San Antonio and Austin

The Alamo is in downtown San Antonio, while you're there you might think above visiting the riverwalk and try some authentic tex-mex food. It ain't spicy unless you ask for it that way.
They have a kayak tour on the river, too.

LOL, just make sure you stay in the kayak, that water ain't exactly what you'd call pristine if you get my drift.
What? That water was very clean when I was there, very pretty and you could see to the bottom.

The Alamo is in downtown San Antonio, while you're there you might think above visiting the riverwalk and try some authentic tex-mex food. It ain't spicy unless you ask for it that way.

LOL, just make sure you stay in the kayak, that water ain't exactly what you'd call pristine if you get my drift.
What? That water was very clean when I was there, very pretty and you could see to the bottom.

Depends maybe on when you go. I believe it's once a year in the winter they drain the river and clean it out as best they can and then let the water flow back in. And by summer it ain't real clean, I wouldn't want to fall in. Some years probably are different from others, and I haven't been down there is several years, so maybe things have changed. Great place to go though.

Depends maybe on when you go. I believe it's once a year in the winter they drain the river and clean it out as best they can and then let the water flow back in. And by summer it ain't real clean, I wouldn't want to fall in. Some years probably are different from others, and I haven't been down there is several years, so maybe things have changed. Great place to go though.

I went in the middle of summer. In the 80s. :eek2yum:
My 1st introduction to salsa and guacamole. Riverwalk Cantina, right next to the bridge.
I didn't get a Jim Bowie knife, but I got an Alamo pocketknife.
Water just like Rainbow River back then..but smaller.

Last edited:

My 1st introduction to salsa and guacamole. Riverwalk Cantina, right next to the bridge.

Been there. Enchiladas, refried beans, tortillas, a little lettuce salad and ice tea on the river walk. Can't do better than that.

Been there. Enchiladas, refried beans, tortillas, a little lettuce salad and ice tea on the river walk. Can't do better than that.
Nice place. Pretty sure that's where I learned to love Enchiladas.

This is the last trip I get to take with my kid before he goes to college out of state. He was supposed to go overseas but that trip was cancelled. So, before I unleash him on the world, we are going to do some stuff. We have been to the Ford Presidential Library and Museum, the Clinton Presidential Museum and we are going to hit here:
Home - The George W. Bush Presidential Library and Museum and The Sixth Floor Museum | The Sixth Floor Museum at Dealey Plaza driving in. At some point we are going over to Austin to hit this one:
LBJ Presidential Library and the Stevie Ray Vaughan statue.

he has to see the Alamo and the other 4 missions.
San Antonio Missions National Historical Park (U.S. National Park Service)

We are going to go here:

I wouldn't mind hitting here:

That's the plan.
Don’t forget the river walk.I assume you have been there? Yes that is true he needs to see the Alamo but it is everybit as much important that he sees the river walk as well.that place is heaven on earth.

San Antonio is the greatest best kept secret on the planet. I was there for the first time last fall when it is the perfect time of the year to visit. Wow,San Antonio is the most underrated city in the country. We always hear about how california and Florida are beautiful but you NEVER hear anything about how beautiful San Antonio is.

I went there on a business trip last fall. I was expecting to be bored there.I didn’t think there would be anything to do.I was expecting to be bored out of my mind.i figured other than the Alamo there was nothing to see there and nothing to do. I could not have been more wrong in my life,complete opposite.

There is so much to do at the riverwalk it would take a lifetime to do it all and see it all if you did not live there. You hear about how New York is the city that never sleeps,well same with the river walk in SA. It is everybit as much beautiful as California and Florida. I had no idea they had those boat cruises you get on and they take you around the whole city.at nighttime it is just gorgeous and beautiful.

