Safe Spaces: It's got to stop!

Jackson

Gold Member
Dec 31, 2010
Nashville
What is it with these "safe spaces?" Someone may hurt your feeling so you want a place you can hide? And "be with your own kind?"

What have we come to? Our college campuses are allowing kids who once were planning and preparing for their futures. No it's a breeding ground for irrational activists!

And to make things worse, minorities are demanding segregated housing and their proverbial safe spaces. We, as a nation are going backwards. How can we relate to another race if we don't have dialogue with them? We have to get to know people before we judge them...so why is this desegregation being allowed on our university campuses?

Part of maturing is getting along. It's meeting new people different than you and developing relationships. Our universities are propagating the opposite and it has to stop.

jackson is in her safe space here.

wail, jackson, wail

Remember, girl: keep preaching at those you don't like so they start liking you

What is it with these "safe spaces?" Someone may hurt your feeling so you want a place you can hide? And "be with your own kind?"

What have we come to? Our college campuses are allowing kids who once were planning and preparing for their futures. No it's a breeding ground for irrational activists!

And to make things worse, minorities are demanding segregated housing and their proverbial safe spaces. We, as a nation are going backwards. How can we relate to another race if we don't have dialogue with them? We have to get to know people before we judge them...so why is this desegregation being allowed on our university campuses?

Part of maturing is getting along. It's meeting new people different than you and developing relationships. Our universities are propagating the opposite and it has to stop.
The Regressive Left will always spin and deflect for this, because it has served them well and continues to increase in intensity.

Yes, if there is one place in this country that needs to be a bastion of open minds, freedom of expression, contrary opinions and open debate, I would start with college campuses. What a critical for our young people to expose themselves to the world out there.

But these people see the political advantage of going in the opposite direction, and they're gonna run with it.

No it's a breeding ground for irrational activists!

A good description of my non STEM professors in college and I graduated way back in '83.

The little snowflakes will get a dose of reality once they graduate. Unless they're trust fund babies, they'll have to deal with the claws and fangs of the world or flip burgers.

Russia is building nuclear shelters to protect themselves against potential fallout of Hillary presidency.

The left should be building safe spaces to protect themselves against the very, very hurt feels of the potential Trump presidency. Everyone needs to be able to fit in.

Last edited:
What needs to stop is the incessant ranting from some regarding how our young people are "snowflakes". It is based on a few outlier examples and has no basis in reality.

Today's youth are every bit as resilient and able to withstand discomfort as any generation. They are better prepared than we were, in fact.

I contend that the desire that our young people have for civility and empathy toward others is a direct result of the fact that our generation lacks both.

For some reason, taking a shit on young people turns some people on. I'd suggest turning the lens inward.

If that's what they want, what's the problem?

If you wish to live with people of your own kind, that should be an option. It doesn't mean hate or that you can't get along with anybody else, just that you're more comfortable being with people you understand more and that better understands you.

Forcing people to be together simply doesn't work. I remember years ago in high school how everybody was segregated. In the cafeteria, the stoners sat with other stoners, the nerds sat with other nerds, the jocks sat with the other jocks, and yes, the blacks sat with other blacks. It wasn't by force, it was what they chose to do.

What needs to stop is the incessant ranting from some regarding how our young people are "snowflakes". It is based on a few outlier examples and has no basis in reality.

Today's youth are every bit as resilient and able to withstand discomfort as any generation. They are better prepared than we were, in fact.

I contend that the desire that our young people have for civility and empathy toward others is a direct result of the fact that our generation lacks both.

For some reason, taking a shit on young people turns some people on. I'd suggest turning the lens inward.
I would disagree, although I am not sure of the percentage of those who want the segregation and "safe spaces." But you have probably been on campuses as I have. Those first weeks are exciting and meeting new people is great. You become familiar with the campus and your schedule. But meeting new people and making new friends is the epitome of the experience...somewhat similar to starting a new job and learning the routines there. College campus life is like a training ground for life.

