San Fran Major Ban Bottled Water

red states rule

May 30, 2006
Why are the people of San Fran letting this idiot humilate their city? First it was micrwave popcorn - not bottled water

Mayor Newsom prohibits city departments from using bottled water

SAN FRANCISCO (AP) - Citing environmental concerns, Mayor Gavin Newsom issued an executive order prohibiting city departments from buying bottled water.

In a decision announced yesterday, Newsom says the ban will go into effect July first and extend to all city and county water coolers by December first.

A spokesman for the San Francisco public utilities commission says Newsom's decision will save tax payer money and combat global warming.

http://www.cbs47.tv/news/state/story.aspx?content_id=256a9c75-269a-40ca-929c-8868f84736a5

Why are the people of San Fran letting this idiot humilate their city? First it was micrwave popcorn - not bottled water

SAN FRANCISCO (AP) - Citing environmental concerns, Mayor Gavin Newsom issued an executive order prohibiting city departments from buying bottled water.

In a decision announced yesterday, Newsom says the ban will go into effect July first and extend to all city and county water coolers by December first.

A spokesman for the San Francisco public utilities commission says Newsom's decision will save tax payer money and combat global warming.

http://www.cbs47.tv/news/state/story.aspx?content_id=256a9c75-269a-40ca-929c-8868f84736a5

My first thought was, "What an idiot, this mayor in San fran."

But then, I thought, WHY SHOULD TAX DOLLARS of the citizens of San Francisco, PAY for bottled water for government employees???

I don't think they should have to pay for bottled water for government employees, and this is the reason I think I would have to agree with the Mayor on this one, but not for his environmental reasons.

care

What's stupid about this? Nothing. First, it will save the taxpayers money. Why do government offices need bottle water? Most companies I've ever worked for, didn't have bottled water.

Second, the city's tap water supply is perfectly safe. The city employees can use that, rather than wasting tax money on bottled water for their office.

My first thought was, "What an idiot, this mayor in San fran."

But then, I thought, WHY SHOULD TAX DOLLARS of the citizens of San Francisco, PAY for bottled water for government employees???

I don't think they should have to pay for bottled water for government employees, and this is the reason I think I would have to agree with the Mayor on this one, but not for his environmental reasons.

care

Excellent point. It is too bad that RSR didn’t think of this before posting the article – or does he want the citizens of San Fran to pay more taxes than necessary.

What's stupid about this? Nothing. First, it will save the taxpayers money. Why do government offices need bottle water? Most companies I've ever worked for, didn't have bottled water.

Second, the city's tap water supply is perfectly safe. The city employees can use that, rather than wasting tax money on bottled water for their office.

SF needs to save money. They have more important thnings to pay for - like sex change operations for their employees

City could pay for sex changes

snip...

San Francisco started offering the benefit to its employees in 2001, said Marcus Arana, a discrimination investigator with the city's Human Rights Commission and one of the architects of that city's policy.

Arana said he faced resistance from people who feared it would end up costing the city too much money because those wanting the surgery would flock to San Francisco to get jobs or marry city employees just to get the benefits.

Insurance companies don't offer it unless specifically asked, and out of fear, he said.

"It's based on the fear that everyone will want sex changes," Arana said. "And it's based on the antiquated notion that these procedures are experimental or cosmetic, but the city of San Francisco has determined that it is a medically necessary treatment for transexualism."

http://www.ebdailynews.com/article/2007-5-5-05-05-07-eb-surgery

First SF banned light bulbs, then microwave popcorn, then bottled water. What is next? Employees driving SUV's to work?

SF banned light bulbs? How do they work at night? Do you have a link to the article that says that light bulbs are banned?

I think they made everyone switch to energy saving bulbs.

The ones that dont give off 90% of their energy as heat.

You mean the fluorescent ones with mercury in them?

This bottled water story is such a non story as to be silly. The entire state should ban bottled water in government facilities at taxpayer expense, screw the envirinmental aspect.

Now, please excuse me while I go drive my SUV with the windows down and the air conditioner on high.

bingo! I would almost bet the issue with bottled water, depending on the recycle situation in SF is the mass these plastic bottles create in the landfills and the ecological impact.

The only thing worth recycling is cans.

According to 'Penn and Teller's', Bullshit.

