S. 510, the Food Safety Modernization Act

Here is my concern with the Bill in a nutshell.

For Example: If the Federal Government so chose to handle Imports into this Country, as it has handles Illegal Immigration, by refusing to take It's responsibility seriously, and obstructing Individual States when They attempt to do what the Federal Government refuses to, what is to stop the Federal Government from forcing the Import of contaminated food for what ever perverted reason or excuse it gives, and allow harm. How many way's in our lives does the Government assume control, fall asleep on the job, and refuse anyone else permission to act in it's place? I only bring this up because it sadly appears to me that the Government has more times proved itself incompetent and incapable of keeping up It's end of the deal. Be the issue the simplification of filling out Tax Forms, or understanding Tax Law, be it administration in most areas of our lives, we see redundancy, we see delay, we see great expense.

I truly like and support the Ideas and Principles in the Bill. The problem is "Will Government be able to act proficiently, capably, and within reason." How much food will be at risk of perishing because of incompetent bureaucracy? Can we trust these guy's or will the food loss end up dwarfing what Roosevelt destroyed during the Great Depression? I have a hard time trusting a Government that Obstructs that do what it refuses to do itself. I truly wish I didn't feel this way, the intentions sound noble. I'm just fed up with being screwed over.
I'm sorry you're so jaded, Intense.
I can empathize to some degree.
To believe that the FDA would intentionally cause harm is parallel to our 9-11 threads.
:cool:

Selecting a place to dine out is now even easier with the City's new restaurant inspection website. Here you’ll find health inspection results for each of New York City's 24,000 restaurants.

The Health Department conducts unannounced inspections of restaurants at least once a year. Inspectors check for compliance in food handling, food temperature, personal hygiene and vermin control. Each violation of a regulation earns a certain number of points. At the end of the inspection, the inspector totals the points, and this number is the restaurant's inspection score—the lower the score, the better. For more information about scoring, read How We Score and Grade (PDF).
Restaurant Inspection Information : NYC DOHMH

Selecting a restaurant in NOLA is even easier.... go to Gambit magazine or listen to Tom Fitzmorris. We don't need no stinking website. Of course there is also the thang about many of these restaurants being around for over 100 years. That doesn't happen many places.

For Example: If the Federal Government so chose to handle Imports into this Country, as it has handles Illegal Immigration, by refusing to take It's responsibility seriously, and obstructing Individual States when They attempt to do what the Federal Government refuses to, what is to stop the Federal Government from forcing the Import of contaminated food for what ever perverted reason or excuse it gives, and allow harm. How many way's in our lives does the Government assume control, fall asleep on the job, and refuse anyone else permission to act in it's place? I only bring this up because it sadly appears to me that the Government has more times proved itself incompetent and incapable of keeping up It's end of the deal. Be the issue the simplification of filling out Tax Forms, or understanding Tax Law, be it administration in most areas of our lives, we see redundancy, we see delay, we see great expense.

I truly like and support the Ideas and Principles in the Bill. The problem is "Will Government be able to act proficiently, capably, and within reason." How much food will be at risk of perishing because of incompetent bureaucracy? Can we trust these guy's or will the food loss end up dwarfing what Roosevelt destroyed during the Great Depression? I have a hard time trusting a Government that Obstructs that do what it refuses to do itself. I truly wish I didn't feel this way, the intentions sound noble. I'm just fed up with being screwed over.
To believe that the FDA would intentionally cause harm is parallel to our 9-11 threads.

There are going to be new jurisdictions including Homeland Security. I'm suggesting that Bureaucrat's will cover their asses like they alway's do. How much lead based shit have we been dealing with in relation to China, for example. Lead in toy's, poisoned pet food, give me a break here horty. Be realistic. Shit Happens. Shit flows down hill.

For the first time, investigators are saying the chemical that has sickened and killed pets in the United States may have been intentionally added to pet food ingredients by Chinese producers.
Food and Drug Administration investigators say the Chinese companies may have spiked products with the chemical melamine so that they would appear, in tests, to have more value as protein products.

Officials: Pet Food Poison May Have Been Intentional - ABC News

WASHINGTON, June 18 — China manufactured every one of the 24 kinds of toys recalled for safety reasons in the United States so far this year, including the enormously popular Thomas & Friends wooden train sets, a record that is causing alarm among consumer advocates, parents and regulators.

http://www.nytimes.com/2007/06/19/business/worldbusiness/19toys.html

My assessment: yet another program aimed at benefiting Big Government Cronies by making it far too expensive to run a small business.

There is no big epidemic of Americans being made ill or dying from tainted food.

It would also seem that the biggest problems come from the Mega Farms and producers. There are things I try to avoid when I can, irradiated food, genetically altered food, the stuff isn't even labeled. Fuck State Capitalism.

I agree. I avoid much of that type of food as well. I'm not as anti-GMO as you are.

The regulations, however, will be aimed to benefit such providers.

As I thought I said clearly, as we are now we wait until there is an outbreak before the investigative wheels start turning.
This bill implements control points between the supplier and consumer that would help stop an outbreak to begin with.

Bullshit. There is no way to prevent an outbreak. If there were it would be deployed already, quite likely voluntarily by a large corporation.

Yep. Deal with my local inspector quite often. Thanks for asking! :)
As much as I'm against big brother over-reaching, this is one time I do not believe that's the case.
This is once that our welfare, as it pertains to interstate commerce, is in their authority.
Intrastate commerce would be in the realm of state inspectors.
That being said, the one good logical argument I've read speaks to the cost and expanding government payroll.
To that I repeat that I agree that it is in their constitutional authority to try and protect our food supply.

Never said it was not, but they are way over reaching here.

