom.

The degrading rape scene and just general disrespectfulness shown to Annette would never fly today. Metoo Hollywood would never allow such a portrayal. Travolta is not 100% convincing as a gang tough, but he does OK.

The sexual depravity and fight scene detracted from the movie, IMHO, but of course leftwing Hollywood loved it, rating it as culturally significant and among the greatest films of all time. The more perverse in the 1970s, the better, it seems. (Think One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest, Summer of '42, and The Last Picture Show). I guess SNF did usher in the disco movement and spawned a whole slew of #1 hits, chiefly by the Bee Gees. But as a movie, I'd give it a 5 or 6 out of 10. I never really rooted for Tony. In fact, most of the time, I didn't like him at all.
Travolta and Patrick Swayze ---both GAY.

Yeah and I get the feeling your head would be the perfect tool for getting it out.

Damn, you are about as dull and irritating as getting a migraine headache while waiting to get an impacted tooth pulled.

You need to get a life, Mush, or at least get laid. I get the feeling you've done neither yet.
I've been married to a beautiful woman for 34 years, friend. And before that, I rejected more than you ever saw.
Something tells me you're not married at all. Am I right?

You're full of crap. Cuckoo's next was an LSD addicts drugged-out hallucination, and nothing more. There was no 'deep meaning' to it. Kesey didn't know where the hell he was when he wrote it. It's much the same as the Beatles' "Come Together" People cite the brilliant lyrics, but they were total drug-induced gibberish. Yeah, it was a #1 song, because dumb kids listened to opinion shapers about how great it was. And it was the Beatles.

Yeah, adult rape kids, but it doesn't mean it should be glamorized and pitched as a 'love story' to dumb kids. Art is no excuse to show immoral acts and glamorize them. Had I been the parents of any of these young actors, no way I would have allowed them to play that scene. It's trash.

Ken Kesey was a brilliant writer. Yes, he experimented with LSD. (did you know his first exposure to LSD was thru a CIA funded experiment?). But he started writing One Flew Over The Cuckoo's Nest while he was working the night shift at a VA hospital. So his insights were real and valid.

Really? That is the compassion you show a man who lost his wife?

You really are an asshole.
Maybe, if you're insulting people's sex life, implying vile things, you should consider your own situation before doing so.
And call me a name again, you go bye-bye. Understand?

Maybe, if you're insulting people's sex life, implying vile things, you should consider your own situation before doing so.
And call me a name again, you go bye-bye. Understand?

When someone tells you that their wife died of an illness, and your first comment is "Then maybe don't pop off about stuff. OK?", do you actually think you are being civil, let alone compassionate?

I have not insulted your sex life, nor have I implied vile things. In fact, you have done that to me quite often.

The only reason I don't call you a name here is because I think you would LOVE to be rid of my comments. But I enjoy being a thorn in your side and showing people the error of your ways. It entertains me.

Forum List

Back