I have always dreamed about fininishing living my last years of life in retirement out in Southern California but with all those fires they are having and they are worse every year,I think I have changed my I mind and will live my final days in San antonio :)

I feel sorry for the people that have never been there and have no idea how beautiful the riverwalk area is who like me,have always thought you would be bored there.i wish I could tell everyone out there in the world
who thinks the same way about SA as I always did until last year,how wrong they are,that’s it’s nothing like they think it is,that it’s every bit as beautiful as California and Florida,that they are missing out on a thrill of a lifetime if they never go there.

I think it’s such a shame people don’t know the truth about San Antonio and how the area of the boardwalk is one of the most beautiful places in the world.

I've been to the river walk and I'll take him there.

I’d love to do that visit.

Nice place. Pretty sure that's where I learned to love Enchiladas.

What are they?

Disir are you driving and have you driven the Texas interstate and frontage road system before?

Like New Jersey and their jug handles...it's a little different than the rest of the countries exit and entry ramp system.

Disir are you driving and have you driven the Texas interstate and frontage road system before?

Like New Jersey and their jug handles...it's a little different than the rest of the countries exit and entry ramp system.

I am driving. I go to Texas a lot. My dad lives outside of Dallas. That was my son's complaint. We only go to see my Dad. So, now we go to San Antonio. I was there when I was about 21.

Last edited:
Austin is pretty awful due to the traffic. Takes forever to get anywhere during the daytime hours when everything is open. You might want to call ahead and make sure many of those places are open, as well; many have restricted hours or are closed due to the virus thing, and with the big upsurge in cases here it could change on a moment's notice.

Doesn't anybody ever go to Palo Duro Canyon or Big Bend any more? Who wants to see cites when on vacation?

This is the last trip I get to take with my kid before he goes to college out of state. He was supposed to go overseas but that trip was cancelled. So, before I unleash him on the world, we are going to do some stuff. We have been to the Ford Presidential Library and Museum, the Clinton Presidential Museum and we are going to hit here:
Home - The George W. Bush Presidential Library and Museum and The Sixth Floor Museum | The Sixth Floor Museum at Dealey Plaza driving in. At some point we are going over to Austin to hit this one:

We are going to go here:

That's the plan.

Better hurry.....they might not be around long.

We are going to go here:

That's the plan.

Abbot needs to make up his mind. If Texas is going to shut back down then I will not be going there.

Uh why would you want to go see thelibrary

We are going to go here:

That's the plan.

uh why would you want to go see the bush library,someone who was a mass murderer.?

and by all means go to deadly plaza just don’t go into the 6th floor museum,that is there only to enforce the magic bullet theory bs that Oswald shot jfk.interestimg since you mentioned a hole bushin the same sentence of deadly plaza because he was one of the operatives for the cia who was involved in it up to his ears. Just watch the jfk bush connection,that video has never been debunked.

Uh why would you want to go see thelibrary

We are going to go here:

That's the plan.

uh why would you want to go see the bush library,someone who was a mass murderer.?

and by all means go to deadly plaza just don’t go into the 6th floor museum,that is there only to enforce the magic bullet theory bs that Oswald shot jfk.interestimg since you mentioned a hole bushin the same sentence of deadly plaza because he was one of the operatives for the cia who was involved in it up to his ears. Just watch the jfk bush connection,that video has never been debunked.

The museums are one thing. The libraries are another. So, if you want to research a specific event, person or communications between people then you would tackle the library. It's imperative to know that because even some of our best historians have left information out on biographies of people. I want my kid to know where to go and that he doesn't have to rely on someone else for information.

Last edited:

We are going to go here:

That's the plan.

Abbot needs to make up his mind. If Texas is going to shut back down then I will not be going there.

If you liked Trump's response to the Pandemic, you'll love Abbott's. He's 3X as clueless as the blob. I speak to someone in Texas every day just about--lots of family and friends down there. You can walk into one store in any town--you pick it--and nobody has a mask on and you're welcome to come in. You can walk into the same store later with a different manager on duty and you can't go in without a mask. Better to have the mask on you instead of being turned away is what I'm gathering. You can always take it off.