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X2jgpGyyQW8[/ame]

Stuff like this is already happening, and this bill will only make it worse. Who is getting hurt here? Everyone knows what they are buying, and goes in with their eyes open. No one can point to a single case of anyone getting sick as a result of one of these clubs, yet the feds are determined to make them illegal.

Why?

I'm still waiting for someone to show me where it criminalizes growing and sharing food.

Personally, I never made that claim. :eusa_whistle:

Yeah, I know yup never said I did, but it was in a post that was otherwise directed my way, so I get to poke you.

There are going to be new jurisdictions including Homeland Security. I'm suggesting that Bureaucrat's will cover their asses like they alway's do. How much lead based shit have we been dealing with in relation to China, for example. Lead in toy's, poisoned pet food, give me a break here horty. Be realistic. Shit Happens. Shit flows down hill.

For the first time, investigators are saying the chemical that has sickened and killed pets in the United States may have been intentionally added to pet food ingredients by Chinese producers.
Food and Drug Administration investigators say the Chinese companies may have spiked products with the chemical melamine so that they would appear, in tests, to have more value as protein products.

WASHINGTON, June 18 — China manufactured every one of the 24 kinds of toys recalled for safety reasons in the United States so far this year, including the enormously popular Thomas & Friends wooden train sets, a record that is causing alarm among consumer advocates, parents and regulators.

Good examples with the lead shit

Good examples with the lead shit

I actually agree with you on Government having a role in making the food industry safer. It is long overdue. When it comes down to issues like irradiation, Genetic Engineering, I'm not sure who's side they are on.

Bullshit. There is no way to prevent an outbreak. If there were it would be deployed already, quite likely voluntarily by a large corporation.

Yeah, I know yup never said I did, but it was in a post that was otherwise directed my way, so I get to poke you.
What I said was, "help prevent an outbreak".
Just like there are hand washing and temperature standards in place in restaurants to *help* prevent an outbreak.
You wouldn't want to see an end to health inspections because we'll never be able to stop an idiot from wiping their nose and making a BigMac, would ya??

I know you never said anything about the 'growing and sharing'. I tried to space it far enough away. I was just repeating an unanswered question about an unsubstantiated claim.

Just like there are hand washing and temperature standards in place in restaurants to *help* prevent an outbreak.
You wouldn't want to see an end to health inspections because we'll never be able to stop an idiot from wiping their nose and making a BigMac, would ya??

I know you never said anything about the 'growing and sharing'. I tried to space it far enough away. I was just repeating an unanswered question about an unsubstantiated claim.

The numbers of outbreaks are trending down without the bill.

CDC Data & Statistics | Feature: Incidence of Foodborne Illness, 2009

The really interesting thing to note is that the process that this bill will impose on the food industry is the same protocol imposed on the seafood industry in the 90s. Interstingly enough, the HACCP tracking in the seafood industry to prevent Vibrio, and it resulted in the only increase in food borne illnesses since that time.

There are a lot of potential negative consequences in this bill, far outweighing the promised positive consequences. If the government had the track record of Delorean Motor Company I might be willing to give them a shot with this, but they are no where near that good.

Some interesting reading on the subject.

Egg Recall Hatches More Regulations - Reason Magazine

BTW.

I would like an answer to your question also, so don't take my poke personally.

The numbers of outbreaks are trending down without the bill.

CDC Data & Statistics | Feature: Incidence of Foodborne Illness, 2009

The really interesting thing to note is that the process that this bill will impose on the food industry is the same protocol imposed on the seafood industry in the 90s. Interstingly enough, the HACCP tracking in the seafood industry to prevent Vibrio, and it resulted in the only increase in food borne illnesses since that time.

There are a lot of potential negative consequences in this bill, far outweighing the promised positive consequences. If the government had the track record of Delorean Motor Company I might be willing to give them a shot with this, but they are no where near that good.

Some interesting reading on the subject.

Egg Recall Hatches More Regulations - Reason Magazine

BTW.

I would like an answer to your question also, so don't take my poke personally.
Never do.
Gonna read your links and probably turn in

The G Soros/ Monsanto Food Bill.
Got to love the New Breed of Nazis
News just came over the wire yesterday.
Due to a procedural error, the Bill is going nowhere.
It was reported, that bills of this type must start as House bills. So the bill is essentially dead. The Senate has to bring it's bill to the House for consideration.
That will not happen before the New Congress is seated.
Bye bye bill.

So medium sized groves that are harvested by illegals and irrigated with their sewer water shouldn't be inspected for safety in the same manner as larger growers?.

no sir that not how it works, the gov. doesn't get to legislate ooops, mandate via council fiat solution's looking for problems.

I agree, on the surface who wouldn't want clean and efficient this or that, notice they always couch this kind of reg. overreach with the emotional and empirically deficient hey we are doing to clean this or make that efficient ..... well my questions/comments is, empirical data first please- show me where it is NOT so clean or NOT so efficient.

you do understand this will cost in terms of fees and co. regulatory compliance..who do you think the end pays for that?

Last edited:
The G Soros/ Monsanto Food Bill.
Got to love the New Breed of Nazis
News just came over the wire yesterday.
Due to a procedural error, the Bill is going nowhere.
It was reported, that bills of this type must start as House bills. So the bill is essentially dead. The Senate has to bring it's bill to the House for consideration.
That will not happen before the New Congress is seated.
Bye bye bill.

hurrah. thx.

I would be in support of such legislation if:...The law were enforced vigorously and equally. If it were enforced free of political considerations(i.e. ignoring the political contributions and lobbying of large food producing companies) and of course if the laws were enforced without passion or prejudice.
Ok, now it's time to return from la la land.

New Topics

Forum List

Back