If we limit ourselves to relating to those who are most like us, I feel it is a disservice to our own selves. The richness of life is having the most experiences and learning from others. I think the colleges are not doing kids any favors allowing them to experience only what they are comfortable with at the present time.
And, again, I'll ignore your insult.

If you wish to live with people of your own kind, that should be an option. It doesn't mean hate or that you can't get along with anybody else, just that you're more comfortable being with people you understand more and that better understands you.

Forcing people to be together simply doesn't work. I remember years ago in high school how everybody was segregated. In the cafeteria, the stoners sat with other stoners, the nerds sat with other nerds, the jocks sat with the other jocks, and yes, the blacks sat with other blacks. It wasn't by force, it was what they chose to do.
I agree that people gravitate to those with similar interests, but if we limit our introduction to people who are the same race I feel that we are not realizing that, although they may be different in some respects, but similar in so many other ways.

It's not FORCING people to be together, it's not permitting segregation on behalf of either race.

I would disagree, although I am not sure of the percentage of those who want the segregation and "safe spaces." But you have probably been on campuses as I have. Those first weeks are exciting and meeting new people is great. You become familiar with the campus and your schedule. But meeting new people and making new friends is the epitome of the experience...somewhat similar to starting a new job and learning the routines there. College campus life is like a training ground for life.

If we limit ourselves to relating to those who are most like us, I feel it is a disservice to our own selves. The richness of life is having the most experiences and learning from others. I think the colleges are not doing kids any favors allowing them to experience only what they are comfortable with at the present time.
And, again, I'll ignore your insult.

I did not insult you.

Once again...you are using a few examples of students REACTNG TO SOMETHING REAL in a way that you find unusual....as truth for all young people.

I'd suggest that you investigate what it is that students are reacting to. To simply say " kids these days are so weak that they need mamby-pamby safe spaces" is to ignore reality.

I have to admit, I am a bit encouraged by your suggestion that we should avoid segregation. That POV sort of goes against your politics, don't you think?

I benefitted from attending a public school which was very diverse. Two of my freshman college roommates were black guys. My guess is...that if you were to have a conversation with a student who calls for safe spaces, you'd find that segregation is not their goal. Maybe you should do that?

I agree that people gravitate to those with similar interests, but if we limit our introduction to people who are the same race I feel that we are not realizing that, although they may be different in some respects, but similar in so many other ways.

The point I make is you can't change the way people feel. You can tell them it's not acceptable to say how they feel. You can tell them it's not acceptable to act on how they feel, but you can't change how they feel.

But if they do express the way they feel either by words or actions, we don't send them out to be reprogrammed like the book 1984 simply because it doesn't meet our standards. In a free country, we all have different standards.

So we have to ask ourselves, were we happier being segregated or desegregated? There seems to be a small movement (for now) of blacks desiring to be segregated once again. It's been expressed by blacks here on USMB.

It's not FORCING people to be together, it's not permitting segregation on behalf of either race.

LOL, well isn't that the same thing? If we disallow people from segregating, then what other choice do they have but being forced?

The point I make is you can't change the way people feel. You can tell them it's not acceptable to say how they feel. You can tell them it's not acceptable to act on how they feel, but you can't change how they feel.

But if they do express the way they feel either by words or actions, we don't send them out to be reprogrammed like the book 1984 simply because it doesn't meet our standards. In a free country, we all have different standards.

So we have to ask ourselves, were we happier being segregated or desegregated? There seems to be a small movement (for now) of blacks desiring to be segregated once again. It's been expressed by blacks here on USMB.
You make good points, Ray.

Racism and bigotry are learned behaviors. Nobody naturally "feels" like segregating based on race.

LOL, well isn't that the same thing? If we disallow people from segregating, then what other choice do they have but being forced?

Racism and bigotry are learned behaviors. Nobody naturally "feels" like segregating based on race.
Isn't that is what happening on some of today's campuses?

You make good points, Ray.

No. He doesn't. To say he does is to sanction the idea that bigotry is "just a feeling" that should be respected. That's ridiculous.

I'm done with this discussion now. It has become a farce.

Forum List

Back