*** Salute to Canadian Veterans ***

Jul 29, 2011
Houston, Texas
I was coming out of the grocery store today when an elderly gentleman was walking in. I noticed he was wearing a ball cap with a Canadian maple leaf and below it, a small cap badge of the Royal Winnipeg Rifles, one of the assault companies on DDAY, Juno Beach. I turned around, walked back inside and introduced myself. The gentlemen was excrutiatingly nice. He was in town to visit his daughter who was getting married (again) and visiting Houston. We talked for a short moment. He said that he was in the first wave of assault troops that came ashore; he lost many, many friends throughout the DDAY campaign and later, the Canadian assault into Holland. I shook his hand and thanked him for his service.

Canada paid a heavy price in WWI and WWII and has proudly served overseas as peacekeepers (what the Canucks call "PK's") since WWII and during the Cold War as part of NATO's northern defences.

A salute to our friends up north.

I met a group of guys a few years back touring DC. They were with The Service Rifles, a group which promotes Canadian military history but that's all I know about them. Don't know if they're Canadian vets, civilian history nuts or a combination of both.

and on 9/11 it was the canadians who came to our aid....moving their military into postion to defend us from any more coming attacks....it would be canadians who flooded blood banks with their blood cause it would reach nyc faster....it was canadians who came to nyc and had a canadian weekend....even with their sorry ass exchange rate and helped the economy.....

it will always be the canadians who have our back...we should not forget that

and on 9/11 it was the canadians who came to our aid....moving their military into postion to defend us from any more coming attacks....it would be canadians who flooded blood banks with their blood cause it would reach nyc faster....it was canadians who came to nyc and had a canadian weekend....even with their sorry ass exchange rate and helped the economy.....

it will always be the canadians who have our back...we should not forget that
And Canada opened their airports and cities to those planes headed for the USA but couldn't return.

I lived in Detroit at the time of the attacks (Canada is just a stone's throw due south of there). I was less than a mile from the border and they were right there in the sky and on the water, patrolling the border.

They are a good lot.

But, that doesn't mean Tim Horton's still doesn't suck. :scared1:

Canadian Armed Forces -- Keeping the world safe from baby seals since whenever, eh?

Just kidding. (Baby seals are still threat)

Forum List

Back