As for touristy things...the things that you'd probably be interested in; you're screwed if you're destination is any official government building. I suggest you stick with the attraction's websites for up to the minute information....I put some below

Natural Bridge Caverns | Naturally Amazing Surprisingly Open....

LBJ Presidential Library Closed

The Alamo Closed

Hotels in San Antonio TX | Official Site | The Historic Menger Hotel Honeymooned there with my spouse.... The Colonial Room brunch on weekends is not to be missed.

Black's BBQ Depends on what day you visit...excellent food most times; charred remains of a once proud animal others

Cooper's BBQ Consistently great but Blacks is better.

Maudie's Tex-Mex - Enjoy True Tex-Mex At Your Neighborhood Mexican Restaurant Outstanding place!

The Official San Antonio River Walk ehh....

Home - Buc-ees Bring your checkbook!

The Original Blanco cafe Closed Sunday....;-( Not to be missed

https://www.mitierracafe.com/ Over-rated but a rite of passage for any tourist in SA

https://saltlickbbq.com/ Never saw what the big deal about this place was but the place is always packed.

http://gruenehall.com/ Closed but well worth the look

Also check out Hippie Hollow. If you dare.

We are going to go here:

That's the plan.

You forgot a couple things. Food. There is some DAMN fine food to be had out that way. Fishing, real good fishing to. And the last time I was out that way I noticed lots of wineries to. So much cool stuff. Have a good day and pleasant weather.

We are going to go here:

That's the plan.
Shit, I was actually thinking of taking my grandkid to natural bridge caverns today.

Austin is pretty awful due to the traffic. Takes forever to get anywhere during the daytime hours when everything is open. You might want to call ahead and make sure many of those places are open, as well; many have restricted hours or are closed due to the virus thing, and with the big upsurge in cases here it could change on a moment's notice.

Doesn't anybody ever go to Palo Duro Canyon or Big Bend any more? Who wants to see cites when on vacation?
I been planning a motorcycle camping trip to the Palo Duro canyon.
They have some really cool cabins you can stay in.

We are going to go here:

That's the plan.

If you liked Trump's response to the Pandemic, you'll love Abbott's. He's 3X as clueless as the blob. I speak to someone in Texas every day just about--lots of family and friends down there. You can walk into one store in any town--you pick it--and nobody has a mask on and you're welcome to come in. You can walk into the same store later with a different manager on duty and you can't go in without a mask. Better to have the mask on you instead of being turned away is what I'm gathering. You can always take it off.

As for touristy things...the things that you'd probably be interested in; you're screwed if you're destination is any official government building. I suggest you stick with the attraction's websites for up to the minute information....I put some below

Natural Bridge Caverns | Naturally Amazing Surprisingly Open....

LBJ Presidential Library Closed

The Alamo Closed

Hotels in San Antonio TX | Official Site | The Historic Menger Hotel Honeymooned there with my spouse.... The Colonial Room brunch on weekends is not to be missed.

Black's BBQ Depends on what day you visit...excellent food most times; charred remains of a once proud animal others

Cooper's BBQ Consistently great but Blacks is better.

Maudie's Tex-Mex - Enjoy True Tex-Mex At Your Neighborhood Mexican Restaurant Outstanding place!

The Official San Antonio River Walk ehh....

Home - Buc-ees Bring your checkbook!

The Original Blanco cafe Closed Sunday....;-( Not to be missed

Where To Eat in Downtown San Antonio, TX | 24 Hour Restaurant Over-rated but a rite of passage for any tourist in SA

Salt Lick BBQ | Like No Other - Since 1967 Never saw what the big deal about this place was but the place is always packed.

Home - GRUENE HALL Closed but well worth the look

Also check out Hippie Hollow. If you dare.
Really? Hippie hollow?

It's a mom and son trip, you pervert.
(SMH)

New Topics

Forum List

Back