Sales Taxes

Supposn

Gold Member
Jul 26, 2009
Sales Taxes:
individuals' annual purchases rather than their paid income taxes, are more accurate indications of their comparative proportional incomes and wealth.
Sales taxes are only regressive in comparison to income taxes, when levied upon those who do not otherwise pay income taxes, (i.e. upon those of much less or no taxable incomes).
[Depending upon the product purchased and the drafting of the law, sales taxes can to some extent be drafted to effectively be greater or lesser regressive].

At some point increases of tax revenues less justify the economic consequences of the increases; those points differ for different tax schemes and their purposes. It's my opinion those points are of comparatively lesser rates for sales taxes rather than taxes on incomes or upon almost any other matters. I also believe it's desirable for all while in the USA, and all USA citizens to the extent we're able, should be equitably required to contribute to our tax revenues.

Respectfully, Supposn

Working people spend a larger percentage of their income than the wealthy. They have to.

The wealthy paying the same sales tax rate as the poor and working class is regressive.

Your alleged factoid that "working people" are bigger spendthrifts than their more frugal and affluent neighbors is irrelevant even if true.

Spending is an optional activity, no one is forced to pay sales tax as no one is forced to make the purchase.

If we stipulate your allegation is true, maybe the thrift and frugality of wealthy people is why they are wealthy in the first place?

Working people spend a larger percentage of their income than the wealthy. They have to.

The wealthy paying the same sales tax rate as the poor and working class is regressive.

BTW, most Affluent people work extremely hard. CEO's put in long hours, so do medical doctors and other well paid people. Calling someone who is down on their luck a "working person" is offensive as well as inaccurate. It implies that the highly paid pecker checker who is called out of his bed at 4 a.m. to go to the ER to repair the bladder of someone who was playing "William Tell" with their friend who missed and hit him in the southern hemisphere isn't a "working person" just because he earns a good living is offensive as hell.

Your alleged factoid that "working people" are bigger spendthrifts than their more frugal and affluent neighbors is irrelevant even if true.

No he is alluding to percent for their income. A million dollars a year sniff at sales tax compared for a person on 40 grand a year.

Want a sales tax?

Put a sales tax on every stock transaction

Stock Transactions are investments, not purchases.

If you did that, investment in business would decline precipitously as well as employment.

So would retirement savings, forcing old timers out of their homes to create discord with their younger relatives.

Ever action has effects, this is where you libs always err. Supposedly taxes on cigarettes were going to pay for children's health care, and it wouldn't cost non-smokers a nickel.

But increasing the taxes reduced the number of smokes sold and money never met expectations. As a result, the decision was a failure as they didn't think it out.

Want a sales tax?

Put a sales tax on every stock transaction

If you did that, investment in business would decline precipitously as well as employment.

So would retirement savings, forcing old timers out of their homes to create discord with their younger relatives.

Ever action has effects, this is where you libs always err. Supposedly taxes on cigarettes were going to pay for children's health care, and it wouldn't cost non-smokers a nickel.

But increasing the taxes reduced the number of smokes sold and money never met expectations. As a result, the decision was a failure as they didn't think it out.
You buy stock. Part of a company
It is still a purchase

Tax it like any other purchase

The super wealthy can avoid taking income. They cannot avoid buying and selling stock.

Best way to tax the wealthy

Sales Taxes:
individuals' annual purchases rather than their paid income taxes, are more accurate indications of their comparative proportional incomes and wealth.
Sales taxes are only regressive in comparison to income taxes, when levied upon those who do not otherwise pay income taxes, (i.e. upon those of much less or no taxable incomes).
[Depending upon the product purchased and the drafting of the law, sales taxes can to some extent be drafted to effectively be greater or lesser regressive].

At some point increases of tax revenues less justify the economic consequences of the increases; those points differ for different tax schemes and their purposes. It's my opinion those points are of comparatively lesser rates for sales taxes rather than taxes on incomes or upon almost any other matters. I also believe it's desirable for all while in the USA, and all USA citizens to the extent we're able, should be equitably required to contribute to our tax revenues.

Respectfully, Supposn
Sales taxes are regressive because poor people spend all or most of their money and wealthy folks do not.

Next.

Your alleged factoid that "working people" are bigger spendthrifts than their more frugal and affluent neighbors is irrelevant even if true
False premise. Nobody said they are "spendthrift". The simple fact is they just spend more of their money to survive.

Next.

Then stop buying and selling them.

Next.

If people stop investing in business, who will provide the money for manufacturing, farming, commerce, mining? Big government? Is a bureaucrat or politician better at determining what a good idea to risk money at than investors in the market.

The idea of punishing people for doing the right thing and saving for their retirement doesn't seem to be very wise. How do you think having millions more impoverished seniors living in the homes of their younger relatives going to work out?

Which is why things like groceries clothing ( up to some limit), medicine and utilities shouldn't be taxed.

I think a national sale tax with those exemptions would be very fair.

it would broaden the base and people who avoid income taxes would have to pay

Personally I think it's unethical to tax income.

Sales Taxes:

Respectfully, Supposn
Sales taxes are regressive because poor people spend all or most of their money and wealthy folks do not.

Next.
Poor people also pay the same rate as the wealthy. Just what conservatives want on income tax.

Poor and working people have to spend a large percentage of their earnings on purchases
The wealthy can’t buy that much “stuff”

Which is why things like groceries clothing ( up to some limit), medicine and utilities shouldn't be taxed.

I think a national sale tax with those exemptions would be very fair.

it would broaden the base and people who avoid income taxes would have to pay

Personally I think it's unethical to tax income.

Taxing income put a huge burden on the taxpayers.

Every year, every citizen has to complete a form to send to the government making an accounting of their entire productive lives and sign it under oath.

Hell of a burden, not to mention an invasion of privacy.

A lot easier just to have taxation added to the price of what you are buying. The money is the same to the government in both cases, but the income tax is a lot more burdensome as far as procedure to the citizens.

Next.

If people stop investing in business, who will provide the money for manufacturing, farming, commerce, mining? Big government? Is a bureaucrat or politician better at determining what a good idea to risk money at than investors in the market.

The idea of punishing people for doing the right thing and saving for their retirement doesn't seem to be very wise. How do you think having millions more impoverished seniors living in the homes of their younger relatives going to work out?
You think a one percent tax on stock transactions will stop the, from buying? They already pay more than that in brokerage fees
The wealthy can hide their income and capital gains. They can’t stop investing their money and buying and selling huge quantities

Sales Taxes:

Respectfully, Supposn

Next.
Poor people also pay the same rate as the wealthy. Just what conservatives want on income tax.

Poor and working people have to spend a large percentage of their earnings on purchases
Wealthy people buy a larger quantity of and more expensive goods so they would pay more sales taxes.

Just as with a flat tax on income. And besides actual poor people pay zero income tax anyway so your argument is moot.

Get rid of all the deductions and tools for evasion that are written into our tax code and reduce the bureaucracy.

Next.

You think a one percent tax on stock transactions will stop the, from buying? They already pay more than that in brokerage fees
The wealthy can hide their income and capital gains. They can’t stop investing their money and buying and selling huge quantities

Not everyone pays brokerage fees.

I sure as hell don't

And you can't hide capital gains to avoid taxes. If you sell an asset for a profit you will pay the CG tax.

Sales Taxes:

Respectfully, Supposn

Next.

Actually, you have things half ass backwards.

Wealthy people buy a lot more stuff and a lot more expensive stuff. Very few poor people buying Bentleys, they are saving money by looking for a used Yugo instead.

Forum List

Back