Sands of Iwo Jima

Polishprince

Diamond Member
Jun 8, 2016
A tremendous film and really appropriate for Memorial Day as the Duke portrays a Marine sergeant who falls in the field of battle on the title island.

Anywho, the question I had was regarding John Wayne in Honolulu. He meets the lovely Julie Bishop in a bar room and she invites him into her apartment. When she discovers she is virtually out of booze, she pours the last drink for the Duke and leaves to go to the liquor store for more, leaving him alone for a few minutes. It is discovered then, that she left her baby in the apt while she was at the bar after John Wayne hears the baby crying.

Why wasn't child protective services called? I can see any woman letting the baby alone with John Wayne- but not alone

..it was ok back then ..babies were expected to either learn or die ..strongest and smartest survive = strong species
..I've got the DVD and haven't watched it in a long time

What about all the smoking?

Men really didn't give a shit about the dangers of smoking when they have more immediate dangers of Japs shooting at you while you are just minding your own business going to the beach. The Japanese people are noted for their supposed politeness, but they didn't show too much of it back in the 1940's.

My father's brother was a Marine who fought on the islands of Guadalcanal, Iwo Jima, Tarawa, Bougainville and one other island I can't remember.
He was as tough as nails and hated Japs until the day he died. ... :salute:

Men really didn't give a shit about the dangers of smoking when they have more immediate dangers of Japs shooting at you while you are just minding your own business going to the beach. The Japanese people are noted for their supposed politeness, but they didn't show too much of it back in the 1940's.

More WWII vets were killed by getting addicted to cigarettes in the Army than were killed by Jap bullets

More WWII vets were killed by getting addicted to cigarettes in the Army than were killed by Jap bullets

Even more were killed by heartbreak after Obama implemented his risky Obamacare scheme. They fought to stop the axis from implementing a socialized medical scheme, and then Hitler and Hirohito ended up winning in the end.

The best way to honor veterans is to honor the men and women they are right now rather than relive the battles they managed to survive. Memorial day should be entirely about solemnly mourning the high cost of war rather than glorifying war itself.

The best way to honor veterans is to honor the men and women they are right now rather than relive the battles they managed to survive. Memorial day should be entirely about solemnly mourning the high cost of war rather than glorifying war itself.
Memorial Day is for mourning all the lives lost for the empire.

If you're a veteran, thank you for your opinion.
If not, STFU ... :cool:
I am, but I do not think it makes my opinion worth more than anyone else's.

how about those who died that gave you the freedom to spew ignorance like you just did?

The Sands of Iwo Jima is a bit theatrical, but a good movie.
The HBO series The Pacific was more realistic and very good.
Clint Eastwood's movie Letters from Iwo Jima was lame.
Lee Marvin's movie Hell in the Pacific is interesting. Marvin was a real marine veteran who was wounded in WWll.
Gary Cooper's movie Sargent York is a good one.

If you're a veteran, thank you for your opinion.
If not, STFU ... :cool:
I am, but I do not think it makes my opinion worth more than anyone else's.
playing call of duty on PlayStation doesn't make you a Vet.

how about those who died that gave you the freedom to spew ignorance like you just did?
What about them? I said we should honor the veterans rather than glorify war. Is there some problem you have with that?

Forum List

Back