SAT

Unkotare

Diamond Member
Aug 16, 2011
The June SAT and subject area SAT exams have been cancelled for this year, and several other changes have already been decided upon with more likely to come. In addition, a growing number of colleges have dropped any standardized testing requirements for fall 2020 applications. This is just the tip of the iceberg of changes that will come in consequence of da rona.

The June SAT and subject area SAT exams have been cancelled for this year, and several other changes have already been decided upon with more likely to come. In addition, a growing number of colleges have dropped any standardized testing requirements for fall 2020 applications. This is just the tip of the iceberg of changes that will come in consequence of da rona.

They should cancel the 2020-2021 academic year.

what is "da rona"

what is "da rona"

His baby mommas got three kids...DaQuinton, DaShaun and DaRona.

what is "da rona"

what is "da rona"

Joe Biden has called it the "cona"

It is ironic that this phenomenon rears its ugly head at a time in Education History when there are massive forces fighting the power of the SAT/ACT, mainly because it don't have no respect for "diversity and/or inclusion."

To those who denigrate its value, and claim that a written test is not a valid measure of educational accomplishment or ability, I ask...

Would you go to a physician who couldn't pass his board exams?

Have a house designed by an Architect who wasn't board certified?

Take tax advice from someone who couldn't pass the CPA exam?

Take legal advice from a law school grad who never passed the Bar Exam?

It seems that written exams are relied upon heavily in areas where it really counts, but are discounted when the scores are inconvenient.

Hi-SET (replacement in our state for the GED) and CASAS (which is required for all adult ed students in Maine) are out here as well. Both test services SAY they are working on somehow making them available remotely. I don't know how they replace the proctor, and considering how long it takes them to update their materials, I'm not holding my breath. Maybe remote testing will be available in a hundred years when we have the next pandemic.

My son just took the GRE online. Why can't they do that with the SAT?
All the standardized tests I give in adult ed (Hi-SET, CASAS and Accuplacer) are online, but they still require a live proctor to monitor the students while they take the test. Maine is not allowing any of that at the moment. The companies are working on a way to make it cheat proof without someone watching. I don't know how they are going to do that. Curious, though.

It is ironic that this phenomenon rears its ugly head at a time in Education History when there are massive forces fighting the power of the SAT/ACT, mainly because it don't have no respect for "diversity and/or inclusion."

Those who are so inclined have been saying that for 30 years. That is not novel to this "time in Education History." The current topic is regarding schools waiving the test requirement for at least this year because of the pandemic we are experiencing. Don't try too hard to overlay your own agenda over every topic.

My agenda is simply this: The forces of "progressivism" are ANTI-MERIT, and always have been, but a compliant Media and the mediocre Academic hierarchy always cloak their fight against meritocracy in social memes and phony compassion for demographic groups that persistently fail when exposed to real, objective competition.

I chuckle to recall the time when I was in the Federal orbit many years ago. "Professional and Administrative" hiring was largely influenced by a competitive test called the "PACE" test, which tested general knowledge and problem-solving ability. For entry level hires the HR types would consider both academic credentials and the PACE score, to identify (a) the dullards who managed to get a college degree (which was common during Vietnam), and (b) those who had no degree but were capable of doing administrative work at a "management" level.

Of course, Blacks and Hispanics were "left behind" when the PACE exam came in, so President Carter killed the test and ordered the Office of Personnel Management to devise a test that would result in "whites" and the targeted ethnic groups passing the test in roughly equal numbers. This being an impossible task, no test was ever devised, and the result was a bizarre system where college GPA was compared broadly, with a 3.5 from Bob's Community College and a 3.5 from Harvard given equal weight.

With this philosophy holding sway in Academe, the chance to simply forgo SAT/ACT (as a result of the plague) is a gift to the Social Justice Warriors who control the admissions offices, and the results are entirely predictable. Indeed, one can foresee a movement next year to ignore these exams entirely, as being superfluous.

Assuming, of course, that "college" goes back to "normal" after the plague subsides. No guarantees on that.

They should cancel the 2020-2021 academic year.
Damn! Looks like it sucks to be a student in 2020-21, they're getting fucked all over the place!

Aw man! Fuck that! Damn! They deserve their Senior proms and everything!

This is not fair to those students.

There should be like a paid Ft. Lauderdale stripper party or something.

This shit is not fair to them!

Sure, I got mine years ago, but that don't make it right how they're getting robbed!

My original graduating class was a loong time ago.
We did rent a limo and tuxes and had dates for homecoming, though.

Forum List

Back