First SF banned light bulbs-incandescent light bulbs release 80+% of their energy in heat, not light. They replaced them with fluorescent light bulbs saving 70% + on the tax payer's energy bill.,

then microwave popcorn- the article about this noted 60 evacuations a month because of burnt popcorn setting off the fire/smoke alarms....making these gvt employees UNPRODUCTIVE 60 times a month, during the evacuations, again, costing the tax payer a ton of money!,

then bottled water-as i mentioned, tax payers should NOT have to pay for govt employee's bottled water!

i'd say the guy is being frugal! penny saved is a penny earned type thing!

care

No. Someone at this board said that first SF banned light bulbs. Energy saving light bulbs are still light bulbs. Oh. Wait. RSR made that comment. How could I have forgotten the way that he stretches things and does not communicate in detailed and specific information? At least RSR did not say that water was banned.

I'm always entertained by discussions of bottled water. In virtually all parts of the United States, bottled water is a scam, right up there with selling sand to the Arabs or ice to the Eskimos. Somehow people have persuaded themselves that the water coming out of their taps is not good for some reason. Although I haven't heard of anyone suing the city utilities for this supposed "poor quality". Neither have I heard of any epidemics of large numbers of people getting sick or dying from drinking tap water, anywhere at all. And no one else has heard of such things, either, because they never happened.

Yet many have convinced themselves, helped by copious advertising from the bottled-water companies of course, that bottled water is better for you than tap water. And they are willing to pay dollars for the privilege of going to the store and hauling large cases of water home - the same home where they could pay fractions of a cent to get the same water with a convenient twist of the tap, right in their kitchen.

It's a wonder these people don't go around wearing rubber gloves and surgical masks - the risk from breathing the air and touching various surfaces is at least as high (that is, it's not high at all) as drinking tap water. Maybe higher, since unknown people, animals, dust etc. have touched that air right before it goes into your lungs, whereas tap water's delivery system is fairly well controlled. At least, better controlled than air.

People who wear gloves and surgical masks everywhere, are correctly known as fruitcakes or paranoids. Bottled-water people would be also, except they're harder to spot - the bottled water they're drinking doesn't look any different than tap water... except for the price tag, of course. Plus the way they whine about terrible pollution or whatever in tap water. The whining is safe, since they are among friends who are unlikely to check for actual evidence of their claims... and equally unlikely to stop and ask themselves when they last heard of ANYBODY having an actual personal problem from tap water.

If the Eskimos ever wise up and stop buying ice from me, I'm not worried. I can always keep selling bottled water to gullible Americans, even the ones who took pains to make sure the house they just bought had water taps everywhere for virtually-free city water. And my advertising budget will dwindle to zero, since my victims\\\\\\\customers will do all that themselves, self-righteously telling each other that they are far superior to those tap-water-drinking Neanderthals because of... well, for some reason.

Great work if you can get it.

I'm always entertained by discussions of bottled water. In virtually all parts of the United States, bottled water is a scam, right up there with selling sand to the Arabs or ice to the Eskimos. Somehow people have persuaded themselves that the water coming out of their taps is not good for some reason. Although I haven't heard of anyone suing the city utilities for this supposed "poor quality". Neither have I heard of any epidemics of large numbers of people getting sick or dying from drinking tap water, anywhere at all. And no one else has heard of such things, either, because they never happened.

Yet many have convinced themselves, helped by copious advertising from the bottled-water companies of course, that bottled water is better for you than tap water. And they are willing to pay dollars for the privilege of going to the store and hauling large cases of water home - the same home where they could pay fractions of a cent to get the same water with a convenient twist of the tap, right in their kitchen.

It's a wonder these people don't go around wearing rubber gloves and surgical masks - the risk from breathing the air and touching various surfaces is at least as high (that is, it's not high at all) as drinking tap water. Maybe higher, since unknown people, animals, dust etc. have touched that air right before it goes into your lungs, whereas tap water's delivery system is fairly well controlled. At least, better controlled than air.

People who wear gloves and surgical masks everywhere, are correctly known as fruitcakes or paranoids. Bottled-water people would be also, except they're harder to spot - the bottled water they're drinking doesn't look any different than tap water... except for the price tag, of course. Plus the way they whine about terrible pollution or whatever in tap water. The whining is safe, since they are among friends who are unlikely to check for actual evidence of their claims... and equally unlikely to stop and ask themselves when they last heard of ANYBODY having an actual personal problem from tap water.

If the Eskimos ever wise up and stop buying ice from me, I'm not worried. I can always keep selling bottled water to gullible Americans, even the ones who took pains to make sure the house they just bought had water taps everywhere for virtually-free city water. And my advertising budget will dwindle to zero, since my victims\\\\\\\customers will do all that themselves, self-righteously telling each other that they are far superior to those tap-water-drinking Neanderthals because of... well, for some reason.

Great work if you can get it.

Evian spelled backwards is...

Forum List

Back