Status
Not open for further replies.

ding

Confront reality
Oct 25, 2016
Houston
The Church has always venerated the Scriptures as she venerates the Lord's Body. She never ceases to present to the faithful the bread of life, taken from the one table of God's Word and Christ's Body. In Sacred Scripture, the Church constantly finds her nourishment and her strength, for she welcomes it not as a human word, but as what it really is, the word of God. In the sacred books, the Father who is in heaven comes lovingly to meet his children, and talks with them.

God is the author of Sacred Scripture. "The divinely revealed realities, which are contained and presented in the text of Sacred Scripture, have been written down under the inspiration of the Holy Spirit. For Holy Mother Church, relying on the faith of the apostolic age, accepts as sacred and canonical the books of the Old and the New Testaments, whole and entire, with all their parts, on the grounds that, written under the inspiration of the Holy Spirit, they have God as their author, and have been handed on as such to the Church herself.

God inspired the human authors of the sacred books. To compose the sacred books, God chose certain men who, all the while he employed them in this task, made full use of their own faculties and powers so that, though he acted in them and by them, it was as true authors that they consigned to writing whatever he wanted written, and no more. The inspired books teach the truth. Since therefore all that the inspired authors or sacred writers affirm should be regarded as affirmed by the Holy Spirit, we must acknowledge that the books of Scripture firmly, faithfully, and without error teach that truth which God, for the sake of our salvation, wished to see confided to the Sacred Scriptures.

Still, the Christian faith is not a "religion of the book." Christianity is the religion of the "Word" of God, a word which is not a written and mute word, but the Word is incarnate and living. If the Scriptures are not to remain a dead letter, Christ, the eternal Word of the living God, must, through the Holy Spirit, open our minds to understand the Scriptures.

In Sacred Scripture, God speaks to man in a human way. To interpret Scripture correctly, the reader must be attentive to what the human authors truly wanted to affirm, and to what God wanted to reveal to us by their words. In order to discover the sacred authors' intention, the reader must take into account the conditions of their time and culture, the literary genres in use at that time, and the modes of feeling, speaking and narrating then current. For the fact is that truth is differently presented and expressed in the various types of historical writing, in prophetical and poetical texts, and in other forms of literary expression. But since Sacred Scripture is inspired, there is another and no less important principle of correct interpretation, without which Scripture would remain a dead letter. Sacred Scripture must be read and interpreted in the light of the same Spirit by whom it was written.
  • Be especially attentive "to the content and unity of the whole Scripture". Different as the books which compose it may be, Scripture is a unity by reason of the unity of God's plan, of which Christ Jesus is the center and heart, open since his Passover.
  • Read the Scripture within "the living Tradition of the whole Church. According to a saying of the Fathers, Sacred Scripture is written principally in the Church's heart rather than in documents and records, for the Church carries in her Tradition the living memorial of God's Word, and it is the Holy Spirit who gives her the spiritual interpretation of the Scripture.
  • Be attentive to the analogy of faith. By "analogy of faith" we mean the coherence of the truths of faith among themselves and within the whole plan of Revelation.
According to an ancient tradition, one can distinguish between two senses of Scripture: the literal and the spiritual, the latter being subdivided into the allegorical, moral and anagogical senses. The profound concordance of the four senses guarantees all its richness to the living reading of Scripture in the Church. The literal sense is the meaning conveyed by the words of Scripture and discovered by exegesis, following the rules of sound interpretation: All other senses of Sacred Scripture are based on the literal. The spiritual sense. Thanks to the unity of God's plan, not only the text of Scripture but also the realities and events about which it speaks can be signs. The allegorical sense. We can acquire a more profound understanding of events by recognizing their significance in Christ; thus the crossing of the Red Sea is a sign or type of Christ's victory and also of Christian Baptism. The moral sense. The events reported in Scripture ought to lead us to act justly. As St. Paul says, they were written "for our instruction". The anagogical sense (Greek: anagoge, "leading"). We can view realities and events in terms of their eternal significance, leading us toward our true homeland: thus the Church on earth is a sign of the heavenly Jerusalem. It is the task of exegetes to work, according to these rules, towards a better understanding and explanation of the meaning of Sacred Scripture in order that their research may help the Church to form a firmer judgement. For, of course, all that has been said about the manner of interpreting Scripture is ultimately subject to the judgement of the Church which exercises the divinely conferred commission and ministry of watching over and interpreting the Word of God.

It was by the apostolic Tradition that the Church discerned which writings are to be included in the list of the sacred books. This complete list is called the canon of Scripture. It includes 46 books for the Old Testament (45 if we count Jeremiah and Lamentations as one) and 27 for the New.

God is the author of Sacred Scripture
[...]
God inspired the human authors of the sacred books. To compose the sacred books, God chose certain men who, all the while he employed them in this task, made full use of their own faculties and powers so that, though he acted in them
Curious that God
  • Had some people lie about who they really were
  • Changed the text or allowed errors, both major and minor, to be included
  • Allowed some of the scriptures to be lost forever

[...]
God inspired the human authors of the sacred books. To compose the sacred books, God chose certain men who, all the while he employed them in this task, made full use of their own faculties and powers so that, though he acted in them
Curious that God
The OP addresses that.

To interpret Scripture correctly, the reader must be attentive to what the human authors truly wanted to affirm, and to what God wanted to reveal to us by their words. In order to discover the sacred authors' intention, the reader must take into account the conditions of their time and culture, the literary genres in use at that time, and the modes of feeling, speaking and narrating then current. For the fact is that truth is differently presented and expressed in the various types of historical writing, in prophetical and poetical texts, and in other forms of literary expression. But since Sacred Scripture is inspired, there is another and no less important principle of correct interpretation, without which Scripture would remain a dead letter. Sacred Scripture must be read and interpreted in the light of the same Spirit by whom it was written.

The degrees in the perfection of men vary according to these distinctions, Concerning those who never beheld the light even for one day, but walk in continual darkness, it is written, " They know not, neither will they understand ; they walk on in darkness " (Ps. lxxxii. 5). "Truth, in spite of all its powerful manifestations, is completely withheld from them, and the following words of Scripture may be applied to them, " And now men see not the light which is bright in the skies " (Job xxxvii. 21). They are the multitude of ordinary men. ~Maimonides

[...]
Curious that God
Is your perception of God some mad scientist who controls everything? No wonder you never found THAT God. :lol:

FYI... this is YOU judging God. Yoar welcome.

[...]
Curious that God
Is your perception of God some mad scientist who controls everything? No wonder you never found THAT God. :lol:

Nope, it is me understanding God based on his actions. I don't think you understand God so much as imagine him. Sounds like a judgement on your part.

[...]
Curious that God

Nope, it is me understanding God based on his actions. I don't think you understand God so much as imagine him. Sounds like a judgement on your part.
No, it's an observation on my part. On your part you have judged God as being lacking because he allowed some people to lie about who they really were, changed the text or allowed errors both major and minor to be included in the Bible and allowed some scriptures to be lost.

You see... inherent in a judgement is a criticism. You were literally criticizing God. All I did was make an observation that you were judging God.

[...]
Curious that God

No, it's an observation on my part. On your part you have judged God as being lacking because he allowed some people to lie about who they really were, changed the text or allowed errors both major and minor to be included in the Bible and allowed some scriptures to be lost.

You see... inherent in a judgement is a criticism. You were literally criticizing God. All I did was make an observation that you were judging God.
If you want to say that judge I God, fine. His actions are certainly not anything I'd sanction.

I'd say you too are a judge of God's actions. You wrote "Using our own experiences as creators as a proxy, we know that when we create things we create them for a reason and that reason is to serve some purpose".

[...]
Curious that God

If you want to say that judge I God, fine. His actions are certainly not anything I'd sanction.

I'd say you too are a judge of God's actions. You wrote "Using our own experiences as creators as a proxy, we know that when we create things we create them for a reason and that reason is to serve some purpose".
Your problem is you chose the worst possible perception of God you can. Which is pretty odd for a guy who admittedly doesn’t have a perception of God.

How did I judge God exactly?

Why did they take out of the bible the part referring to aliens?

[...]
Curious that God

Your problem is you chose the worst possible perception of God you can. Which is pretty odd for a guy who admittedly doesn’t have a perception of God.

God wiped out just about every living thing on the planet in a flood. It's hard to see how anything could be worse than that.

You insist that God had a purpose to creation. I think you'd be very disappointed if you found out the universe was a work of God's art and humans were accidental, like ants coming to a picnic.

[...]
Curious that God

God wiped out just about every living thing on the planet in a flood. It's hard to see how anything could be worse than that.

You insist that God had a purpose to creation. I think you'd be very disappointed if you found out the universe was a work of God's art and humans were accidental, like ants coming to a picnic.
Don't you find it a little disingenuous to base your argument on a belief in a document you don't believe is true?

Now if you want to argue that God made it such that all living things die, then that would be an honest argument.

So what's it going to be? Are you going to keep making dishonest arguments or do you want to have a real discussion?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum List

Back